Jump to content

How to stop drinking


Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda

Recommended Posts

Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda

I have been drinking quite heavily for tje past 3 years. Believe it or not I hardly touched the stuff throughout my younger years and teens. 

but now im 30 last three years I started to drink alot more. up untill three years ago. I had no interest in drinking so i never did the while clubbing, partying ect. 

I usually drink at home. I know this stuff is not good for the body, mind and soul and causes all kinds of health issues. But now I want yo quit for good and stop doing it. 

But in the Punjabi culture it is encouraged and if you say you dont drink. You are laughed at. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda said:

I have been drinking quite heavily for tje past 3 years. Believe it or not I hardly touched the stuff throughout my younger years and teens. 

but now im 30 last three years I started to drink alot more. up untill three years ago. I had no interest in drinking so i never did the while clubbing, partying ect. 

I usually drink at home. I know this stuff is not good for the body, mind and soul and causes all kinds of health issues. But now I want yo quit for good and stop doing it. 

But in the Punjabi culture it is encouraged and if you say you dont drink. You are laughed at. 

 

do you have a wife /good family life ? what is your after work life like ? you need to replace the bad by filling your time with the good , try looking at sports/gym/ sewa/simran , build up good relations with people who do not rely on lubricating their social lives with sharab

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Sharabi Punjabi
4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

do you have a wife /good family life ? what is your after work life like ? you need to replace the bad by filling your time with the good , try looking at sports/gym/ sewa/simran , build up good relations with people who do not rely on lubricating their social lives with sharab

 

No I dont have a wife yet so to speak but recently got engaged so will have a wife in a few months time after marriage. I work alot from home as my job is flexible with where I work. Yes am trying to be more active and busy during the evenings when I feel like pouring myself a glass of my favorite poison, which is usually the hard stuff, whisky. 

I tend to drink 12 units a day which is the equivalent of 5 or 6 drinks. its excessive and affecting me in a lot of ways. I feel tired and hungover all the time from the hangovers. I feel low on energy and lethargic due to the heavy drinking. . 

But there there is the social pressure of how people will look at me. They will say what kind of Punjabi are you if you dont drink. So I have my reputation to consider. I am known as a big drinker. If I say I dont drink people will think I am sissy. 

As a glassi is what makes a man a man right?

Also I really dont know how I got into drinking. I never drank hardly ever. But now its just become a habbit. Sometimes I get aggressive when I drink and fight.  My whole life has just spiraled out of control due to the nasha

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
20 hours ago, Guest Drunk Punjabi Munda said:

I usually drink at home. I know this stuff is not good for the body, mind and soul and causes all kinds of health issues. But now I want yo quit for good and stop doing it. 

But in the Punjabi culture it is encouraged and if you say you dont drink. You are laughed at. 

The best way to stop drinking is to just stop drinking. It really is as simple as that. It's only as hard as your mind wants it to be. 

You're not a chronic alcoholic...so it's not like you're in danger of siezures etc if you stop. It's like when I get to a red traffic stop. I don't really want to stop. I'd rather I didn't have to stop. But I do stop. It's not hard. You're not having a battle with the bottle. You're having a battle with your mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest GuestSingh

forget modern panjabi culture - a lot of it counts for nothin in the end but if u think otherwise then ur gna waste this life...

why dont u try readin up on folk in the community who struggled wiv this but overcome it n changed their lives for the better? theres plenty of em so ur likely to help urself before it spirals outta control sooner rather than ltr before its too late

Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s triggered this change? 

I’ve never drunk alcohol but I’ve seen others in the wider family start drinking more heavily after a turning point - ill health, depression, redundancy or work issues, marital issues, financial problems etc. There’s always something that causes the change. 

If you address the underlying cause, the drinking will stop. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, Guest Sharabi Punjabi said:

No I dont have a wife yet so to speak but recently got engaged so will have a wife in a few months time after marriage. I work alot from home as my job is flexible with where I work. Yes am trying to be more active and busy during the evenings when I feel like pouring myself a glass of my favorite poison, which is usually the hard stuff, whisky. 

I tend to drink 12 units a day which is the equivalent of 5 or 6 drinks. its excessive and affecting me in a lot of ways. I feel tired and hungover all the time from the hangovers. I feel low on energy and lethargic due to the heavy drinking. . 

But there there is the social pressure of how people will look at me. They will say what kind of Punjabi are you if you dont drink. So I have my reputation to consider. I am known as a big drinker. If I say I dont drink people will think I am sissy. 

As a glassi is what makes a man a man right?

Also I really dont know how I got into drinking. I never drank hardly ever. But now its just become a habbit. Sometimes I get aggressive when I drink and fight.  My whole life has just spiraled out of control due to the nasha

You are basically wrecking your health to satisfy the opinions of idiots? C'mon that's crazy

You're putting away 72 units a week ? That's not sane.

What is Punjabi ? Fake lines drawn on a map , fake retelling of our history to suit our enemies agenda...alcoholism destroys Respect of society, endangers safety, destroys fertility, damages fetuses, ruins family life, ruin financial stability, undermines future success. Consider the advice Guru ji gave us , to maximise our  positivity and effective use of this wonderful life .

What makes a man a man , is his character and his actions not how many pegs he downs. Was Sant Bhindrawale ji unmanly, or Amrik Singh ji or even any of the people who never touched a drop but when it counted they stood up ? What about Bhai Manmohan Singh ji of SAS who is protecting and rescuing kids who are used by people who believe our men are all useless amliaan and incapable of looking after their own? 

A person who runs away from reality to the bottom of a bottle or a gram bag has not grown up yet , not developed the courage to live in the moment, not yet lived fearlessly and truly (taking good and bad with equal openness ,confidence and undertstanding that it is not a permanent state) . The need for substances disappears when we develop true chardikala, addiction is the taendikala which opens up our lives to attack and troubles.

From what you say it seems you need to change who you hang with, find people who have chardikala  they will never push you to bad habits but make you think about how you approach life and support you to try better habits.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Get some new friends. The guys laying the expectation on you to drink, because it's apparently what a real man does, don't gaf about you. They want to see you mess up your life. I'm going to say it: most Sikhs of any denomination are scummy people. They delight in seeing a good guy circling the gutter. You seem to have a semblance of a conscience hence the introspection. Scum don't self reflect, and remarkably they don't seem to be any worse off for it. It's just one of those crazy symptoms of this diseased world. You're on the edge of a precarious situation. You could either fall into the abyss and become a full-blown sharabi, or you could pull back now and no long-term harm done. The choice is firmly in your hands. The only thing holding you back is the psychological block that's been implanted in your mind about culture and the masculine image. Overcome that and you're golden. But allow it to overpower your faculties and you're done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh
Quote

I tend to drink 12 units a day

Yeah that's exactly 4 cans of Stella a day. Every day. That's insane man. Your problem is that you're a functioning alcoholic. You're able to drink this large amount and yet still keep your job down. That's the really dangerous aspect for you.  If nothing else, seeing how you're due to be married soon, the fact that 4 cans of stella every day will most definately mean you will NOT be able to get it up should be all the reason you need to snap out of this madness and wise up. 

 

p.s. I know sometimes we look at the example of our father's and grandfather's generation and see how they used to drink 6 or 7 pints down the boozer each evening but it's important to have a good grasp of history (and I'm sorry I can't help myself I just love talking about history) and understand that the UK 'Punjabi' generation of the 60s and 70s used to drink in pubs at a time when the average strength of beer in the pubs was about 2.1%. Your 1 pint today is the equivalent of their nearly 3 pints. Understand and appreciate history and you'll begin to understand that you have a serious problem dude. Snap out of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Get some new friends. The guys laying the expectation on you to drink, because it's apparently what a real man does, don't gaf about you. They want to see you mess up your life. I'm going to say it: most Sikhs of any denomination are scummy people. They delight in seeing a good guy circling the gutter. You seem to have a semblance of a conscience hence the introspection. Scum don't self reflect, and remarkably they don't seem to be any worse off for it. It's just one of those crazy symptoms of this diseased world. You're on the edge of a precarious situation. You could either fall into the abyss and become a full-blown sharabi, or you could pull back now and no long-term harm done. The choice is firmly in your hands. The only thing holding you back is the psychological block that's been implanted in your mind about culture and the masculine image. Overcome that and you're golden. But allow it to overpower your faculties and you're done.

Somebody truly sikh wouldn't want to see their brothers or sisters fall down the rabbit hole of addiction ...only scumbags misusing the title to cover their failings

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Somebody truly sikh wouldn't want to see their brothers or sisters fall down the rabbit hole of addiction ...only scumbags misusing the title to cover their failings.

So-called true Sikhs have their own failings away from issues of self intoxication but that's a discussion for another day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

So-called true Sikhs have their own failings away from issues of self intoxication but that's a discussion for another day.

I'm going from internal gurmat value system rather than outer bhes , these days any jaspreet, gurmeet and  harjinder can play dress up and fool folks .Besides many forms of addiction to this world's sideshow

Link to post
Share on other sites

"What kind of punjabi are u if u dont drink?"

Seriously??? Thats wats holding u back? 

U cant let losers like thay define wat punjabi people are. We used to he known for our hard work, anakh, and safety of all womenkind. And now these losers r redefining panjabis as drunks? 

Also what you do at home in the evening isnt any concern of theirs. You can have enough freedom to not drink at home at least. And if ur reputation bothers u,.u can drink in public likr weddings. 

But what would be better is if u say, it takes a strong will to quit smoking and drinking. And very few ppl manage it. I am gonna try and if u think im a sissy for quitting. I dare u guys to try. U wont last 1 day. 

That way u will also have accountability. You see to quit or start a new habit, u need accountability. So u should annouce it to someone, ur fiance, ur friends, or family that u will be quitting. This will help u not give into cravings as these ppl will laugh if u give in. Or u can place 100 dollars to charity or gurudwara or someone u hate, every can/bottle u drink. 

Also, please sober up before u get married. Ur wife will be horrified by ur drinking. Not only does it make u look ugly with a pot belly and fat around the face and red eyes and yellow teeth early in life. Alcohol creates many problems in a marriage. From fighting to domestic violence. U say u get violent from drinking. Wat if ur wife tells u to stop drinking and u hit her while ur drunk? That will be a hellish life. Quit while ur ahead. 

Also research all the bad things alcohol does to ur body, brain, and social relationships. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest London jwaan

Instead of giving you a bollocking like some others in here are doing, I will try and give you some practical advice.......

Start drinking becks blue or the Heineken alcohol free beer. Either that or grape juice in a wine glass. Yes it's not the same thing, but from all accounts, I hear that the beer in particular, if someone didn't tell you it was alcohol free, you wouldn't be able to tell.

Apart from that, ignore the peer pressure element. If people lay into you asking what kind of punjabi are you? Just reply "a healthier one". If they try and force you, tell them to drink it, in fact force them to knock it back and then laugh loud when they puke up later.

Get disciplined about the above and you will realise very quickly that you can go out and enjoy socialising without drinking. Giving up doesn't mean you need to sit at home mediating all day.

Alternatively, based on previous "medical" advice on this forum, pull down your cucha, squat down and shove a raw karela up your jagsaw. Apparently that can cure any illness no matter how serious. So must be able to instantly cure any addiction too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Ruserious

I think if your drinking that much then you should go speak to your gp and they can put you in touch with support.

Not sure why you think having a drink makes you a man or a punjabi. Obv you in the wrong crowd so change that, dont be so gullible.

You should probably not get married and ruin someones life until you sort your life out. 

Fix up before youu marriage mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...


  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Generally speaking (I'm not making this about your particular experience), if her last rites were performed according to Sikh maryada, then she wouldn't "be" with anyone, much less in a specific country with another person. That's what happens to so-called ghosts or spirits who haven't been able to pass over; they cling to people they loved or with whom they had an affinity when alive. Sikhi states, from the various things I've read over the years, that the worst thing that can possibly happen for the deceased is for their essence to remain tied to a living person or people. This would suggest the final paats, ardaasa, etc., conducted in the name of the deceased didn't work or fulfil their intended purpose. Then you have to ask yourself, "why?"
    • All I know its difficult,  I'm here if u need me 
    • India is going to be under the Chinese control.
    • Waheguru Ji We just had a very unexpected death that has shock us to the core.  Waheguru Ji..its sooo hard to process it. it doesn't even feel real   Why?!
    • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58996186 Vikings had a settlement in North America exactly one thousand years ago, centuries before Christopher Columbus arrived in the Americas, a study says.     IMAGE SOURCE,GETTY IMAGES Image caption,Replica Viking homes and other items at L'Anse aux Meadows, a Unesco world heritage site in N Scientists say a new dating technique analysing tree rings has provided evidence that Vikings occupied a site in Newfoundland, Canada, in 1021AD. It has long been known that Europeans reached the Americas before Columbus's arrival in the New World in 1492. But this is the first time researchers have suggested an exact date. Writing in the journal Nature, scientists said they had analysed the tree rings of three pieces of wood cut for the Norse settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows. They said that using an atmospheric radiocarbon signal produced by a dated solar storm as a reference, they were able to pin the "exact felling year of the tree" to 1021. Such a solar storm - a huge blast of radiation from the Sun that hits Earth - was known to have taken place in the year 992AD, the scientists said. This enabled them to determine a more accurate date than previous estimates for the camp of about 1000AD. "The association of these pieces with the Norse is based on detailed research previously conducted by Parks Canada," the study says, adding that there was clear evidence the sampled wood had been modified by metal tools. It adds that the L'Anse aux Meadows camp was a base from which other locations, including regions further south, were explored. The authors say the discovery represents a definitive point for future research into the initial consequences of transatlantic activity, such as the transfer of knowledge and the potential exchange of genetic information and pathologies. Dr Colleen Batey, a Viking specialist associated with the Institute for Northern Studies in Scotland, says the study does not necessarily suggest Vikings were not in the area in 1000AD. "It suggests that the short-lived settlement was active in about 1021 when wood was being worked at the site, probably related to either building or ship repair," she says. "As an archaeologist, I might interpret this as one stage of the occupation activity, not necessarily the first or indeed the last." L'Anse aux Meadows, a Unesco world heritage site on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland, is the first and only known site established by Vikings in North America and the earliest evidence of European settlement in the New World. Radiocarbon dating is a technique that measures residual concentrations of a radioactive isotope of carbon (carbon-14) present in an object. Carbon-14 decays over time and measuring how much is left tells you the age of a sample.  
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use