Guest Anonymous

Charitrapakhyan

Guest Anonymous

So, i was looking at websites such as Islam-Sikhism and they mention Charitrapakhyan alot which is from Dasam Granth.

Please discuss it because i can't see any forums doing so and this absence can cause preachers from other faiths to attack Sikhi.

Some people say that Charitrapakhyan is contradictory to the message in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
17 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

Some people say that Charitrapakhyan is contradictory to the message in Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Virjee, Are you one of them?

23 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

It's a good thing it's not in the Guru Granth Sahib, then, innit? 😁

Guest Taksali Jatt
15 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

It's a good thing it's not in the Guru Granth Sahib, then, innit? 😁

Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji used to be parkashed alongside with Sri Adi Guru Granth Sahib Ji at Sri Akal Takht Sahib. And both are Guru written Granths. Our 11th Guru is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and other granths are there to guide humanity on how to survive this manukhi Janam.

I think they are exposing the  moral corruption of society. They expose the hypocrisy of people. You need to be careful and socially smart and aware of what's going on around you. A lot of the characters are conniving spiteful and have bad intentions. 

The "holy men" are sleeping with the wives of their disciples, while rich old men are marrying women half their age for pleasure.  This is still happening today 

A lot of the female characters have been given no purpose but to look attractive and in result have become shallow and promiscuous, while women who have been involved in dharma from the beginning by their families stand shoulder to shoulder with their fathers and brothers in battle.

One story is about jehangirs daughter who liked a sikh man but the sikh man refused her so he was beheaded by jehangir. When the sikhs head was presented to the daughter on a tray, she reaches out to touch the sikhs face and the head moves back. Moral of the story is that a sikh does not touch a female that he is not married to and that even in death he did not let her touch his face. These days even some amritdharis are sleeping around.

In another story guru gobind singh ji tells us that when he came of age his father, guru tegh bahadur ji, made guru ji take an oath by him that he will love his wife as much as he can but not even in his thoughts think of another man's wife. 

Charitropakhyan then is followed by chaupai sahib which is about destroying our inner enemies the panj chors and asking waheguru to do kirpa on us and protect us from the panj chors. 

I really don't understand why some people don't accept charitropakhyan, they must be close minded people who haven't tried to understand it.

All the characters in charitropakhyan are everywhere around us  everyday ...

Correct me if I said wrong somewhere ...

Edited by puzzled
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Guest Taksali Jatt said:

Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji used to be parkashed alongside with Sri Adi Guru Granth Sahib Ji at Sri Akal Takht Sahib. And both are Guru written Granths. Our 11th Guru is Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and other granths are there to guide humanity on how to survive this manukhi Janam.

Hanji, I agree. But didn't Guru Sahib explain to his Singhs the reason he didn't incorporate his Dasam Granth compositions into Guru Granth Sahib? Their respective status, in my mind (which explains the simultaneous parkash), is equal, yet  they were obviously kept separate. That was my original point. I wasn't suggesting Dasam Granth Sahib was lesser or lacking in any way. Personally, Dasam Granth Sahib has transformed my life. I, too, in my younger years (inwardly and privately) was riddled with doubts as to its authenticity, but I came to attest to its holiness before it was too late. 

18 hours ago, puzzled said:

I really don't understand why some people don't accept charitropakhyan, they must be close minded people who haven't tried to understand it.

All the characters in charitropakhyan are everywhere around us  everyday ...

Correct me if I said wrong somewhere ...

Personally I think Sikhs imbibing conservative Victorian, Anglo prudery during the colonial period plays a big part in why some apnay's mindsets' cause them to refuse to accept the contents of CP because they see the contents as somehow 'ashleel' as a consequence of that influence. 

Guest AjeetSinghPunjabi
7 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Hanji, I agree. But didn't Guru Sahib explain to his Singhs the reason he didn't incorporate his Dasam Granth compositions into Guru Granth Sahib? Their respective status, in my mind (which explains the simultaneous parkash), is equal, yet  they were obviously kept separate. That was my original point. I wasn't suggesting Dasam Granth Sahib was lesser or lacking in any way. Personally, Dasam Granth Sahib has transformed my life. I, too, in my younger years (inwardly and privately) was riddled with doubts as to its authenticity, but I came to attest to its holiness before it was too late. 

how did it change ur life. would like to learn from ur experience

Guest Anonymous

Thnx this answered my questions. And thnx for discussing it since i feel many forums shy away from it which is counter productive.

1 hour ago, AjeetSinghPunjabi said:

how did it change ur life. would like to learn from ur experience

It basically affirmed what I felt innately was the reality and truth, but i'd been conditioned (by Western society, our Punjabi community, etc) to believe was untrue or "un-Sikh" to consider it as authentic because it apparently broached certain subjects that were apparently taboo. There's only so long a person can deny a truth especially when that voice inside kept telling me I shouldn't doubt Dasam Granth Sahib. Also, I was instructed to recite certain banis from it in order to help me recover from long standing health issues, and thankfully it worked. I can only speak for myself when I say what greater testimony can I provide as an endorsement? 

Art work dating back to the sikh misl period depicting prakash of guru granth sahib ji and dasam granth side by side.

Art is a window into the past 

large.57c921b42238f_adianddasamprachaar.jpg.4699af9afb4f96ef7d0f9a579e45316c.jpg

• Like 2

Same here, I wasnt well and had serious anxiety problems, was on medication, dasam bani hugely helped me. I would listen to bir ras dasam bani Kirtan and chandi di vaar and it made me better.  May sound weird but I even remember the moment that I realized that it's helping me. 

I recommend anyone who has anxiety to listen to dasam bani Kirtan and it will make you feel better. It will uplift your spirit. 

Listen to dasam bani katha, kirtan, read the translations 

Whoever the people were that began to defame dasam granth sahib I'm pretty sure they had an agenda. 

On 4/28/2019 at 12:41 PM, puzzled said:

These days even some amritdharis are sleeping around.

Don't say "amritdhari". Say "fake amritdhari".

If you break the rehit, you are patit.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

Terms of Use