How to stop drinking

Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda

Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda

I have been drinking quite heavily for tje past 3 years. Believe it or not I hardly touched the stuff throughout my younger years and teens. 

but now im 30 last three years I started to drink alot more. up untill three years ago. I had no interest in drinking so i never did the while clubbing, partying ect. 

I usually drink at home. I know this stuff is not good for the body, mind and soul and causes all kinds of health issues. But now I want yo quit for good and stop doing it. 

But in the Punjabi culture it is encouraged and if you say you dont drink. You are laughed at. 

4 hours ago, Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda said:

I have been drinking quite heavily for tje past 3 years. Believe it or not I hardly touched the stuff throughout my younger years and teens. 

but now im 30 last three years I started to drink alot more. up untill three years ago. I had no interest in drinking so i never did the while clubbing, partying ect. 

I usually drink at home. I know this stuff is not good for the body, mind and soul and causes all kinds of health issues. But now I want yo quit for good and stop doing it. 

But in the Punjabi culture it is encouraged and if you say you dont drink. You are laughed at. 

do you have a wife /good family life ? what is your after work life like ? you need to replace the bad by filling your time with the good , try looking at sports/gym/ sewa/simran , build up good relations with people who do not rely on lubricating their social lives with sharab

Guest Sharabi Punjabi
4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

do you have a wife /good family life ? what is your after work life like ? you need to replace the bad by filling your time with the good , try looking at sports/gym/ sewa/simran , build up good relations with people who do not rely on lubricating their social lives with sharab

No I dont have a wife yet so to speak but recently got engaged so will have a wife in a few months time after marriage. I work alot from home as my job is flexible with where I work. Yes am trying to be more active and busy during the evenings when I feel like pouring myself a glass of my favorite poison, which is usually the hard stuff, whisky. 

I tend to drink 12 units a day which is the equivalent of 5 or 6 drinks. its excessive and affecting me in a lot of ways. I feel tired and hungover all the time from the hangovers. I feel low on energy and lethargic due to the heavy drinking. . 

But there there is the social pressure of how people will look at me. They will say what kind of Punjabi are you if you dont drink. So I have my reputation to consider. I am known as a big drinker. If I say I dont drink people will think I am sissy. 

As a glassi is what makes a man a man right?

Also I really dont know how I got into drinking. I never drank hardly ever. But now its just become a habbit. Sometimes I get aggressive when I drink and fight.  My whole life has just spiraled out of control due to the nasha

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
20 hours ago, Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda said:

The best way to stop drinking is to just stop drinking. It really is as simple as that. It's only as hard as your mind wants it to be. 

You're not a chronic alcoholic...so it's not like you're in danger of siezures etc if you stop. It's like when I get to a red traffic stop. I don't really want to stop. I'd rather I didn't have to stop. But I do stop. It's not hard. You're not having a battle with the bottle. You're having a battle with your mind. 

Guest GuestSingh

forget modern panjabi culture - a lot of it counts for nothin in the end but if u think otherwise then ur gna waste this life...

why dont u try readin up on folk in the community who struggled wiv this but overcome it n changed their lives for the better? theres plenty of em so ur likely to help urself before it spirals outta control sooner rather than ltr before its too late

What’s triggered this change? 

I’ve never drunk alcohol but I’ve seen others in the wider family start drinking more heavily after a turning point - ill health, depression, redundancy or work issues, marital issues, financial problems etc. There’s always something that causes the change. 

If you address the underlying cause, the drinking will stop. 

On 6/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, Guest Sharabi Punjabi said:

No I dont have a wife yet so to speak but recently got engaged so will have a wife in a few months time after marriage. I work alot from home as my job is flexible with where I work. Yes am trying to be more active and busy during the evenings when I feel like pouring myself a glass of my favorite poison, which is usually the hard stuff, whisky. 

I tend to drink 12 units a day which is the equivalent of 5 or 6 drinks. its excessive and affecting me in a lot of ways. I feel tired and hungover all the time from the hangovers. I feel low on energy and lethargic due to the heavy drinking. . 

But there there is the social pressure of how people will look at me. They will say what kind of Punjabi are you if you dont drink. So I have my reputation to consider. I am known as a big drinker. If I say I dont drink people will think I am sissy. 

As a glassi is what makes a man a man right?

Also I really dont know how I got into drinking. I never drank hardly ever. But now its just become a habbit. Sometimes I get aggressive when I drink and fight.  My whole life has just spiraled out of control due to the nasha

You are basically wrecking your health to satisfy the opinions of idiots? C'mon that's crazy

You're putting away 72 units a week ? That's not sane.

What is Punjabi ? Fake lines drawn on a map , fake retelling of our history to suit our enemies agenda...alcoholism destroys Respect of society, endangers safety, destroys fertility, damages fetuses, ruins family life, ruin financial stability, undermines future success. Consider the advice Guru ji gave us , to maximise our  positivity and effective use of this wonderful life .

What makes a man a man , is his character and his actions not how many pegs he downs. Was Sant Bhindrawale ji unmanly, or Amrik Singh ji or even any of the people who never touched a drop but when it counted they stood up ? What about Bhai Manmohan Singh ji of SAS who is protecting and rescuing kids who are used by people who believe our men are all useless amliaan and incapable of looking after their own? 

A person who runs away from reality to the bottom of a bottle or a gram bag has not grown up yet , not developed the courage to live in the moment, not yet lived fearlessly and truly (taking good and bad with equal openness ,confidence and undertstanding that it is not a permanent state) . The need for substances disappears when we develop true chardikala, addiction is the taendikala which opens up our lives to attack and troubles.

From what you say it seems you need to change who you hang with, find people who have chardikala  they will never push you to bad habits but make you think about how you approach life and support you to try better habits.

Get some new friends. The guys laying the expectation on you to drink, because it's apparently what a real man does, don't gaf about you. They want to see you mess up your life. I'm going to say it: most Sikhs of any denomination are scummy people. They delight in seeing a good guy circling the gutter. You seem to have a semblance of a conscience hence the introspection. Scum don't self reflect, and remarkably they don't seem to be any worse off for it. It's just one of those crazy symptoms of this diseased world. You're on the edge of a precarious situation. You could either fall into the abyss and become a full-blown sharabi, or you could pull back now and no long-term harm done. The choice is firmly in your hands. The only thing holding you back is the psychological block that's been implanted in your mind about culture and the masculine image. Overcome that and you're golden. But allow it to overpower your faculties and you're done.

Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh

I tend to drink 12 units a day

Yeah that's exactly 4 cans of Stella a day. Every day. That's insane man. Your problem is that you're a functioning alcoholic. You're able to drink this large amount and yet still keep your job down. That's the really dangerous aspect for you.  If nothing else, seeing how you're due to be married soon, the fact that 4 cans of stella every day will most definately mean you will NOT be able to get it up should be all the reason you need to snap out of this madness and wise up. 

p.s. I know sometimes we look at the example of our father's and grandfather's generation and see how they used to drink 6 or 7 pints down the boozer each evening but it's important to have a good grasp of history (and I'm sorry I can't help myself I just love talking about history) and understand that the UK 'Punjabi' generation of the 60s and 70s used to drink in pubs at a time when the average strength of beer in the pubs was about 2.1%. Your 1 pint today is the equivalent of their nearly 3 pints. Understand and appreciate history and you'll begin to understand that you have a serious problem dude. Snap out of it.

22 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Get some new friends. The guys laying the expectation on you to drink, because it's apparently what a real man does, don't gaf about you. They want to see you mess up your life. I'm going to say it: most Sikhs of any denomination are scummy people. They delight in seeing a good guy circling the gutter. You seem to have a semblance of a conscience hence the introspection. Scum don't self reflect, and remarkably they don't seem to be any worse off for it. It's just one of those crazy symptoms of this diseased world. You're on the edge of a precarious situation. You could either fall into the abyss and become a full-blown sharabi, or you could pull back now and no long-term harm done. The choice is firmly in your hands. The only thing holding you back is the psychological block that's been implanted in your mind about culture and the masculine image. Overcome that and you're golden. But allow it to overpower your faculties and you're done.

Somebody truly sikh wouldn't want to see their brothers or sisters fall down the rabbit hole of addiction ...only scumbags misusing the title to cover their failings