Did you get stomach sick going to punjab first time

Guest hello_ji

Guest hello_ji

I have not gone to punjab before ( born abroad), but I have heard you have to be very careful what you eat and drink in punjab since your body is not used to the bacteria in Punjab. I have heard people go, and get sick there , and I don't want to get sick. So I mean what do you ? Like the enviroment is different in each city/ district. What about amritsar area ?

Thanks

14 hours ago, Guest hello_ji said:

I have not gone to punjab before ( born abroad), but I have heard you have to be very careful what you eat and drink in punjab since your body is not used to the bacteria in Punjab.

Don't drink the water.

Drink only from RO (reverse-osmosis) water filters. The non-RO filters aren't that good.

Store-bought water is normally fine, too. Stick with major brands like Bisleri and Kinley (by Coca-Cola).

Where are you staying? Family? Or a hotel? If it's a hotel, make sure it's a good one (probably meaning an expensive one). They'll usually have good water filters. Or bottled water or canisters.

If family, just buy a water filter for them as a gift if they don't have one already. It should be maybe 200 GBP, 300 USD or so.

See here: https://www.kent.co.in/

Also, do not ingest water when brushing. Just have a water bottle where you wet your toothbrush with.

Like the enviroment is different in each city/ district. What about amritsar area ?

No, it is not different in each area. Granted, the water in a specific neighborhood may be worse than another, but you shouldn't rely upon that anyways. Just use a filter.

I have heard people go, and get sick there

That's because they get lazy and start drinking unfiltered water because of peer pressure ("what's the worst that could happen?").

I have not gone to punjab before ( born abroad), but I have heard you have to be very careful what you eat and drink in punjab since your body is not used to the bacteria in Punjab. I have heard people go, and get sick there , and I don't want to get sick. So I mean what do you ? Like the enviroment is different in each city/ district. What about amritsar area ?

Thanks

As well as whats already been said i think it depends on how tough your stomach is, some people can eat and drink anything and they'll be fine, other's will get the run's at the drop of a hat. I was also cautious of dairy, we would get cow's milk as opposed to buffalo and avoid ice cream (no easy thing).

3 minutes ago, kcmidlands said:

I was also cautious of dairy, we would get cow's milk as opposed to buffalo and avoid ice cream (no easy thing).

Right, that, too.

If you're not physically strong and active, you might want to avoid traditional buffalo milk, which can be around 7% fat. Go for cow's milk (what Brahmins drink).

Skim milk can be bought in grocery stores.

1 minute ago, BhForce said:

Right, that, too.

If you're not physically strong and active, you might want to avoid traditional buffalo milk, which can be around 7% fat. Go for cow's milk (what Brahmins drink).

Skim milk can be bought in grocery stores.

I always found it strange that the milk come's in plastic bags, i was okay with Buffalo milk when i was young, as I've gotten older and used to cow's milk in the west i get issues when i have buffalo milk in India know, i think that goes for most food in India, out bodies become accustomed to a western diet and we have trouble digesting food in India.

Just now, kcmidlands said:

I always found it strange that the milk come's in plastic bags, i was okay with Buffalo milk when i was young, as I've gotten older and used to cow's milk in the west i get issues when i have buffalo milk in India know, i think that goes for most food in India, out bodies become accustomed to a western diet and we have trouble digesting food in India.

Well, that's because of a sedentary lifestyle. That's why Brahmins only drink cow milk. They never do any hard labor.

Regarding plastic bags: what should it come in? That's the same thing it comes in Canada.

I get sick every time I go lol     I think iv been India like 8 or 9 times now but I get sick.  There is very little hygiene there when it comes to food, especially street food. Flys are EVERYWHERE  haha! Especially in the pinds   you need to constantly cover your biscuits, sweets and other food  when eating outside because flys will sit on it.   Street food is nasty, flys everywhere, the men making it itching their faces and then touching the food  etc     flys are everywhere in the pinds as well 

That aside lol   you will have an experience of a life time!  You will either love it or hate it but you will remember it for the rest of your life   especially if your family are from the pind lol 

And take the opportunity to visit some historical gurdwareh related to our history 

Guest guest

avoid unpasteurised dairy (that is yoghurt, cold milk direct from buffalo).   i think the store stuff is pastuerised so ok.

people say to avoid street food also.

avoid drinking tap water.  if you must drink it (no bottle water around), boil it first.  

tap water is ok for brushing teeth and bathing, imo.

don't bathe in lakes.  religious sarovars in religious places should be ok though.

i would avoid meat also.  unless its been very thoroughly cooked.

when you eat in restaurants, only order stuff that comes to your table hot.  

though i have not had problems with cold salads or ice cream.

make sure you get your hepatitus imminuisations (A,B,C) before you go.