Jump to content
Redoptics

Transitioning from transliteration to reading Gurmukhi

Recommended Posts

So after 6 months or so I feel comfortable in saying I can sing Japji Sahib, it takes around 34 minutes as I sing it slow and clear.

However in saying that , i do not know the meaning of the words being spoken. As I use transliteration when reading but memorized the majority of the paath.

I am thinking of starting to read the Gurmukhi versions of Japji Shaib, so I can read and understand clearly.

Question is has anyone been in this situation and does anyone have any helpful tips.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Bro,

Why don't you follow BOS katha series on Japji Sahib JI  It will help you understand the meanings better and even their gurmukhi course will help you learn to read gurmukhi, where are you based maybe you have santhiya class nearby ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Bro,

Why don't you follow BOS katha series on Japji Sahib JI  It will help you understand the meanings better and even their gurmukhi course will help you learn to read gurmukhi, where are you based maybe you have santhiya class nearby ?

Live in Yorkshire, yeah I have see their series, they really go through line by line, I want to understand word by word, if that makes sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Down load these they will help Mahan Kosh by Kahn Singh NABHA in english translation:

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Mahan-Kosh-Vol-1

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Mahan-Kosh-Vol-2

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Mahan-Kosh-Vol-3

Hope that helps

A lot of reading there, will look into it, after doing more research just find it amazing,  Guru Nanak Ji wrote Patti Likhi shabad at 7 years old.

Edited by Redoptics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

A lot of reading there, will look into it, after doing more research just find it amazing,  Guru Nanak Ji wrote Patti Likhi shabad at 7 years old.

These are agurbani word and concepts dictionary , you can look up as you go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2019 at 1:08 PM, jkvlondon said:

Down load these they will help Mahan Kosh by Kahn Singh NABHA in english translation:

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Mahan-Kosh-Vol-1

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Mahan-Kosh-Vol-2

http://sikhbookclub.com/Book/Mahan-Kosh-Vol-3

Hope that helps

Wow, Mahankosh is available in English now? That's great, thanks a lot for the links.

Two niggles:

1) the scan by Sikh Book Club is very low resolution. If they were going to scan it, why not just scan at higher resolution? The problem is when you have to increase the zoom to read some words, you can't make out some of the vowel markings.

The higher resolution, the easier it is to read letters (whether on the screen or on paper).

2) for some reason the typesetting at Punjabi University wasn't proofread so where they give quotations from Gurbani, in some places they are not Gurbani, but rather the English letters that would correspond to the font. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Redoptics said:

A lot of reading there, will look into it, after doing more research just find it amazing,  Guru Nanak Ji wrote Patti Likhi shabad at 7 years old.

Do know that everything that Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha writes should not be taken as the absolute truth. Even more so in translation. Then you have no idea what is even being referenced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BhForce said:

Do know that everything that Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha writes should not be taken as the absolute truth. Even more so in translation. Then you have no idea what is even being referenced.

Bhulan andar sab ko, abhul Guru kartar... Just needto cross reference with Guru ji as the saying goes anything worth knowing is worth the effort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Redoptics said:

Thanks will look into it, that kids toy looks fun lol

I tell you one thing that set me back years (unnecessarily in my opinion). When I started trying to read Gurmukhi properly I too tried with Gurbani but for some unfathomable reason no one told me that certain vowel symbols (especially at the ends of words) are grammatical indicators and are not actually read as part of the word. This can confuse people (well it did me). 

So you might want to focus on some other less difficult texts (like children's books with words you might already know) for a bit - just to get proper familiarity with the sounds associated with the symbols. 

Dasam Bani doesn't use these silent symbols so you could also maybe use that as a tool to help nail reading? 

Great that you've got to this point in any case! Good on you.

There is nothing like being able to read in the original script - keep at it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2019 at 4:33 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Wow, that's a lot of work by Tejkaran Kaur.

I have to say, though 1) it's a bit presumptuous for a 20-year old to claim one's own opinions as being "A little deeper", implying that Prof. Sahib Singh was completely superficial.

I say that even though I'm not a blind fan of his translation. A little humility is in order, both for traditionalists commenting on Prof. Sahib Singh, and for missionaries commenting on Taksali/Nirmala works. "A little deeper" would be inappropriate even if she had put in a lifetime of learning, teaching, and practicing of Sikhism, which she certainly hasn't. "My thoughts" or "Some more vichaar" would have been better.

2) People should avoid thinking that Prof. Sahib Singh's commentary is the one and only commentary on Guru Granth Sahib. New learners should read other commentaries, too.

 

Good effort, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BhForce said:

Wow, that's a lot of work by Tejkaran Kaur.

I have to say, though 1) it's a bit presumptuous for a 20-year old to claim one's own opinions as being "A little deeper", implying that Prof. Sahib Singh was completely superficial.

I say that even though I'm not a blind fan of his translation. A little humility is in order, both for traditionalists commenting on Prof. Sahib Singh, and for missionaries commenting on Taksali/Nirmala works. "A little deeper" would be inappropriate even if she had put in a lifetime of learning, teaching, and practicing of Sikhism, which she certainly hasn't. "My thoughts" or "Some more vichaar" would have been better.

2) People should avoid thinking that Prof. Sahib Singh's commentary is the one and only commentary on Guru Granth Sahib. New learners should read other commentaries, too.

 

Good effort, of course.

Have heard that Professor sahib singh ji's reading was a bit superfical/literal in  some parts of his work on Guru ji so taking that into account cross reference with other steeks .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Terms of Use