Sikhi Parchaar in UK

Dsinghd

54 minutes ago, Dsinghdp said:

The following did a lot of Parchaar for Sikhi in UK in the 1960s and 70s. Our numbers were very low then compared to now.

1) Sant Isher Singh Rara Sahib

I remember those days. Well some of the late 70s anyway.

Though numbers may have been lower, being fresh immigrants meant that we weren't as fragmented as a community as we are now (which is a natural phenomenon given our ambitious nature). People clung together a bit more then, especially in the face of open hostility/racism. But that's not to idealise the past, like everyone was best buddies or something. 

5 odd generations later, and we have the great grandchildren of these people about, and they are in all different sorts of positions culturally, religiously, economically and geographically. 

Sant Isher Singh was a big thing, especially his visits to East London. 

Some of their bachans are on youtube. I think Sabh13 website has bachans and happenings of Baba Isher Singh Rara Sahib. 

When you read the sakhis of such mahapurakhs, it’s amazing how much prem they had for Guru Ji and for Akaal Purakh. They would endure harsh winters, allow their clothes to be come tattered but did not stop their naam simran. 

We used to visit Nanaksar in Coventry when Baba Mihan Singh Ji were there. Sadly I was too young to understand what was going on and too stupid to listen. 

I remember families passing around VHS tapes of Baba Isher Singh's diwaans to watch on Sunday evenings. I was barely out of nappies at the time, but I immediately knew when my parents had started watching those videos when I'd hear the unique sound of Baba Ji's harmonium and their particular style of raags they'd use in their kirtan. I was too young to understand what was being said, but stuff like that stays with a kid in a good way. 

2 hours ago, Wicked Warrior said:

Some of their bachans are on youtube. I think Sabh13 website has bachans and happenings of Baba Isher Singh Rara Sahib. 

When you read the sakhis of such mahapurakhs, it’s amazing how much prem they had for Guru Ji and for Akaal Purakh. They would endure harsh winters, allow their clothes to be come tattered but did not stop their naam simran. 

We used to visit Nanaksar in Coventry when Baba Mihan Singh Ji were there. Sadly I was too young to understand what was going on and too stupid to listen. 

2 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

I remember families passing around VHS tapes of Baba Isher Singh's diwaans to watch on Sunday evenings. I was barely out of nappies at the time, but I immediately knew when my parents had started watching those videos when I'd hear the unique sound of Baba Ji's harmonium and their particular style of raags they'd use in their kirtan. I was too young to understand what was being said, but stuff like that stays with a kid in a good way. 

He was apparently my grandpa's friend. He came to our house twice just prior to passing away (must have been late 70s), and I was a little boy. Don't remember him specifically and at that age I would have thought: 'Whose this bloke with the white clothes and shades on?' Must have grown up hearing his kirtan at home when VERY young because when I heard it again in my mid 30s, it sounded so familiar and primal to me. It was like deja vu.

Only got to talk to grandpa on his deathbed. There were so many questions I wanted to ask him, but alas.