who is this guy - sikh priest

Guest someone

12 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

The problem is that a lot of western wedding norms are getting mixed up with our traditions.

These "kids" think because that Church weddings have everyone standing when the bride comes in that we do the same, or when there is applause we should do the same.

It is just ignorance. Sometimes it is pure common sense but these kids need it spelt out what is correct and what is not.

If there is one western practice we could adopt is a semblance of the rehearsal like a rehearsal lawan. Then you could go through stuff with the couple and tell them what to expect and the correct protocol is.

The video here shown is either from US or Canada.

Canada in particular is far more extreme than the UK in that either Sikhs are very religious or extremely westernised or what they call "whitewashed ".

Brides maids p1ss me off as well   Don't like them     that's another western tradition.   They do baby showers as well now these days.

Why do brides need brothers to hold them when doing lavaan? They don't do that in India.  The reason they used to hold them in the old days was because in those the bride was veiled and couldn't see where she was going. These days they barley have their heads covered and need 5 people holding them.   Silly stuff  

Yeah I don't get Canada  you either get the proper desi bunch or you either get the really westernized liberal ones, personally I would chose the desi ones any day.  

What makes it worst is that you now have "sikh preists" like the one the poster is talking about who carry ceromonies out especially for the kind of people we are talking about.  The sikh priest above is making a business out of these westernized punjabis and conducting the ceromonies the way they want it.  It's like he saw the market for it and started a business 

9 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Brides maids p1ss me off as well   Don't like them     that's another western tradition.   They do baby showers as well now these days.

Why do brides need brothers to hold them when doing lavaan? They don't do that in India.  The reason they used to hold them in the old days was because in those the bride was veiled and couldn't see where she was going. These days they barley have their heads covered and need 5 people holding them.   Silly stuff  

Yeah I don't get Canada  you either get the proper desi bunch or you either get the really westernized liberal ones, personally I would chose the desi ones any day.  

What makes it worst is that you now have "sikh preists" like the one the poster is talking about who carry ceromonies out especially for the kind of people we are talking about.  The sikh priest above is making a business out of these westernized punjabis and conducting the ceromonies the way they want it.  It's like he saw the market for it and started a business 

Baby Showers - this is more of an Americanism.

Sometimes with traditions, there was probably a logical explanation (like you mentioned above with the brothers) but these traditions stick even when they no longer serve their purpose. People forget why they were done in the first place.

40 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Baby Showers - this is more of an Americanism.

Sometimes with traditions, there was probably a logical explanation (like you mentioned above with the brothers) but these traditions stick even when they no longer serve their purpose. People forget why they were done in the first place.

Well that's what most traditions are in Punjabi weddings. At one point there used to be a meaning behind it but now they are just traditions. That's why some are really weird. 

Like how they pour oil on either side of the door before the couple walk in. In the old days in the pinds the gates were massive thick wooden gates with metal hinges. The hinges used to rust so when you used to open the gates it used to make a loud squeaky noise which didn't look/sound good especially when you were gnna have guests around so whenever their was an occasion and they were gnna have guests the ladies used to oil the hinges so the gates and doors don't make that noise. 

Some how today it ended up becoming a shagun!  I don't understand how pouring oil on the floor is shagun   it's more of a health hazard than a shagun lol. 

Same with the maiya  yellow stuff that they rub onto you the day before your wedding.  In those days your skin used to get tanned really easily because people were always out about, especially the men   they would be in the fields doing kaithi all day   so their skin used to be really tanned and weathered  so to rub the tan off and make your skin look lighter they used rub haldi turmeric on to your skin.  According to the ayurvedic turmeric is good for the skin and also removes tan.  Now it's just a tradition 

Same with putting soorma kohl in the groom's eyes.  Guys in those days weren't that great looking! From a very young age they were in the fields doing farming and by the time they were 19/20 years old their skin was cracked and weathered and really dark  so to make them look better they actualy used to apply soorma kohl in their eyes lol.  

Today these things are just traditions    

I don't know the meaning behind jaggo though   while carrying pots on their heads they sing jatta jaag ve hon jaggo aiya  LOL   so I'm guessing it's another pind tradition which at one point served a purpose   but now is just carrying a pot on your head and dancing lol

But if you take all this away  you are then left with anand karaj   which will always be there    traditions come and go,  many traditions have died out   and many more have been created    .

11 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Well that's what most traditions are in Punjabi weddings. At one point there used to be a meaning behind it but now they are just traditions. That's why some are really weird. 

Like how they pour oil on either side of the door before the couple walk in. In the old days in the pinds the gates were massive thick wooden gates with metal hinges. The hinges used to rust so when you used to open the gates it used to make a loud squeaky noise which didn't look/sound good especially when you were gnna have guests around so whenever their was an occasion and they were gnna have guests the ladies used to oil the hinges so the gates and doors don't make that noise. 

Some how today it ended up becoming a shagun!  I don't understand how pouring oil on the floor is shagun   it's more of a health hazard than a shagun lol. 

Same with the maiya  yellow stuff that they rub onto you the day before your wedding.  In those days your skin used to get tanned really easily because people were always out about, especially the men   they would be in the fields doing kaithi all day   so their skin used to be really tanned and weathered  so to rub the tan off and make your skin look lighter they used rub haldi turmeric on to your skin.  According to the ayurvedic turmeric is good for the skin and also removes tan.  Now it's just a tradition 

Same with putting soorma kohl in the groom's eyes.  Guys in those days weren't that great looking! From a very young age they were in the fields doing farming and by the time they were 19/20 years old their skin was cracked and weathered and really dark  so to make them look better they actualy used to apply soorma kohl in their eyes lol.  

Today these things are just traditions    

I don't know the meaning behind jaggo though   while carrying pots on their heads they sing jatta jaag ve hon jaggo aiya  LOL   so I'm guessing it's another pind tradition which at one point served a purpose   but now is just carrying a pot on your head and dancing lol

But if you take all this away  you are then left with anand karaj   which will always be there    traditions come and go,  many traditions have died out   and many more have been created    .

I think that jaggo had to do with the bride's last day of freedom before getting married.

They will make a racket and wake up all the neighbours in the village.

Guest Singh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, waheguru ji ki fateh!

I want to sincerely ask just this that how and why are destination weddings looked down upon?

Thanks!

Lol that's funny    I think it's origin might be in the chownkidhar   in the old days they used to have a chownkidhar in the pinds that used to go around in the early hours saying jagoooo jagooooo  haha!  It was to prevent thieves and thugs from taking advantage of everyone sleeping. They used to do it in the early hours.  The still do it in pinds but with a whistle and cane, iv heard it lol 

The jatta jaag song and jaggo might have it's origins in that then?  Especially that they do it at night. 

We aren't any worse or better than other communities when it comes to following fads, but when our people living in Western countries continually ape Western trends or adopt new ones, it's so cringe, lol. It lays bare the fact that despite all the education in the world, apne are so, so easy to manipulate into acting according to the mainstream view regardless of moralistic, ethical, and political bent. The mainstream encompasses a wide spectrum, but bypassing that spectrum is unthinkable for most people.

Guest Guest

I know this guy personally. I really don't care about weddings. I have my own problems to deal with, I want to be better as much as I can. I rarely do Sangat. This person lives in BC Canada. That is about what I can tell about him. If you have a problem do me a favour pray for him. He has gone through a lot. 

On 5/12/2019 at 10:52 PM, jkvlondon said:

Coconuts just lurveee this nonsense of showing off on beaches etc.

nothing wrong on having a beach side anand karaj . Its not wrong on by itself !