Questions about Sikh religion

21 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Well there are valid points of view here. No matter. We each have our faith . i am here because i believe in open dialogue between faiths. It is the way forward. In peace to understand snd influence each other for the common good. 

I am no theologian. I cannot take up and argue each point made. No doubt i will be defeated by better brains!  But i do believe that our Bible is the direct word of God. Written by many writers, in 66 separate books, each inspired and guided by the Holy Spirit. This is clear to me in my heart as i read any book of the Bible. The same voice speaks throughout.  This is what all true Christians believe. We know the validity and truths are only proved by their fruits. That is, the way true Christians live. In Britain, digressing a bit here, it was Christians who built the foundations of all the education and health systems which benefit all. Christianity upon which our legal system hangs. 

Can anyone point to any teaching of Christ that is not good and has its roots in love?. Our first commandments are: to love God with all our minds, souls and strength and second to love our neighbour as ourselves. The laws hangs on these two principles. We are not deluded in believing our Bible.. It is our best, in fact only, guide to living out the Word of God.  

I really like christianity. It was the basis for alot of good works and good law in america too. Like samiritan law, quakers being pacifists etc. Religious freedom was written into law because of all the fighting between different christian denominations. This later benefitted other religions too. 

However one teaching of Christ, I can say does not sit right with me. It is that only people who believe in christ will be saved. Others will not. Also the concept of eternal hell is a bit daunting. 

Overall, christianity is a great religion and Jesus Christs message of love was quite revolutionary for that time. Im glad it still resonates to westerners like yourself today. When most of christianitys message are already part of the culture and society so that athiests feel there is no need for religion. But I am glad, ppl still believe in God and learn from the ancients. 

Hi interesting, two good points you raise. 

It is indeed crystal clear in the gospels that only those who know and accept Jesus Christ as Saviour shall join Him in Heaven to live eternally. Only those born again in spirit. He came down to us, sacrificed himself for us, dying the most shameful painful death but he rose again after 3 days. He conquered death and the devil. 

Hell is to christians a place where God is not there. A place for those who choose to deny His existence and who reject Him. A desolate place. People choose to go there. God never forces anyone. He gave us free will and thus we must choose. I believe upon our death we are judged. Everything we do in this life must be accounted for. 

Personally i fear one type of human the most. The atheist. Such a man is answerable to nobody. Look around and such people are numerous. They live without fear and do great harm if they get to positions of authority. The dictators who rule over regimes like North Korea. In such countries christians are tortured and killed for their faith. It's happening on a huge scale but is never reported in the media. Christians are being murdered in many countries including India and Pakistan. Churches are targeted. By evil people. But Christians believe vengeance belongs to God. All crimes will be answered for. 

Sikhs are not enemies of Christians of course. I am afraid it is often muslims who cause the trouble for everyone. 

6 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Hi interesting, two good points you raise. 

It is indeed crystal clear in the gospels that only those who know and accept Jesus Christ as Saviour shall join Him in Heaven to live eternally. Only those born again in spirit. He came down to us, sacrificed himself for us, dying the most shameful painful death but he rose again after 3 days. He conquered death and the devil. 

Hell is to christians a place where God is not there. A place for those who choose to deny His existence and who reject Him. A desolate place. People choose to go there. God never forces anyone. He gave us free will and thus we must choose. I believe upon our death we are judged. Everything we do in this life must be accounted for. 

Personally i fear one type of human the most. The atheist. Such a man is answerable to nobody. Look around and such people are numerous. They live without fear and do great harm if they get to positions of authority. The dictators who rule over regimes like North Korea. In such countries christians are tortured and killed for their faith. It's happening on a huge scale but is never reported in the media. Christians are being murdered in many countries including India and Pakistan. Churches are targeted. By evil people. But Christians believe vengeance belongs to God. All crimes will be answered for. 

Sikhs are not enemies of Christians of course. I am afraid it is often muslims who cause the trouble for everyone. 

So your religion teaches you to blame muslims for causing trouble for everyone?

Our religion teaches us how to treat the whole human race as one.

7 hours ago, Christiangirl52 said:

Hi interesting, two good pointslĺ

I never heard of hell described that way before. Usually its all hellfire and brimstone. Thats really interesting that you say, people actually would choose hell. Kinda makes sense to me. In heaven, its mostly singing gods praises and beimg good. Most ppl would find that boring :)

Unless theyve managed to raise their senses and mindset above trivial things and learned to strive for inner peace. So i guess earth is training for us to handle the utmost 'peace' -cough boredom- of heaven lol

Of course we believe that what we do on earth is accounted for too. All religions do, even buddhism. But we believe that if u fail, God is merciful to let u try again. And again until weve mastered the lesson. 

On 3/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, RajKaregaKhalsa1 said:

Sikhi is not against preaching. Our Guru's preached themselves but the British when they invaded tried to tell people that we're not a preaching faith but we are.

The difference is that we don't go out to fully convert someone by force. We will tell them the basic facts and then if they want to convert great. If they don't that's also fine, as long as you take the main principle of chanting the creators name with love and singing his praises.

Just to clear up the confusion we do preach and do convert to Sikhi everyday. But we're not going to force them against their will.

The key difference is with Christianity and Muslims. They go around saying other faiths are wrong and that you should follow their faith. 

Whereas Sikhs only talk about Sikhism. We dont bad mouth other faiths. So Sikhs welcome converts but dont try and change someones religion or put pressure to convert. 

On 3/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Absolutely.

Another one of their insidious 'Jedi mind tricks' that too many uninformed and simple-minded apnay keep repeating like it is a part of Sikhi. 

Agreed. I mean, where do they think the current Sikhs came from? Sikhmart?

On 3/27/2019 at 12:48 AM, Christiangirl52 said:

So your gurus never said to attempt to spread your religion? Surely this has to be done to some extent? 

The fact is that some Sikhs have taken to saying what the poster above said (that Sikhs are not supposed to preach).

It would be more accurate to say that the Sikhs prefer to tell people about Dharma (religious obligation) without regarding to religious specifics while also putting forth Sikhism as the best option. Then, people who are desiring to do so, can adopt Sikhism.

19 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

However one teaching of Christ, I can say does not sit right with me. It is that only people who believe in christ will be saved. Others will not. Also the concept of eternal hell is a bit daunting. 

Who says it was his teaching? He didn't write the Bible.