Questions about Sikh religion

Hello

I am new on here. 

I am not sure if people here mind if a Christian joins? I am interested in the Sikh religion. I have heard there are many similarities and i have certain questions. 

Is it ok to ask? I hasten to say i believe in respecting everyone and that dialogue is healthy. People should communicate with each other. 

Hey, welcome! I'm sure nobody will have a problem with you. Sikhism is a Dharmic faith.

We respect other faiths (which would include Christianity) and their freedom to practice these faiths but do not regard Jesus Christ as a prophet in any special regard. I think there is very little if any mention of him in our scripture or even in any historical literature of ours.

58 minutes ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Hello

I am new on here. 

I am not sure if people here mind if a Christian joins? I am interested in the Sikh religion. I have heard there are many similarities and i have certain questions. 

Is it ok to ask? I hasten to say i believe in respecting everyone and that dialogue is healthy. People should communicate with each other. 

Welcome welcome my Christian friend. No not at all. 

Any faith is free to join and partake in discussion. We do not try and convert people like many other faiths do. 

Ask away. 

Also this is a video explaining some beliefs of our faith that you may find useful. 

Thank you. I have sikh friends and we have good discussions. One matter came up recently. About the devil. In our Bible he certainly features, especially in how he tempted Christ during his 40 days fast in the desert. A mature sikh lady i know is adamant that the same thing occurred to one of your Gurus. So do your holy scriptures have reference to this? Do Sikhs believe in Satan orcthe devil?

That video was really good thanks. 

I am church of England, baptised and confirmed as an adult. Very deeply a Christian. So i am confident in my faith. I am fascinated at the many similarities in the teaching in the Bible and in Sikhi. I greatly admire Sikhs for your history of great courage especially. 

I am impressed immediately actually at the warm welcome. I know Sikhs never cause trouble in the world. It is a good peaceful religion. I know you however are extremely effective at defending yourselves. If anyone wants to be foolish enough to attack you, they always regret it! 

Sikhism is more than just a religion, that is just a part of it - I would say it has been made for the people to protect their freedom and to save them from oppression which I regret to say is usually caused/manipulated by the stakeholders in a religion and those that influence it's direction.

Sikhs do not believe in the abrahamic definition of a devil as an entity but instead refer to the negativity in this world as a collective (what we call 'Kalyug'). We believe everything is the creator including existence and so it wouldn't make sense for there to be a God vs Devil stereotype. 

The Sikhs have been tempted during many strenuous episodes of war/betrayal and a good example of this would be the two younger children of the 10th leader (Guru Gobind Singh Jee) - both under the age of 10 who were offered riches and kingdom-ship however they stood by their faith resulting in their demise (martyrdom) by being bricked alive. Again, the mughals who tempted and then killed them would not so much be referred to as the DEVIL but certainly the evil amongst men.

16 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Thank you. I have sikh friends and we have good discussions. One matter came up recently. About the devil. In our Bible he certainly features, especially in how he tempted Christ during his 40 days fast in the desert. A mature sikh lady i know is adamant that the same thing occurred to one of your Gurus. So do your holy scriptures have reference to this? Do Sikhs believe in Satan orcthe devil?

Jesus can't be compared to the Gurus.  No Guru was tested by the devil.  Some random Sikh woman telling you means nothing.  She has no evidence and is making things up from thin air. The Gurus are God and God cannot be tested by anything.

17 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

My first question is: what do you Sikh people think of Christians? I have heard you respect Jesus Christ as a prophet. 

Sikhi is much more powerful than Christianity because we have 10 Gurus. We have Guru Granth Sahib (actually written by the Gurus themselves). Our scripture is much more vast, has a deeper meaning and can be sung.