Kali on Guru Hargobind sahibs sword

puzzled

14 hours ago, ChardikalaUK said:

There's nothing wrong in my opinion.

I have a statue of Shiva and Buddha but I don't worship them or perform any rituals. I just like the artwork and symbolism. The power of Shiva and tranquility of Buddha.

No different than having a statue of a Greek or Egyptian god.

It is different if you believe in them and do mantras in their honour. Having them on flags and on swords is a good omen  not just decorative art.

I really don't understand the whole obsession over idol worship.  People here take it to an extreme and seem to think it means all symbolism should be removed from Sikhi and the religion should become as austere and shallow as modern-day Islam.

Obviously, mindless idol worship is bad, everyone would agree with this (including Hindus), but its also obvious Hindu symbology had a spiritual influence on the gurus, and if you actually do naam jaap you'll find you can engage with these symbols in a way that is deeper than idol worship.  Any personal practice of sikhi that doesn't even attempt to engage with this symbols, is incomplete and ahistorical in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, SargunNN said:

I really don't understand the whole obsession over idol worship.  People here take it to an extreme and seem to think it means all symbolism should be removed from Sikhi and the religion should become as austere and shallow as modern-day Islam.

Obviously, mindless idol worship is bad, everyone would agree with this (including Hindus), but its also obvious Hindu symbology had a spiritual influence on the gurus, and if you actually do naam jaap you'll find you can engage with these symbols in a way that is deeper than idol worship.  Any personal practice of sikhi that doesn't even attempt to engage with this symbols, is incomplete and ahistorical in my opinion.

If you do naam jap you'll find that Waheguru has no form

4 minutes ago, intrigued said:

If you do naam jap you'll find that Waheguru has no form

Maybe. Personally I feel Waheguru is both formless and formed as the concept of Sargun and Nirgun tries to illustrate. I try to focus on both in meditation.