Jump to content
Guest someone

who is this guy - sikh priest

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The problem is that a lot of western wedding norms are getting mixed up with our traditions.

These "kids" think because that Church weddings have everyone standing when the bride comes in that we do the same, or when there is applause we should do the same.

It is just ignorance. Sometimes it is pure common sense but these kids need it spelt out what is correct and what is not.

If there is one western practice we could adopt is a semblance of the rehearsal like a rehearsal lawan. Then you could go through stuff with the couple and tell them what to expect and the correct protocol is.

The video here shown is either from US or Canada.

Canada in particular is far more extreme than the UK in that either Sikhs are very religious or extremely westernised or what they call "whitewashed ".

Brides maids p1ss me off as well   Don't like them     that's another western tradition.   They do baby showers as well now these days.

Why do brides need brothers to hold them when doing lavaan? They don't do that in India.  The reason they used to hold them in the old days was because in those the bride was veiled and couldn't see where she was going. These days they barley have their heads covered and need 5 people holding them.   Silly stuff  

Yeah I don't get Canada  you either get the proper desi bunch or you either get the really westernized liberal ones, personally I would chose the desi ones any day.  

 

What makes it worst is that you now have "sikh preists" like the one the poster is talking about who carry ceromonies out especially for the kind of people we are talking about.  The sikh priest above is making a business out of these westernized punjabis and conducting the ceromonies the way they want it.  It's like he saw the market for it and started a business 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
9 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Brides maids p1ss me off as well   Don't like them     that's another western tradition.   They do baby showers as well now these days.

Why do brides need brothers to hold them when doing lavaan? They don't do that in India.  The reason they used to hold them in the old days was because in those the bride was veiled and couldn't see where she was going. These days they barley have their heads covered and need 5 people holding them.   Silly stuff  

Yeah I don't get Canada  you either get the proper desi bunch or you either get the really westernized liberal ones, personally I would chose the desi ones any day.  

 

What makes it worst is that you now have "sikh preists" like the one the poster is talking about who carry ceromonies out especially for the kind of people we are talking about.  The sikh priest above is making a business out of these westernized punjabis and conducting the ceromonies the way they want it.  It's like he saw the market for it and started a business 

Baby Showers - this is more of an Americanism.

Sometimes with traditions, there was probably a logical explanation (like you mentioned above with the brothers) but these traditions stick even when they no longer serve their purpose. People forget why they were done in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Baby Showers - this is more of an Americanism.

Sometimes with traditions, there was probably a logical explanation (like you mentioned above with the brothers) but these traditions stick even when they no longer serve their purpose. People forget why they were done in the first place.

Well that's what most traditions are in Punjabi weddings. At one point there used to be a meaning behind it but now they are just traditions. That's why some are really weird. 

Like how they pour oil on either side of the door before the couple walk in. In the old days in the pinds the gates were massive thick wooden gates with metal hinges. The hinges used to rust so when you used to open the gates it used to make a loud squeaky noise which didn't look/sound good especially when you were gnna have guests around so whenever their was an occasion and they were gnna have guests the ladies used to oil the hinges so the gates and doors don't make that noise. 

Some how today it ended up becoming a shagun!  I don't understand how pouring oil on the floor is shagun   it's more of a health hazard than a shagun lol. 

Same with the maiya  yellow stuff that they rub onto you the day before your wedding.  In those days your skin used to get tanned really easily because people were always out about, especially the men   they would be in the fields doing kaithi all day   so their skin used to be really tanned and weathered  so to rub the tan off and make your skin look lighter they used rub haldi turmeric on to your skin.  According to the ayurvedic turmeric is good for the skin and also removes tan.  Now it's just a tradition 

Same with putting soorma kohl in the groom's eyes.  Guys in those days weren't that great looking! From a very young age they were in the fields doing farming and by the time they were 19/20 years old their skin was cracked and weathered and really dark  so to make them look better they actualy used to apply soorma kohl in their eyes lol.  

Today these things are just traditions    

I don't know the meaning behind jaggo though   while carrying pots on their heads they sing jatta jaag ve hon jaggo aiya  LOL   so I'm guessing it's another pind tradition which at one point served a purpose   but now is just carrying a pot on your head and dancing lol

 

But if you take all this away  you are then left with anand karaj   which will always be there    traditions come and go,  many traditions have died out   and many more have been created    .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Well that's what most traditions are in Punjabi weddings. At one point there used to be a meaning behind it but now they are just traditions. That's why some are really weird. 

Like how they pour oil on either side of the door before the couple walk in. In the old days in the pinds the gates were massive thick wooden gates with metal hinges. The hinges used to rust so when you used to open the gates it used to make a loud squeaky noise which didn't look/sound good especially when you were gnna have guests around so whenever their was an occasion and they were gnna have guests the ladies used to oil the hinges so the gates and doors don't make that noise. 

Some how today it ended up becoming a shagun!  I don't understand how pouring oil on the floor is shagun   it's more of a health hazard than a shagun lol. 

Same with the maiya  yellow stuff that they rub onto you the day before your wedding.  In those days your skin used to get tanned really easily because people were always out about, especially the men   they would be in the fields doing kaithi all day   so their skin used to be really tanned and weathered  so to rub the tan off and make your skin look lighter they used rub haldi turmeric on to your skin.  According to the ayurvedic turmeric is good for the skin and also removes tan.  Now it's just a tradition 

Same with putting soorma kohl in the groom's eyes.  Guys in those days weren't that great looking! From a very young age they were in the fields doing farming and by the time they were 19/20 years old their skin was cracked and weathered and really dark  so to make them look better they actualy used to apply soorma kohl in their eyes lol.  

Today these things are just traditions    

I don't know the meaning behind jaggo though   while carrying pots on their heads they sing jatta jaag ve hon jaggo aiya  LOL   so I'm guessing it's another pind tradition which at one point served a purpose   but now is just carrying a pot on your head and dancing lol

 

But if you take all this away  you are then left with anand karaj   which will always be there    traditions come and go,  many traditions have died out   and many more have been created    .

I think that jaggo had to do with the bride's last day of freedom before getting married.

They will make a racket and wake up all the neighbours in the village.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

I think that jaggo had to do with the bride's last day of freedom before getting married.

They will make a racket and wake up all the neighbours in the village.

It's the Sikh equivalent of a hen night: a kukhri-do. 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Singh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

I want to sincerely ask just this that how and why are destination weddings looked down upon?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol that's funny    I think it's origin might be in the chownkidhar   in the old days they used to have a chownkidhar in the pinds that used to go around in the early hours saying jagoooo jagooooo  haha!  It was to prevent thieves and thugs from taking advantage of everyone sleeping. They used to do it in the early hours.  The still do it in pinds but with a whistle and cane, iv heard it lol 

The jatta jaag song and jaggo might have it's origins in that then?  Especially that they do it at night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We aren't any worse or better than other communities when it comes to following fads, but when our people living in Western countries continually ape Western trends or adopt new ones, it's so cringe, lol. It lays bare the fact that despite all the education in the world, apne are so, so easy to manipulate into acting according to the mainstream view regardless of moralistic, ethical, and political bent. The mainstream encompasses a wide spectrum, but bypassing that spectrum is unthinkable for most people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest

I know this guy personally. I really don't care about weddings. I have my own problems to deal with, I want to be better as much as I can. I rarely do Sangat. This person lives in BC Canada. That is about what I can tell about him. If you have a problem do me a favour pray for him. He has gone through a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2019 at 10:52 PM, jkvlondon said:

Coconuts just lurveee this nonsense of showing off on beaches etc.

nothing wrong on having a beach side anand karaj . Its not wrong on by itself !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

nothing wrong on having a beach side anand karaj . Its not wrong on by itself !

so you would drag your King of Kings from the shaan of  his Darbar to be set up on the sand with the flies, pollution , people walking about  and noise for your own ego driven photogenic wedding ? How is that even putting Guru ji in the centre of your life? This is just making a mockery of Anand Karaj, - we beg Guru ji to take us into his Protection as we are nothing and yet doing this is NOT a show of hypocrisy ?

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest London jwaan
On 5/12/2019 at 10:22 AM, jkvlondon said:

This guy left his sikh desi wife to have a marriage and business with his gori mem ... 

No he didn't. This forum is turning into the Sunday sport. Please provide links if you know better.

Wjkk wjkf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest London jwaan
On 5/11/2019 at 8:29 AM, Guest jigsaw-puzzled-singh said:

It's the guy that Canadian politician Jagmeet Singh hired to conduct his celebrity  beach wedding in Mexico.  

No its not. He did not conduct the ceremony. That entirely fictional "fact" has come straight out of your jagsaw. Its known that you have a problem with jagmeet Singh, as you have a problem with his success, whilst you are left in the slums of West london waving your kirpan around for no reason, trying to become recognised as a pious sikh whilst spreading dysentery hiding behind your pc.....

And to answer your question, I will tell you what is worse, a hate preacher like you, disguised as a sikh with a dastar, who talks deliberate lies and bukwaas, yet claims to be the authority on sikhism.

Waheguru JI ka Khalsa, Waheguru JI ki fateh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 3:16 AM, Guest Guest said:

He has gone through a lot. 

so have we but u dnt c us feeling the need to make a complete joke outta guruji and their gift of anand karaj for greed and status do u?

and didnt he leave his wife for a chitti? does he have children? did he leave them behind too? 

frauds like this deserve no sympathy..hes a joker and deserves wat comes his way - as do the otha empty, shallow and shameless clowns (panjabi, whitey, blacky etc) who join him without bothering to educate themselves wiv a few minutes research....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

so you would drag your King of Kings from the shaan of  his Darbar to be set up on the sand with the flies, pollution , people walking about  and noise for your own ego driven photogenic wedding ? How is that even putting Guru ji in the centre of your life? This is just making a mockery of Anand Karaj, - we beg Guru ji to take us into his Protection as we are nothing and yet doing this is NOT a show of hypocrisy ?

jithe jaaye bahe mera satguru so thaan suhaawa raam raaje 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Just saw the video yesterday on WhatsApp. Was shocked but not surprised considering it's Delhi. I don't live there fortunately. Because it's a region of backward illiterate migrants from haryana, Bihar, UP , basically the wildest of states . BTW, Sikh MLAs of Delhi did create a loud opposition and apparently the 3 men responsible were suspended and further inquiry into the matter set in.  In a hindsight, I felt what if the Sikh guy was at fault ?? What if we're trying to give into our passions and looking it at from biased communal views. But you also can't deny the fact that the treatment meted out to him was in no way professional and btw, the father and kid were both beaten up in police custody too, the kid being a minor. YES THE COPS SHOULD BE FIRED.  Many , not surprisingly, within the Sikh community are seeing this incident as part of larger state sponsored oppression against sikhs.
    • https://m.tribuneindia.com/article/delhi-police-brutally-beat-up-father-and-son-on-the-street/789174/amp
    • i dont think baba ji could ever lie, but I can't come to accept that sant ji left darbar sahib while it was being desecrated.Khalsa doesn't run from the battlefield.I think they are shaheed.How else could you explain this picture:
      Here's a scenario I thought where they are shaheed but still "come back". They might pargat as a jot like how people have darshan of shaheed singhs and "come back" like that. Sant ji isn't gone anywhere from where they need to come back,like all shaheeds and other Sikhs in sachkhand.I also thought that perhaps they would take birth for the sake of the panth again as if they haven't done enough already.   Regardless of what we think individually, it isn't going to change anything for ourselves or for the panth.We just need to focus on ourselves and what will happen will happen.
    • we need a digital database with full pictures of the original saroops alongside a typed version of each aang.That might be a solution to remove suspicion of editing,and modification.It should be available to all online on a database and form a library. 

      It would be a huge benefit to the panth if the sgpc would work for the panth.We can make our panth a force to be reckoned with an international scale,and make Sikhi flourish.Most people don't know about Sikhi and denounce religion for reasons like not matching with science but Sikhi does,and people don't know.I think it needs to be restructured in a more dictatorship like structure where you have one appointed jathedar who has full control and no elections or democracy to elect people.The jathedar should be a brahamgyani,someone the panth will stand behind. Of course, the challenge is finding such a leader,maybe maharaj will/has sent someone.  
    • Just saw the video of the Delhi coppers beating up the Father and son. Though I absolutely condemn what the police did as it was despicable.  The father did not help matters by running back at about 5 coppers especially with his son being in tow where his young teenage son got a kicking. (His son was trying to stop his father). I will try to link the video, but I think we try to act like the warriors of old but even they would know when to fight back and when to retreat.  I see this in a few videos where Urban Sikhs in metro areas do bone headed things like this particularly with the police. There was another video where this very tall Singh choke slammed a copper before he scarpered off on his moped. It's always this: "Meh Singh ya, meh Singh yeh" with this puffy chest. Even a rural pendu Sikh in Punjab is not that dumb to do things like this.  You can't win as a Sikh in a Hindu majority area where the police is going to be against you.  If the guy was beaten up by himself is one thing bit the fact that his son got beaten as well is downright irresponsible.  We have to be smarter than that. @AjeetSingh2019 you are an Urban Metro Sikh, please explain    
×

Important Information

Terms of Use