Redoptics

Nishan Sahib, when did we start using the Khanda

Just wondering when we started using the khanda? And who introduced it? Was looking at some old paintings and Nishan Sahib was different.

Guru_Gobind_Singh_with_followers.jpg

Kattar_Dhal_Talwar.jpg

Sikh_flag.jpg

• Thanks 1

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My guess is after independence because pictures of morchey just prior have purataan jhanda. Plus it seems based on the ratrey khanda

Just now, jkvlondon said:

My guess is after independence because pictures of morchey just prior have purataan jhanda. Plus it seems based on the ratrey khanda

Nah, the new Khanda symbol was being used by WW1. I saw an old leaflet from some high ranking military gora with it on there. Shame I can't find that image anymore. It's weird because by the time I was growing up, knowledge of the original standard had practically disappeared from the SIkh masses. 

Here is some more evidence of the original standard. I've not seen some of these images before: 

dalnishan8.jpg

empire_37.jpg

empire_2.jpg

empire_2a.jpg

empire_7.jpg

empire_9.jpg

dalnishan7.jpg

Isn't the moon an emblem of the babylonian gods that illuminati follow ? I.e. Baal because the way the kirpans go around the khanda look like the bulls horns around the moon...or am I imagining things?

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

Isn't the moon an emblem of the babylonian gods that illuminati follow ? I.e. Baal because the way the kirpans go around the khanda look like the bulls horns around the moon...or am I imagining things?

The way it looks to me is that the modern Khanda symbol does have precedents or links to older Sikhi concepts: 

The khanda is obvious - from Bhai Gurdas's time at least we have the vaalaun nikkhi khandhan tau tikkhi  concept. Sikhi is sharper than the edge of a khanda.

The two kirpaans representing the concept of miri and piri have an early provence too (only found this out a few years ago) - in Kavi Kankan's Das Gurkatha we have:

ਪੀਰਨ ਤੇ ਜਿਨ ਪੀਰੀ ਹਰੀ ਲੀਨੀ ਗੁਰਾਈ।

ਸ਼ਾਹਨਿ ਸੋਂ ਪਤਿਸਾਹੀ ਹਰੀ ਅਰੁ ਮੀਰਨ ਕੀ ਜਿਨ ਮੀਰੀ ਗਵਾਈ।

Finally the chakhar or chakhram is traditionally linked with Vishnu, but according to Kahn Singh Nabha, it was one of the Panj Hathiar worn by dasmesh pita everyday (and to note, it was the one shaster/ashter that was different to the panj hathiaar worn by regular Khalsa members). 

That all being said, there was no reason to change the original standard, and doing so seems like a typical ploy of brits (which I've seen them do a number of times recently in places they've attacked and tried to colonise like Iraq).

What is significant (in my opinion) is what was excluded from the original nishaan. And that is the dhaal or shield. Obviously this represents a protective barrier for the panth, a defensive shield (in inclusion to offensive weapons). So this important concept has been missing. And it explains a lot in my opinion. That's maybe why goray could turn lots of apnay into their colonial attack dogs - whilst people totally forgot about protective factors - which led to partition and the loss of large swathes of Sikh zameen. 

Throw that in.

13 hours ago, Redoptics said:

Kattar_Dhal_Talwar.jpg

Sikh_flag.jpg

Looks like a somewhat abstract space shuttle passing beneath or across a moon or a planet in a starry sky. Maybe someone was trying to tell us something, lol? 

27 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

Looks like a somewhat abstract space shuttle passing beneath or across a moon or a planet in a starry sky. Maybe someone was trying to tell us something, lol? 

Yep, that we should have had our own space program by now. lol

18 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

Yep, that we should have had our own space program by now. lol

Yeah that shield looks like button moon lol oldies will know what I mean lol

5 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

Yeah that shield looks like button moon lol oldies will know what I mean lol

Lol

I'm sure you guys have figured it out, but just in case anyone hasn't, those bolts on the shield are meant to be these things:

products_686_1_large.jpg

products_687_1_large.jpg

5a296bbc09e14a77f7c0fe2117d65f07.jpg

indian-1800-dhal-buckler-shield-2.jpg

9 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Lol

I'm sure you guys have figured it out, but just in case anyone hasn't, those bolts on the shield are meant to be these things:

products_686_1_large.jpg

products_687_1_large.jpg

5a296bbc09e14a77f7c0fe2117d65f07.jpg

indian-1800-dhal-buckler-shield-2.jpg

The small knife is a katar

il_340x270.1835357639_hyg5.jpg

9 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

No straight up

K.

My point is that: is the symbology that is employed on the original Khalsa standard significant? Did Guru ji chose what was on there carefully with implied symbolic meaning - or was it just a simple selection of weaponry of the time?  Essentially, does the standard have deeper implied meanings? - to put it concisely and bluntly. 

4 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

K.

My point is that: is the symbology that is employed on the original Khalsa standard significant? Did Guru ji chose what was on there carefully with implied symbolic meaning - or was it just a simple selection of weaponry of the time?  Essentially, does the standard have deeper implied meanings? - to put it concisely and bluntly. 

To be honest they are real weapons used by Guru Hargobind Ji and Sikhs going forward,  I do not think there was any symbolic meaning to it, but obviously I could be wrong. Symbolism is usually repeating motifs such as eye of horus,  dawn of a new day, a cross etc etc etc. 

Edited by Redoptics