Is Chaadra an 'un-sikh' garment ?

The typical punjabi male image of a sturdy male in kurta chadra holding a gandasa in his hand , and twisting his mustaches comes to mind when we hear that word.

But apart from an ugly looking attire and a sexual one (its all open down there LOL) , it just like its lungi cousin is quite vulgar .

I don't think it even conforms to sikhi ideals. I was originally worn by mughals. Surprising, sikhs adopted it 

Kachhera doesn't even go up the thighs . So it was always meant to avoid unwanted flash LOL. 

That image you just described is can be seen up and down the country. In fact no one dresses like that in punjab anymore. Nothing "sexual" about chadar and kurta only a g@y would think like that.   Chadar and gandasa is 100 times better than the skinny jeans and bright coloured fitted t shirts you see men wearing in Punjab these days with hair sprayed gold. 

Chadar/lungi is what men wore/where in India.  While at hazur sahib I saw countless men wearing that in those areas. It's a indian thing  not just Punjabi. My mothers nanke are from rural haryana and when she went there she told me she saw men walking around wearing chadars and holding axes in their hands, her relatives even had rifles in their house. 

I have old family photos from the 60s and 70s and most the men are wearing chadars and paghs with the larh thrown over the shoulder. 

0714e4dfd8ad608903586ee113b78b0b.jpg

1_aIpRcqoq5mHC-3BzyLu4TA.jpeg

17TH_HARYANA.jpeg

OB-SC336_ifarmi_G_20120307034303.jpg

Potatoes_16a5e28fcd6_large.jpg

Old_man_smoking_hookah,_near_Jaipur,_Rajasthan,_India.jpg

original garb of inidian subcontinent was unsewn rectangles of cloth , think dhothi, lungi, saree, turban etc....

double dhoti is traditional garb of brahmins however totally impractical in battlefield so lead to sewn kacchera  being developed

we have a Bana made of kachhera, dastar/dumalla , dupatta ,kumarkasa, hazoorian and chola .... nothing more needed beyond shastar of karda, kirpan, kanga (of course bibian wear pyjamian and suits also .) even winter clothes were traditionally lohi and shawl

some sikhs wear chadar over their kachhere for modesty and to keep kacchera clean (there's a saying that equate whiteness of kacch as reflective of person's mind's cleaniliness) similarly labourers wear a dorag cover on their dastars.

frankly chaddar over chaddis is a really replusive idea  it's only a sidestep from a dhoti .

49 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

The typical punjabi male image of a sturdy male in kurta chadra holding a gandasa in his hand , and twisting his mustaches comes to mind when we hear that word.

But apart from an ugly looking attire and a sexual one (its all open down there LOL) , it just like its lungi cousin is quite vulgar .

I don't think it even conforms to sikhi ideals. I was originally worn by mughals. Surprising, sikhs adopted it 

Kachhera doesn't even go up the thighs . So it was always meant to avoid unwanted flash LOL. 

mughals wore stitched britches , trousers, salwars .

6 minutes ago, puzzled said:

Iv actually never seen anyone where chadar in Punjab other than some very old men.  Pics from 1946

40b3896421272018_landing.jpeg

459959e80e893f94_landing.jpeg

6bc75e2efed3348e_landing.jpeg

838859305956c8ee_landing.jpeg

f09351750e7b898c_landing.jpeg

my nana ji used to at night, same my mamey ji   , and they also used to wear those checked parne when chilling ...but daytime kurta pyjama or shirt pants both amritdhari. makes sense in fields if you cannot hoist and hitch your pyjami up it would get really messed up .

11 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

my nana ji used to at night, same my mamey ji   , and they also used to wear those checked parne when chilling ...but daytime kurta pyjama or shirt pants both amritdhari. makes sense in fields if you cannot hoist and hitch your pyjami up it would get really messed up .

I have photos of my massis wedding from the early 70s and most the men were wearing chadars at the wedding too, obviously in those days there was no reception party but just anand karaj. Some of them are wearing those checked coats/blazers on top of their kurta. 

My nana was only 37 at my massis wedding! Massi was only 17. 

My nani is wearing pyjami at the wedding, that probably was the fashion back then?  But she's got her face covered with chunni LOL 

My nana gifted a horse in the dowry/daaj  

Completley different world! 

21 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

u said he was amritdhari . so he  must have work kachhera. why couldn't he have just slept in his kachhera . why wear additional clothing lol 

5 hours ago, puzzled said:

Nothing "sexual" about chadar and kurta only a g@y would think like that. 

I'm not remotely g@y,  but I still think chadhar can look hardcore g@y. It's a big skirt for Gawd's sake!

The kachera wasn't given out for no small reason. I'm sure one of the reasons was to give an alternative to blokes in skirts.