Back to Nanakshahi calendar?

Dsinghd

21 hours ago, BhForce said:

Well, are you denying that the PSEB published his book?

Or are you questioning whether CM Beant Singh authorized it?

I believe his book was published in 1994? Beant Singh died in 1993, right? But the question is, before his death, did Beant Singh authorize the PSEB to publish Purewal's work?

If so, it totally destroys any fig leaf of pretense that Purewal might have to be pro-Sikh.

Purewal needs to be questioned as to who he met with in order to get funding to publish his work. Did he meet with Beant Singh? I would like to see if he denies or accepts it. And if there is  proof of a meeting (as in visitor logs).

Who was he working for in those days? What was his day job? If calendar dabbling was his day job, who was funding him? The Panth deserves to know.

Specifically if CM Beant Sio authorized it.

Correlation doesn't mean causation.

• 1 year later...
On 3/25/2019 at 6:44 AM, FreshMind13 said:
On 3/24/2019 at 9:54 PM, BhForce said:

If that's the case, go ahead and post the link.

Perhaps a reason for that might be the fact that Purewal himself made emotional/political arguments in his own PDF arguing for his calendar. I don't see why Purewal should get to make non-technical points and Nishan Singh should not.

Here is the link, I recommend you watch it with an open mind.

Just watching this now. Again I stand by my statement that Purewal hasn't a bit of common sense.

Even if he is "the best astronomer ever", that doesn't give him the right to push the Panth around.

Given what we are facing right now with the Farmer's Protest and other matters of our very existence and you have so many people of all jathebandis, mona/kesadhari/amritdhari even Hindus coming together and everybody who is doing or saying anything to destroy unity is not appreciated, it's as clear as day that stuff like switching up calendars is completely irrelevant to our Panth at the moment.

Again, this is assuming Purewal's calendar notions are 100% correct.

I would like to hear from anybody who thinks calendars is the most important issue for us right now.

Why was my reply deleted?

Here is my original reply:

Yes, at the current moment the calendar issue should obviously take backstage as with any other issue. But this thread was started and the last reply was more than a year before the Kisaan Protest. More over, this issue was solved in 2003 when a concensus was made. This calendar thing only became an issue in 2010 when SGPC out of blue (due to Badal's orders) screwed and toyed with the calendar.

1. What do you mean he has no common sense? Give an example?

2. When has Purewal pushed the Panth around? He was comissioned to create a calendar and did his job. Now he has spent over 2 decades defending his work hearing the same dumb arguments over and over again by people who don't know the basics of astronomical mathematics or don't even know the true Bikrami dates of Gurpurabs.

If by common sense you mean that he is giving too many deep technical points that no average person won't understand, then ask the question why is this even needed? Why are the personal vendettas of 3 people (Col. Surjit Singh Nishan, Anurag Singh, and Harjinder Singh Dilgeer [who does nindia of Dasam Pita's bani]) putting the Panth in confusion.

Also, don't take this daas as a blind supporter of Purewal. I have disagreements with him as well. Purewal believes that 1 Phagan should be celebrated as Bandi Chhorr Divas as that was the day Guru Hargobind Patshah returned to Amritsar. I disagree and would like to keep the status quo of celebrating Guru Sahibs release from Gwalior on Diwali. However, we both do agree that Diwali wasn't the day Guru Sahib returned to Amritsar. Purewal also believes Holla Mohalla should be celebrated on 1 Chet, as Holi/Holla mark the start of the New Year. I understand his point, but I also see no problem with celebrating a day after Holi (the status quo).

This doesn't matter as in the 2003 version of the calendar, 3 dates: Guru Nanak Dev Ji Parkash, Holla Mohalla, and Bandi Chhorr were kept on Katak Sudi Pooranmashi, Chet Vadi 1, and Katak Vadi 14/Massia respectively. So Purewal's opinion doesn't matter here as the Panth decided to have these 3 dates used the old Bikrami system alongside the birthdates of the Bhagat Sahibaan (as other communities celebrate them as well). The point is that the 2003 Mool Nanakshahi calendar was made after many deep discussions and considerations of the dates in our historical granths.

Update since 2019: Since Sri Akal Takht Sahib is unable to bring a meeting, somebody on YouTube decided to a Zoom conference call with Pal Singh Purewal, Col. Surjit Singh Nishan, and other folks. In them, Nishan has admitted that 23 Poh (Jan 5) is correct as per the formula of the 2003 version of the Nanakshahi calendar.