Need Advice ?

Guest Jay

I recently got back into Sikhi roughly 5-6 months ago. My mom was really happy and started telling people about it as a parent should. I recently felt a disconnect I don't know what happened but after waking up one day. I didn't feel like keeping my kesh. I never had a gutti, Turban, or kesh at all. I used to be mona for 24 yrs and only recently started to keep my kesh for 5 months. I feel like cutting my kesh in a couple of months because I feel this disconnect of not wanting to keep it long. Maybe its cause I have always been a mona and I'm most comfortable like that.  I still believe in Sikhi and the values taught by our Guru Ji's but I just don't want to keep my kesh. I'm still going to hold off 2-3 months more then decided if im ready to keep and maintain my kesh or not. I have never been a good Sikhi but I always try to do better in the world and try to better my self. Is it really that bad if I don't want to keep my kesh? I already know family & cousins are going to say stuff saying or look he kept his kesh for 6 months then gave up which is a given. Everyone always wants to have a say in everything. At the end of the day, I don't feel ready yet at all to keep my kesh due to stuff like drinking and smoking which is disrespectful if I'm wearing a turban. I still have to work on my self to reach a point where I'm ready. 

Any Advice on how to break this news to my mom and not hurt her feelings. I still really want to read on Sikhi and learn my paath it's not like I want to abandon Sikhi. 

I'm only two years older than you and I started keeping my hair over 3 years ago, but I continued trimming my dhari because I wasn't ready for that. About half a year ago I decided not to trim my dhari anymore because that's the right thing to do and it what our guru told us. I started growing my dhari out and I hated it! I hated how it felt, it was itchy, I hated how I looked (when you first start growing it it looks a bit messy and scruffy, but after it starts growing out then it looks fine)  I hated everything about it and was close to giving up. I then from the bottom of my heart asked guru sahib to give me strength and guidance, I prayed several times for several days, that I'm weak but I want to keep my kesh and that I want to come onto his path, and after that the thought of trimming my dhari just went away! Its one of the best decisions I ever made, I would never go back, I'm VERY confident with the way I look with my dhari, nothing brings me down, it's like iv always looked like this, in fact I'm more confident now than I have ever been before lol    if you feel like your struggling you only need to be honest with guru sahib and ask for guidance from the bottom of your heart. 

It seems like you've all ready decided to cut you kesh, but if a part of you still wants to keep it then just do ardaas before guru ji. 

You feel like a completely different person afterwards. I was a heavy drinker before this almost like an alcoholic, and was really into my appearance. I would spend over a £100 a month just on haircuts, beard, products, clothes etc lol  now I feel like a completely different person  I honestly don't recognise the guy that I once used to be. 

If your struggling than just be honest with guru ji and ask him. 

Also do as much simran as you can, even when going to work or laying in bed etc You need to change your inside as well   not just your outside. Watch katha, learn gurbani, read ithiaas. Without all this your outer sikh appearance starts becoming pointless. 

Rest is wahegurus kirpa 

14 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I'm only two years older than you and I started keeping my hair over 3 years ago, but I continued trimming my dhari because I wasn't ready for that. About half a year ago I decided not to trim my dhari anymore because that's the right thing to do and it what our guru told us. I started growing my dhari out and I hated it! I hated how it felt, it was itchy, I hated how I looked (when you first start growing it it looks a bit messy and scruffy, but after it starts growing out then it looks fine)  I hated everything about it and was close to giving up. I then from the bottom of my heart asked guru sahib to give me strength and guidance, I prayed several times for several days, that I'm weak but I want to keep my kesh and that I want to come onto his path, and after that the thought of trimming my dhari just went away! Its one of the best decisions I ever made, I would never go back, I'm VERY confident with the way I look with my dhari, nothing brings me down, it's like iv always looked like this, in fact I'm more confident now than I have ever been before lol    if you feel like your struggling you only need to be honest with guru sahib and ask for guidance from the bottom of your heart. 

It seems like you've all ready decided to cut you kesh, but if a part of you still wants to keep it then just do ardaas before guru ji. 

You feel like a completely different person afterwards. I was a heavy drinker before this almost like an alcoholic, and was really into my appearance. I would spend over a £100 a month just on haircuts, beard, products, clothes etc lol  now I feel like a completely different person  I honestly don't recognise the guy that I once used to be. 

If your struggling than just be honest with guru ji and ask him. 

Also do as much simran as you can, even when going to work or laying in bed etc You need to change your inside as well   not just your outside. Watch katha, learn gurbani, read ithiaas. Without all this your outer sikh appearance starts becoming pointless. 

Rest is wahegurus kirpa 

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ

That's amazing Bhai Sahib. Great job for asking Maharaj for help.

Greatest Shakti (power) we have is to do an Ardas with Pyaar for Guru and with faith

On 4/13/2019 at 7:32 PM, Guest Jay said:

Any Advice on how to break this news to my mom and not hurt her feelings. I still really want to read on Sikhi and learn my paath it's not like I want to abandon Sikhi. 

Keep your Kesh and do Ardas from the bottom of you heart. Take little steps and Maharaj will take millions of big steps towards you.

Vaaran - Bhai Gurdaas Ji - Bhai Gurdas Ji Vaaran

ਚਰਨ ਸਰਨ ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕ ਪੈਂਡਾ ਜਾਇ ਚਲ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੋਟਿ ਪੈਂਡਾ ਆਗੇ ਹੋਇ ਲੇਤ ਹੈ ॥

A disciple who walks one step towards Guru to take his refuge and goes to him with devotion and humility, Guru advances to receive him (devotee) by taking million steps.

ਏਕ ਬਾਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੰਤ੍ਰ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਮਾਤ੍ਰ ਸਿਮਰਨ ਤਾਂਹਿ ਬਾਰੰਬਾਰ ਗੁਰ ਹੇਤ ਹੈ॥

He who unites with the Lord by remembering the incantation of the Guru even once, the True Guru remembers him millions of time.

ਭਾਵਨੀ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਾਇ ਕੌੁਡੀ ਅਗ੍ਰਭਾਗ ਰਾਖੈ ਤਾਹਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਧਾਨ ਦਾਨ ਦੇਤ ਹੈ॥

He who makes an offering of even a shell before the True Guru with loving worship and faith, the True Guru blesses him with the countless treasures of invaluable wealth that is Naam.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਦਯਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਮਹਿਮਾ ਅਗਾਧਿ ਬੋਧ ਨਮੋ ਨਮੋ ਨਮੋ ਨਮੋ ਨੇਤਿ ਨੇਤਿ ਨੇਤਿ ਹੈ ॥੧੧੧॥

The True Guru is a repository of compassion that is beyond description and understanding. Therefore myriad salutations to Him because there is no one else like Him. (111)

ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਹਿ