Sign in to follow this  
Dsinghdp

Back to Nanakshahi calendar?

This calendar is still the Bikrami Calendar. Why are they still publishing it under the Nanakshahi name? They use Panchang Martand and Panchang Divakar for Gurpurab Dates, not Nanakshahi.

It is sad to see an honest attempt by scholars create the Nanakshahi calendar failed due to political interference by people who lack basic knowledge about astronomy.

EDIT: Article is from last year, but my question still applies.

8 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

The Akal Takhat Jathedar has brought back the Nanakshahi calendar.

All dates will be according to this calendar.

https://www.ptcnews.tv/akal-takht-jathedar-nanakshahi-calendar/

Do you know what purewal calendar came about and how he assigned dates?  Jumping on the bandwagon blind is good as accepting a rock as your Lord.  

1 hour ago, Akalifauj said:

Do you know what purewal calendar came about and how he assigned dates? 

Yes. Purewal never assigned dates. He converted Bikrami Lunar Dates given in Sikh History into Bikrami Solar Dates.

2 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

Yes. Purewal never assigned dates. He converted Bikrami Lunar Dates given in Sikh History into Bikrami Solar Dates.

Is this the right way of converting dates?

Just now, Akalifauj said:

Is this the right way of converting dates?

Yes, because we are doing a conversion in the Bikrami calendar.

For example, Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Parkash is on Poh Sudi 7, 1723 Bikrami. If it is converted to Bikrami Solar, the date is 23 Poh, 1723 BK.

This is why the Nanakshahi calendar created by Purewal has Gurpurab on 23 Poh.

2 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

Yes, because we are doing a conversion in the Bikrami calendar.

For example, Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Parkash is on Poh Sudi 7, 1723 Bikrami. If it is converted to Bikrami Solar, the date is 23 Poh, 1723 BK.

This is why the Nanakshahi calendar created by Purewal has Gurpurab on 23 Poh.

What expertise do you have in making this adjustment?  

8 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

What expertise do you have in making this adjustment?  

I originally supported the Bikrami Calendar, but then I got interested in the calculations behind the calendar.

I read many research papers by Indian scholars online. It's very interesting to note that we know Trigonometry was created in India, but the reason why was to do astronomical calculations!

I am a computer science student, I created a program to convert Bikrami Dates. 

7 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

I originally supported the Bikrami Calendar, but then I got interested in the calculations behind the calendar.

I read many research papers by Indian scholars online. It's very interesting to note that we know Trigonometry was created in India, but the reason why was to do astronomical calculations!

I am a computer science student, I created a program to convert Bikrami Dates. 

So then you would know the faults in the purewal calendar.  Can you tell the sangat here what he did wrong?

23 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

This calendar is still the Bikrami Calendar. Why are they still publishing it under the Nanakshahi name? They use Panchang Martand and Panchang Divakar for Gurpurab Dates, not Nanakshahi.

It is sad to see an honest attempt by scholars create the Nanakshahi calendar failed due to political interference by people who lack basic knowledge about astronomy.

EDIT: Article is from last year, but my question still applies.

1. You do know that that "Nanakshahi" calendar was not created by Guru Nanak Dev ji, right?

2. Secondly, could you please inform us what calendar Guru Nanak the Shah used?

32 minutes ago, Akalifauj said:

So then you would know the faults in the purewal calendar.  Can you tell the sangat here what he did wrong?

To be clear, I support the Nanakshahi Calendar by Purewal.

The only "fault" that I can see is that he mentioned  he could have made the calendar accurate to have an error of 1 day in 99,000 years, but that would cause the dates in Nanakshahi to shift compared to Gregorian because it would be too accurate.

13 minutes ago, BhForce said:

1. You do know that that "Nanakshahi" calendar was not created by Guru Nanak Dev ji, right?

2. Secondly, could you please inform us what calendar Guru Nanak the Shah used?

1. Yes I am aware, Nanakshahi Sammat was first mentioned by Banda Singh Bahadur and then also mentioned by Giani Gian Singh and Bhai Vir Singh. This calendar used Bikrami Calendar calculations.

2. Is that relevant? Guru Sahib used the Bikrami Sammat as in Punjab. As I mentioned, Nanakshahi Sammat was based of Bikrami calculations. Purewal made suggestions to use modern calculations for the calendar. It still keeps the desi months and uses Bikrami Solar dates.

Just now, FreshMind13 said:

1. Yes I am aware, Nanakshahi Sammat was first mentioned by Banda Singh Bahadur and then also mentioned by Giani Gian Singh and Bhai Vir Singh. This calendar used Bikrami Calendar.

2. Is that relevant? Guru Sahib used the Bikrami Sammat as in Punjab. As I mentioned, Nanakshahi Sammat was based of Bikrami. Purewal made suggestions to use modern calculations for the calendar. It still keeps the desi months and uses Bikrami Solar dates.

OK, bro, I admit you are honest.

Yeah, it is relevant because huge numbers of Purewal calendar supporters (it is not a Nanakshahi calendar) claim that the Bikrami calendar is a Brahmanist calendar. 

You might not be in that category (if you are, say so).

The discussion of the calendar favored by Guru Nanak ji vs the calendar favored by Pal Singh Purewal can only proceed when proponents of the latter admit that 1) the entire Sikh panth has been using the former for the last three centuries and 2) that does not make them Brahminists.

21 minutes ago, BhForce said:

Yeah, it is relevant because huge numbers of Purewal calendar supporters (it is not a Nanakshahi calendar) claim that the Bikrami calendar is a Brahmanist calendar. 

Yea, these people do more harm then good for the argument for the Nanakshahi calendar. Nanakshahi is based of Bikrami, but it uses different calculations. Saying Bikrami is a Hindu or Brahman calendar would make Nanakshahi the same because it's based off of Bikrami.

The only thing "Brahman" about Bikrami was that you had to go to a Pandit, but now you can do the calculations yourself by reading British translations of their Sanskrit texts (mainly Surya Sidhantta). So that argument doesn't hold up. People who make those arguments are usually missionary types.

I base my argument on the actual math and science behind the calendar. To my surprise, there is much discussion about the Bikrami Calendar in the Hindu world today. Traditional Hindus want to maintain their traditional calculations as mentioned in the Surya Sidhantta Granth, while modern Indians want to use modern calculations called Drik Gannit.

21 minutes ago, BhForce said:

The discussion of the calendar favored by Guru Nanak ji vs the calendar favored by Pal Singh Purewal can only proceed when proponents of the latter admit that 1) the entire Sikh panth has been using the former for the last three centuries and 2) that does not make them Brahminists.

I don't like saying the calendar Guru Sahib followed or favored by Purewal. The calendar is the same, but the calculations are different. Think of it as replacing the engine of a car.