Questions about Sikh religion

On 3/17/2019 at 9:43 PM, Christiangirl52 said:

Hello

I am not sure if people here mind if a Christian joins? I am interested in the Sikh religion. I have heard there are many similarities and i have certain questions. 

Is it ok to ask? I hasten to say i believe in respecting everyone and that dialogue is healthy. People should communicate with each other. 

You may surely ask and you are most welcome

On 3/17/2019 at 10:05 PM, Christiangirl52 said:

My first question is: what do you Sikh people think of Christians? I have heard you respect Jesus Christ as a prophet. 

How and what people think, that is up to them, the thing is, in Guru Granth Sahib, our  Gurus tell us, that the Light is in each and everyone, moreover He Himself is the Light.

So you see, Guru Jee is saying that that formless God, is all Light, and it is so to say, that very flame or a ray of that Light, permeates in all beings. Bodies are not our reality,  but just mere  coverings, which one day shall decay and perish away. 

The souls are immortal, and same in radiance/refulgence and purity in all beings, for all have emanated from Him. There are no such different creators  for different races, cultures or creeds.

Just imagine, if the mighty Ocean, has no nationality, caste color or creed, what caste, creed or color will the drops of that Ocean have?

If the Sun has no caste, creed, or nationality, what caste, creed, or color, will have the simple rays emanating from that Sun?

We see shapes, colors , sizes, genders due to the gross matter bodily coverings,  and  also subtle  coverings such as mental  ones on the soul, but again, the souls are same in all beings, which carry His Light and purity.

If at all there ever there are any differences, that is at the mind level. 

It is the mind which makes one a devil, a wicked, a thief, a thug, a  hermit, an angel or a good human being.

It all depends how pure is the mind.

The more the mind is purer, the more the  virtues are visble in that person or being.

The more of dirt accumulated on that particular mind, the more that person is full of vices and negativity, and has tendency for hatred, anger, lust, jealous, egoistic, arrogant, bullying, and so on ..... 

Once we are able to remove the dirt from our minds, then we all have His same refulgence of light and wisdom.

So sister,  Sikhs have quite a broad mind outlook, thus more tolerant,  thanks to the teachings of our beloved Gurus. For we know all are His created beings. He created them all, so whom to complain or what for? 

Can He make mistakes like us foolish people and then try to repair them?  If no is the answer, then why so much fuss and hatred?

There is a famous saying, which says: it is good to pray anywhere you may want to , but it is more important how you treat others with truthfullness and honesty, otherwise none of your prayers shall be accepted at His court/door. 

I would suggest you to go through the Granth Sahib by yourself, and discover the precious spiritual jewels contained in it,  and not because of that you should fear from being converted in any way, but just see and realize, the  inmense wisdom and the inmense love of the Lord for His souls.

Just in few words, sikhee is mainly characterized for being a path of transformation, not by words but by the deed of folowing implicitly the teachings of Guru Sahiban with love and devotion, by first becoming a good human being, in order to become that much pure, that in the end, by His Grace alone,  the soul sikh, merges in the Lord Satnam/Waheguru/Ikoankar.

Sister, stay blessed.

Sat Sree Akal.

On 3/18/2019 at 3:53 PM, Akalifauj said:

Jesus can't be compared to the Gurus.  No Guru was tested by the devil.  Some random Sikh woman telling you means nothing.  She has no evidence and is making things up from thin air. The Gurus are God and God cannot be tested by anything.

Hi

You say Gurus are God. Could you clarify this? Are the 10 Gurus manifestations of God on earth or are were they each prophets? 

(Jesus is clearly the Son of God who was born among us. He was fully therefore God and fully Man). He was tested in the desert by the Devil and he answered the 3 questions the Devil asked. So Jesus faced and defeated the same temptations as mankind. 

Your beliefs are similar but with important differences. 

10 minutes ago, Christiangirl52 said:

You say Gurus are God. Could you clarify this? Are the 10 Gurus manifestations of God on earth or are were they each prophets? 

Yes, the Sikhs, for the most part, believe that the Gurus were and are God. There are a few members of this forum that don't believe that.

ਗੁਰੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੋਇ ॥੪॥੭॥੯॥

Nanak is the Guru; Nanak is God Himself. ||4||7||9||

Guru Arjun Dev (5th Guru) p864

6 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Hi

(Jesus is clearly the Son of God who was born among us. He was fully therefore God and fully Man). He was tested in the desert by the Devil and he answered the 3 questions the Devil asked. So Jesus faced and defeated the same temptations as mankind. 

Your beliefs are similar but with important differences. 

Can you provide proof of who you claim jesus to be?

30 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

Can you provide proof of who you claim jesus to be?

Ah proof. The Bible itself. Old testament predicted Jesus birth countless times. The four Gospels Mathew Mark Luke and John were accurate eye witness accounts of his 3 year ministry.  There is an incredible amount of evidence of Christ's life and teachings. All his 12 disciples spread His Word and each died terrible deaths. Paul was responsible for writing more than one third of the new testament - mainly in the form of  his letters to the new christian churches. His letters were written mostly from prisons and eventually he was beheaded after spreading the good news of Christ over thousands of miles.

It is otherwise best for one to read countless books for rich amounts of evidence and proof. The Bible comes alive when reading with the help of faith and the Holy Spirit. It flows all through with the same 'voice' despite being written by so many authors over many different years. We believe it is God speaking direct to our hearts. 

I continue to read the Bible, books and listen to teachers. I have had one incredibly powerful experience of the Holy Spirit which proved to me that Jesus loves not only me but all mankind. He sacrificed Himself to prove His love. Each person has to decide for themselves about Jesus. I can only say He has transformed me completely and my life now is full of meaning and i have strength and peace as never before. 

So now tell me how your Holy Book affects you please? God speaks to you. 

We believe that there is no difference between the word (bani) and the Guru. The word is the guru and the guru is the bani

Image result for bani guru guru hai hai bani

Our 10th Guru, Guru Gobind Singh ji told us that if a Sikh desires his presence then a Sikh should sit in the presence of Guru Granth Sahib ji and listen to the word/bani

ਜੋ ਸਿੱਖ ਗੁਰ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕੀ ਚਾਹਿ

Jō sikkh gur darsaan kī cāhi

The Sikh desirous of Guru’s Darshan,

ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ ਜੀ : ਰਹਿਤ ਨਾਮਾ ਪੰ. ੩੫ 

ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕਰੇ ਗੰ੍ਰ੍ਰ੍ਰਥ ਜੀ ਆਹਿ ॥ (੧੪)

Darsaan karē garrrath jī āhi ॥ (14)

Should go and have the Darshan of Granth Jee,(14)

ਭਾਈ ਨੰਦ ਲਾਲ ਜੀ : ਰਹਿਤ ਨਾਮਾ ਪੰ. ੩੬