Questions about Sikh religion

Well, i was amazed that despite so much evidence, the Jews do not believe Jesus Christ is the Messiah.  His birth and ministry was highly accurately professied in numerous places in the old testament - especially the book of Isiah.  Apparently they are still waiting for whoever they expect still to come. We christians  await the Second Coming when Jesus will create a new heaven and earth and we shall be with Him. Beyond this i have no real knowledge. I will soon join a Jewish forum and converse with them as i really would like to know so much from Jews themselves! We should talk peacefully to one another. 

As for the Old Testament , i am reasonably acquainted with it but i concentrate on the New mainly. I am focussed on Christ's ministry, teachings and guidance in all aspects of life, as told through the 4 main gospels and books written by his apostles - especially St Paul. Paul was an incredible man who started out killing Christians then after being converted at Damascus,  becoming the greatest apostle of all. A huge part of the New Testament is written by Paul through his letters from prisons. 

2 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Hi

Question: if Sikhism is against evangelising at all  then how does the religion grow in numbers?  Do you want people of other cultures to become Sikh? I know they do- so it must be naturally by chance i presume. 

Also i know muslims have caused a lot of trouble for Sikhs over a long time. Briefly, is their goal to make Sikh people convert? I presume there has been no problem between Sikhs and Christians - we seem to have respect and leave each other be!

Sikhi is not against preaching. Our Guru's preached themselves but the British when they invaded tried to tell people that we're not a preaching faith but we are.

The difference is that we don't go out to fully convert someone by force. We will tell them the basic facts and then if they want to convert great. If they don't that's also fine, as long as you take the main principle of chanting the creators name with love and singing his praises.

Just to clear up the confusion we do preach and do convert to Sikhi everyday. But we're not going to force them against their will.

That is a very reasonable and fair system may i say. 

Many christian denominations are too pushy. Actually - we have so many denominations! I am Anglican. 

Does Sikhi have variations? 

59 minutes ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Sikhi is not against preaching. Our Guru's preached themselves but the British when they invaded tried to tell people that we're not a preaching faith but we are.

Absolutely.

Another one of their insidious 'Jedi mind tricks' that too many uninformed and simple-minded apnay keep repeating like it is a part of Sikhi. 

55 minutes ago, Christiangirl52 said:

That is a very reasonable and fair system may i say. 

Many christian denominations are too pushy. Actually - we have so many denominations! I am Anglican. 

Does Sikhi have variations? 

Well the core of Sikhi is always the same but there are different types of Sikhs but we all have the same base and have to practice the same lifestyle.

For example there are Nihang (warrior) Sikhs, Taksali Sikhs, AKJ Sikhs. Each one has more of a different emphasis. We all do the same daily prayers, some like to add extra, some like to do more Kirtan (God's praises in musical form), some like to have perfect pronounciation of Gurbani. You can call it a denomination (if you want) but it's not really similar to the difference between Catholics and Protestants. It's more of a group of people with a liking to particular things in Sikhi

However there are some sects which have gone way off like Naamdharis and Radha Swamis. Be aware that these people are not Sikhs. They believe in a physical person not Sri Guru Granth Sahib being the Guru, even though Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji (the 10th Guru) said know the scripture as the eternal, everlasting Guru.

@Christiangirl52

That's interesting, I think the main reason they rejected him despite Jesus being Jew himself is because for Jews the messiah and God are 2 different things. Jews don't believe that God takes human form or anything materialistic but obviously Jesus claimed to be God in mans form.  Think that's the same reason why Muslims reject Jesus as God because they believe God doesn't take human or any other materialistic form. 

Yeah Paul is facinating, he went from murdering Christians to beoming one. Facinating story. 

Yeah different Christians sects see the old testament with different importance. My friend is a Baptist and she gives a lot of importance to the old testament, in fact so much of what she does and believes is from the old testament. She takes her shoes of at her church because she said that in the old testament God asked moses to take his sandals off  before he spoke to him. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:26 AM, Christiangirl52 said:

I never do! I feel if anyone wishes to read the Bible they are free to do so. My focus is my personal faith in Christ and my example how i live. The proof of my God is in my behaviour,  my love for my fellow humans. 

If anyone wants to discuss God with me i am happy to do it. My own testimony, experience and life is all i have to offer. 

You see my life was in darkness and despair for a long time. I believed God did not exist. Once i discovered He does, my whole outlook and life changed. People who believe, including all of you, are different. The heart changes and God can work through us to spread His message of love to all. 

I don't know if anyone thinks i am making sense! 

You are making many statements here.  Making claims on what the bible contains and who jesus is.  It is only right to ask for quotes for these claims.  I know directly you did not ask for Gurbani, but it was implied and members here provided them.

If your personal faith (christianity) is your focus on life, then why are you here where Sikhs  discuss social issues in their communities.  You would have been focused on the Bible and how to implement it in your life. Instead you are here on this forum. We on this forum do not focus on Jesus Christ and there is no reason for you to be here, according to your own statement.

Jesus did not write the Bible, so the Bible are the writings of what certain people claim to be the teachings of Jesus Christ. You as a Christian have to take a leap of blind faith to believe the writings contained in the Bible are accurate and the words of Jesus Christ. So why be a Christian when other religions like Islam and Buddhism are similar like christianity; their prophet did not write their holy book?
How do you know the Bible is the word of God? If you say through personal experience you know it's the word of God. Then anyone else from a different faith can say through personal experience the Bible is not the word of God but their holy book is.

I'm not attacking you or christianity but being very critical of your claims. There are many social justice warriors on this site and they are very scared of this critical thinking. I say one word and they feel attacked. So they will be coming to your rescue soon. But being critical of your own beliefs is a good thing. Had Jesus Christ wrote the Bible you could have total blind faith and it would have merit in the context of following Jesus Christ. But frankly this is not the case. You read the words in the Bible written by those who followed Jesus Christ. So your faith is not in Jesus Christ but those who wrote the Bible. Blindly you are following their words. And blindly you are following their belief on God. Maybe you disagree with them on some places and hold your own belief to be true, but your belief is no better than their's because neither of you are Jesus Christ.

God is half baked for Christians, Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, and other religions, except for one that is Sikhi. All these religions prophet never wrote down about God and those who did, attributed his existence to some form of creation, which puts limits on God. Some denied God existence. Sikhi doesn't fall into this behavior because the teaches came from God and were written down by the Gurus. Sikhs can have blind faith in Gurbani because the teaches are directly from God. When it comes to Sikhi there is no, my belief. The Sikh is being directly taught by God and personal beliefs don't hold up to God's teachings. Critically and honestly no Christian can say the same for the Bible. This is where things get very difficult and it's hard to swallow for majority of Christians. They are so attached to the Bible they don't want to see the truth. They rather go on knowing Jesus Christ did not write the Bible and it could contain wrong teachings. But keep telling yourself it's the word of God and maybe a lie will become true. This is no way to live your life. Bhagat kabir ji was born in a Muslim family but he didn't stay a Muslim. Bhagat kabir ji was a true seeker of God and when he met Guru Nanak Dev ji, he fully accepted the teachings of Guru Nanak Dev ji and left behind all his old ways of seeking God.

Many of these sjw, every religion is the same, illerate people will yell at me now. They don't want to hear these words. They don't want to learn about Sikhi or any other religion. They only want to force their beliefs on others. Throughout my post to you I never forced you or threatened you to accept what I am saying. But they will label me as a bully. They want to play the victim all the time. They are always on the ground rolled up in a ball crying wolf. Don't let these people influence you to not critically think about your beliefs. They don't even know what they believe because any time their mind starts to evaluate their thought they start to throw a fit and start crying.  They hear an opposing view and they need to see a counselor regularly. You are probably wondering why I am addressing the sjw. Just wait for it, the trolls are lurking in shadows. Just give it a minute.

1 hour ago, Akalifauj said:

You are making many statements here.  Making claims on what the bible contains and who jesus is.  It is only right to ask for quotes for these claims.  I know directly you did not ask for Gurbani, but it was implied and members here provided them.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ

Sat Sri Akaal Bhai Sahib,

There's no need to ask for bible quotes. If sister feels like providing some that's great but it's fine. She interested in Sikhi and we're here to tell here the greatness of our Gurus.

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ

Well there are valid points of view here. No matter. We each have our faith . i am here because i believe in open dialogue between faiths. It is the way forward. In peace to understand snd influence each other for the common good. 

I am no theologian. I cannot take up and argue each point made. No doubt i will be defeated by better brains!  But i do believe that our Bible is the direct word of God. Written by many writers, in 66 separate books, each inspired and guided by the Holy Spirit. This is clear to me in my heart as i read any book of the Bible. The same voice speaks throughout.  This is what all true Christians believe. We know the validity and truths are only proved by their fruits. That is, the way true Christians live. In Britain, digressing a bit here, it was Christians who built the foundations of all the education and health systems which benefit all. Christianity upon which our legal system hangs. 

Can anyone point to any teaching of Christ that is not good and has its roots in love?. Our first commandments are: to love God with all our minds, souls and strength and second to love our neighbour as ourselves. The laws hangs on these two principles. We are not deluded in believing our Bible.. It is our best, in fact only, guide to living out the Word of God.  

16 hours ago, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Well the core of Sikhi is always the same but there are different types of Sikhs but we all have the same base and have to practice the same lifestyle.

For example there are Nihang (warrior) Sikhs, Taksali Sikhs, AKJ Sikhs. Each one has more of a different emphasis. We all do the same daily prayers, some like to add extra, some like to do more Kirtan (God's praises in musical form), some like to have perfect pronounciation of Gurbani. You can call it a denomination (if you want) but it's not really similar to the difference between Catholics and Protestants. It's more of a group of people with a liking to particular things in Sikhi

However there are some sects which have gone way off like Naamdharis and Radha Swamis. Be aware that these people are not Sikhs. They believe in a physical person not Sri Guru Granth Sahib being the Guru, even though Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji (the 10th Guru) said know the scripture as the eternal, everlasting Guru.

And 3ho aren't sikh too