very Random Historical Photographs

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

Guest GuestSingh
23 hours ago, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

Yes physical activity is the key thing here but the rural Punjab diet has changed alot. A hellava lot. One example is how the superfood Alsi (flaxseed) used be habitually added to most daals and sabjian whereas Punjabis today, whilst sometimes adding it to their pinnia', mostly use it as a feeder to bulk up cows. 

One day, hopefully, someone here will dig up all of my old threads here on this forum and, instead of throwing abuse my way, will actually appreciate the things I have written. On one thread I created, a long time ago, I stated how, on a visit to Kiratpur Sahib, I asked the sevadars there for details about what plants Sri Guru Har Rai planted in his beautiful garden there. My intention was to make a list and then research them when I get back home. One in particular absolutely blew me away, especially when I discovered how it had become a daily staple of the diet of the Sikhs in that period. Absolutely blew me away.

The Moringa

The leaves of this tree, which is actually native to the Punjab, provide so much goodness that it is almost difficult to believe that it could be true: 

An amazing amount of antioxidants to help prevent diabetes and heart disease.

Compounds to to lower blood pressure and cholestorol

9 times more protein than yoghurt

3 times more vitamin A than carrots

12 times more vitamin C than oranges

15 times more potassium than bananas

25 times more iron than spinach

17 times more calcium than milk

Somewhere along the line - at some point in our history - we have chosen to forget the natural secrets of life we knew - changed our diet, and are now suffering the consequences.

ordered some from an organic farm in 'india' last yr which somehow managed to avoid defra detection...anyway its potent stuff, very strong and bitter to taste - about 1/2 - 1tsp. is the rda but u can still taste it in a big bowl of daala/saabjian..its also safe to have more but then it becomes a laxative...

and if my memorys correct those amounts are per 100g not per serving but its still very nutritious like u say..it also has more than 10x the vitamin a of carrots (not 3x) and 4x the chlorophyll of wheatgrass which is unheard of in any other of food...

now if whitey were to jump on it and bang on about this 'superfood' and its benefits for a while like anotha fad then panjabian would suddenly wake up and start ordering in large batches until stocks run out and prices go up...but wen u hear it from ur bibi, nani, dadi etc. then it doesnt mean anything...fools...

remember reading guru ji also grew tulsi? there must be dozens more herbs/spices we aint even heard of yet...those generations had their diet sorted, everything was in it, clean, nutritious and powerful food that aided and increased their mental and physical health and wellbeing...

14 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

ordered some from an organic farm in 'india' last yr which somehow managed to avoid defra detection...anyway its potent stuff, very strong and bitter to taste - about 1/2 - 1tsp. is the rda but u can still taste it in a big bowl of daala/saabjian..its also safe to have more but then it becomes a laxative...

and if my memorys correct those amounts are per 100g not per serving but its still very nutritious like u say..it also has more than 10x the vitamin a of carrots (not 3x) and 4x the chlorophyll of wheatgrass which is unheard of in any other of food...

now if whitey were to jump on it and bang on about this 'superfood' and its benefits for a while like anotha fad then panjabian would suddenly wake up and start ordering in large batches until stocks run out and prices go up...but wen u hear it from ur bibi, nani, dadi etc. then it doesnt mean anything...fools...

remember reading guru ji also grew tulsi? there must be dozens more herbs/spices we aint even heard of yet...those generations had their diet sorted, everything was in it, clean, nutritious and powerful food that aided and increased their mental and physical health and wellbeing...

Haldi  (tumeric) has become very popular in western circles. 

In the west (particularly the US) loves to find these things, monetise it and create some craze/fad out of it.

A lot of the goodness of our traditional diet comes from heuristics  (a lot of practical experience/ trial and error etc). Modern science is catching up it seems.

Guest GuestSingh
8 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Haldi  (tumeric) has become very popular in western circles. 

In the west (particularly the US) loves to find these things, monetise it and create some craze/fad out of it.

A lot of the goodness of our traditional diet comes from heuristics  (a lot of practical experience/ trial and error etc). Modern science is catching up it seems.

in my eyes the west are just copying more than they are 'catching up' - all they have to do is find something that seems or sounds 'interesting' thts been published e.g. online courses in ayurveda then research em for proof/evidence and if it cums bk all gd then its worthy of highlighting to the masses under the name of whitey of course but until then browny or any otha non-white aint to be taken seriously since their tales are just 'unfounded myths'....

as u say, haldi has become popular - these folk add it to anything now to create a new, different and strange product e.g. ghee (made using a1 milk) with haldi, or kala namak or anything else tht appears 'exotic'...

these folk also only eat for taste - u never see awards for 'medicinal value' or something like this since tht would endanger nhs/pharmacies/food companies etc. but u always see awards for 'taste' and 'value' (mixing different foods together which is unknown for added convenience and added...'taste'.

25 minutes ago, GuestSingh said:

in my eyes the west are just copying more than they are 'catching up' - all they have to do is find something that seems or sounds 'interesting' thts been published e.g. online courses in ayurveda then research em for proof/evidence and if it cums bk all gd then its worthy of highlighting to the masses under the name of whitey of course but until then browny or any otha non-white aint to be taken seriously since their tales are just 'unfounded myths'....

as u say, haldi has become popular - these folk add it to anything now to create a new, different and strange product e.g. ghee (made using a1 milk) with haldi, or kala namak or anything else tht appears 'exotic'...

these folk also only eat for taste - u never see awards for 'medicinal value' or something like this since tht would endanger nhs/pharmacies/food companies etc. but u always see awards for 'taste' and 'value' (mixing different foods together which is unknown for added convenience and added...'taste'.

The west is far more nuanced than we like to believe. 

There are definitely parts of the west that absorb eastern knowledge, digest it and then claim it as it's own. 

But there are also parts of the west that do acknowledge where these things come from. We just don't hear about it because these types of westerners are outliers. 

People in the west or at least parts of the west do realise that a lot of problems they have are due to lifestyle factors. 

Having holistic lifestyle approach to nutrition and health are not profitable for certain parties.

Guest Kunta Kinte

The very first picture of the three guys by the river, they don't look like Sikhs or Punjabi for that matter. No kara on the hand and almost clean shaven. I have never seen old photos of Sikhs looking like that. They always spot a full beard.

Secondly Punjabis are hairy. Unless these guys went for a Brazilian wax before they took this photos, I'm calling <banned word filter activated>.

What is the source of these photos? Stop making claims without backing it with a source.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:34 AM, Guest Kunta Kinte said:

The very first picture of the three guys by the river, they don't look like Sikhs or Punjabi for that matter. No kara on the hand and almost clean shaven. I have never seen old photos of Sikhs looking like that. They always spot a full beard.

Secondly Punjabis are hairy. Unless these guys went for a Brazilian wax before they took this photos, I'm calling <banned word filter activated>.

What is the source of these photos? Stop making claims without backing it with a source.

Not all Singh's can grow a full beard. 

Some of these guys were late teens and probably haven't developed a full beard.

Also, it is known that former moneh that become Amritdhari tend to grow longer beards than Singh's who have never cut their beards. 

My great grandfather was born around 1896 and he fought in WW1. He would have been around 18 years old in 1914. 

I suspect these Singh's could possible been in the early 20s. 

Guest Kunta Kinte
4 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Not all Singh's can grow a full beard. 

Some of these guys were late teens and probably haven't developed a full beard.

Also, it is known that former moneh that become Amritdhari tend to grow longer beards than Singh's who have never cut their beards. 

My great grandfather was born around 1896 and he fought in WW1. He would have been around 18 years old in 1914. 

I suspect these Singh's could possible been in the early 20s. 

That's a load of nonsense. Back in the day whether you were amardharis or not, if you were born a Sikh, you never cut your facial hair. It was taboo and could result in a severe beating and ostracizing from the community. They are clearly not teenagers and look like they're are well into their 20s. BTW even teenagers can spot a fuller beard. Those beards looked clearly trimmed. 

They didn't even have karas on their wrist and no body hair. Punjabis are generally hairy. These guys didn't have a single hair on their body. They don't even look Punjabi.

I suspect these are Indians from some other state in India. Please provide me the source for these pictures.

It's unbelievable how you guys  believe anything that is posted on the internet without question.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:26 AM, Guest Kunta Kinte said:

That's a load of nonsense. Back in the day whether you were amardharis or not, if you were born a Sikh, you never cut your facial hair. It was taboo and could result in a severe beating and ostracizing from the community. They are clearly not teenagers and look like they're are well into their 20s. BTW even teenagers can spot a fuller beard. Those beards looked clearly trimmed. 

They didn't even have karas on their wrist and no body hair. Punjabis are generally hairy. These guys didn't have a single hair on their body. They don't even look Punjabi.

I suspect these are Indians from some other state in India. Please provide me the source for these pictures.

It's unbelievable how you guys  believe anything that is posted on the internet without question.

There are people who have never cut or shaved their beard who cannot grow a full beard