Family event

Guest confused90

9 hours ago, BhForce said:

Huh? What exactly are you referencing, bro? 

Guru Nanak Dev ji's compositions are interpreted by some Sikhs as not anti-meat (different from pro-meat). I'm not saying they are, just that some Sikhs think that.

Bhagat Kabir ji's compositions, on the other hand, are generally held to be anti-meat.

But regardless of how you interpret these compositions, they only address the question of eating meat or not. 

They do not, to my mind, address whether you should go to where meat is being eaten.

Or do they?

You extrapolate what they say about eating meat (either yes or no or it doesn't matter), and then extend those pearls of knowledge to other situations, i.e. "meat eating is / isn't endorsed, so I suppose being situated near meat and meat eaters is / isn't endorsed, too." Which decision you arrive at on the subject depends on yourself (from devotion, compassion, practicality, etc) and where you draw the line... or not.

Sometimes I wonder whether religious individuals would simply be better off with a rule book of do's and don'ts. Anything more than binary is too much to comprehend for our people.

Guest guest

Guest confused90 I would not go. Firstly because of the meat and secondly celebrating people's birthdays is nothing but paganism, self-idolatry at it's finest. Look into it's history, it's an ancient practice of glorifying one's birth and the rituals of  birthday cakes, lighting candles, making wishes etc are nothing but the worship of the moon goddess and witchcraft/black magic. Please stay away from these things and research this further. Same thing with Easter, Xmas, Valentines, Halloween etc. All ancient pagan celebrations repackaged for dumb people to follow. It's not just harmless fun, but has deep meaning. Khalsa needs to stay awake and free from these evil things.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

I don't eat meat or drink but I don't avoid being amongst meat eaters and drinkers at weddings and parties etc because one of my hobbies is to give people lectures. I enjoy it immensely.? But you know what, a few years ago I was sitting amongst the sangat at Southall's Park Avenue Gurdwara for an evening programme. It was packed. As I was sitting there I started to look around at people and started to wonder what 'good sangat' really is. I could go to a wedding reception party and I would be surrounded by people that drink, are drunk, and eat copiuos amounts of meat but are good honest hard-working people. And yet here I was in the Gurdwara amongst the sangat and as i looked around me I saw committee members rich from the money they steal......I saw uncles who defraud the insurance agencies......I saw old and not so old that don't like to work so hard because they like to pray instead who fund that life by claiming social benefits....I saw amritdhari couples who live together but are officially 'divorced' because it gives extra tax and child allowance social benefits....all around me I saw afghan sikh men in turbans and on the other side were their wives every one of whom had cut and dyed ginger / brunette / blonde hair because these people believe Sikhi is only for the men and women are supposed to be housewives and keep themselves attractive or their men. I looked around and I thought to myself "ah....so this is what they mean by 'good sangat'

Sitting amongst these people I was not overcome with a burning desire to commit insurance fraud, steal people's money, scrounge off the state and get my wife to dress like a slapper. Same with that party you've been invited to. You won't have an overwhelming desire to eat meat and drink alcohol just by being with them. By and large, from my experience, I think you'll find them to be better sangat in the sense that they're good honest hard-working people. Go to the party. Enjwoy kar