UK Sikh pledges 500 million pounds to Gurdwarae in Pakistan

Ranjeet01

3 hours ago, kcmidlands said:

I used to go to the same secondary school as him (he was the year ahead of me), his younger sister was in my class. His parent's ran a chip shop by the school, they were a normal family, he disappeared for a while and then came back a multi-millionaire, to this day i find it amazing that he never talks about his younger years in all his interviews or how he made his money, i could tell some stories but i'm not like that, I've got nothing personal against the guy but to say that all the stuff he does is above board would be a little rich.

I don’t think his wealth or how he acquired it should be under scrutiny.  The fact is he obviously has Sharda as he is willing to financially support causes for Sikhi.  He is the same guy who made the City Gurdwara project possible by financially supporting the Gurdwara Committee.  I also like the fact he supports a Dastar proudly and has a long flowing beard and hasn’t let that hold him back in success.  

On 6/14/2019 at 11:21 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

It's a win-win for the Pak Govt because Sikhs will be spending the money and boost their economy without Pak Govt having to spend a penny themselves. 

How much money would it take to get all the remaining Sikhs out of Afghanistan? 

How much money would it take to take to build houses for the homeless Shaheedi families?

There are so many things that could be done.

It would be a fraction of the money and it would provide a far better return in the years to come.

Our people are a foolish lot, without foresight. That is the root of why we continue to suffer. Worse is our enemies are aware of this idiotic trait in us and we hv been milked for decades now, if not centuries

20 hours ago, proactive said:

I doubt very much that he has that kind of money so it looks likely that he will take donations in order generate this amount. What Is needed is for the Sangat to become more aware and not waste their money by giving donations to such causes. If the Sangat doesn't donate then the idea will die as fast as it is was raised. 

Yeah, if someone wants to spend their own money, whatever.

But don't ask the Sangat to marble the floors of the Gurdwaras in Pakistan. I actually rather like the charm of the old-style construction.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:11 AM, kcmidlands said:

As far as the money's concerned, it seems like it's going to be a cash grab from all Sikh organizations and jathebania from around the world, be interesting to see how much Peter Virdee put's up himself.

Sucks.

On 6/14/2019 at 5:11 AM, kcmidlands said:

There was a thread last week on twitter about Sikh's in Pakistan and how they are treated, there a link below to one of the article's in the twitter thread (it's an old article so I hope things have changed over the years)

https://www.dawn.com/news/1025160

Horrible.

In fact, I think it would be better to do something for our brothers and sisters in Pakistan than to destroy the Gurdwaras and rebuild them with marble.

7 hours ago, TigerForce1 said:

I don’t think his wealth or how he acquired it should be under scrutiny.

No, I think it can and should always be under scrutiny. In fact whitewashing your name by donating to religion is a time-honored way for people with ill-gotten gains to absolve themselves of their sins. (Not saying he has ill-gotten gains.)

7 hours ago, TigerForce1 said:

I also like the fact he supports a Dastar proudly and has a long flowing beard and hasn’t let that hold him back in success.  

Of course that's a good thing. Yet we all know that there are bad people with beards, too. (Badal & company, for example.)

1 hour ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Our people are a foolish lot, without foresight. That is the root of why we continue to suffer. Worse is our enemies are aware of this idiotic trait in us and we hv been milked for decades now, if not centuries

It is an inadvertent way of the Pak Govt saying " Hey Sikhs, if you want to see your Historical sites, you pay for it".

The fact of the matter is that Pakistan does not get a lot of tourists in.

There are growing number of Sikhs going there and Sikhs going there will spend money.

It won't just be pilgrim tours, there will be knock on effect in other areas too.

People who left after partition may want to see their ancestral villages.

6 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

It is an inadvertent way of the Pak Govt saying " Hey Sikhs, if you want to see your Historical sites, you pay for it".

The fact of the matter is that Pakistan does not get a lot of tourists in.

There are growing number of Sikhs going there and Sikhs going there will spend money.

It won't just be pilgrim tours, there will be knock on effect in other areas too.

People who left after partition may want to see their ancestral villages.

Yep.

Also I imagine the Sikh populations around the Gurdwaras will grow too. So some of those Sikh-Afghan refugees may well find they have less hostile places to visit and meet other sangat?

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

Yep.

Also I imagine the Sikh populations around the Gurdwaras will grow too. So some of those Sikh-Afghan refugees may well find they have less hostile places to visit and meet other sangat?

Not sure whether the displays of affection and respect towards sikhs by the pakistani Punjabi people are authentic reflection of what lies in their hearts. Because if it were the case, surely Sikh population in pak wouldn't have dwindled to what it is today OR perhaps and this could be the case that only the Punjabi speaking Pakistanis of Punjab province find likeness in sikhs across the border because of similar language and to a degree culture, and the apparently sweet memories of Maharaja Ranjit Singhs just rule . I suspect it's mostly the Urdu speaking, deobandi affiliated crowd of pak that creates most islamist problems in both India and pak. 

Whatever maybe the case Lahore has always fascinated me because of its irreplaceable place in Sikh history. It's a place both loved and hated by sikhs because of obvious historical reasons. 

23 minutes ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Not sure whether the displays of affection and respect towards sikhs by the pakistani Punjabi people are authentic reflection of what lies in their hearts. Because if it were the case, surely Sikh population in pak wouldn't have dwindled to what it is today OR perhaps and this could be the case that only the Punjabi speaking Pakistanis of Punjab province find likeness in sikhs across the border because of similar language and to a degree culture, and the apparently sweet memories of Maharaja Ranjit Singhs just rule . I suspect it's mostly the Urdu speaking, deobandi affiliated crowd of pak that creates most islamist problems in both India and pak. 

Whatever maybe the case Lahore has always fascinated me because of its irreplaceable place in Sikh history. It's a place both loved and hated by sikhs because of obvious historical reasons. 

In the end, the volatile nature of the region and the demographics means that it will NEVER be any sort of stronghold/safe haven for Sikhs compared to other places across the border. But if the principle of safety in numbers and support networks have any truth, refugee Sikhs may well prefer these locations over others.

Only rose tinted glasses wearers (of which there are MANY) would blindly consider the place as any sort of friendly safe haven, and experiences with paks in other nations (like the UK) give a strong indication of how we are perceived by many from the region.  We've got a problem with simple-mindedness and gullibility, but hopefully people will learn not to be victims of this. 

Right now, for economic reasons (and maybe political ones too?), it serves p'stan to open up these places. It's on our people to make the most of this and implement whatever security measures are appropriate. Having ears and eyes in the region isn't a bad thing either. Yes, things can change suddenly and quickly, say if some hard-line cleric gets in power. Much like the shift from Akhbar to his son Jahunghira. Events in India like attacks on mosques outside of Punjab can also cause a sudden change too. This happened in Afghanistan with the attack on the Babri mosque for example. 

If nothing else it can serve as a point for Afghan-pak Sikhs to get closer to the majority panth in Panjab proper.

On 6/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, TigerForce1 said:

I don’t think his wealth or how he acquired it should be under scrutiny.  The fact is he obviously has Sharda as he is willing to financially support causes for Sikhi.  He is the same guy who made the City Gurdwara project possible by financially supporting the Gurdwara Committee.  I also like the fact he supports a Dastar proudly and has a long flowing beard and hasn’t let that hold him back in success.  

I think if you're going to use your wealth to support a religious purpose then you need to show where the money's coming from, the amount of time I've seen people launder money through Gurdware is ridiculous.