Nishan Sahib, when did we start using the Khanda

Redoptics

9 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

No straight up

K.

My point is that: is the symbology that is employed on the original Khalsa standard significant? Did Guru ji chose what was on there carefully with implied symbolic meaning - or was it just a simple selection of weaponry of the time?  Essentially, does the standard have deeper implied meanings? - to put it concisely and bluntly. 

4 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

K.

My point is that: is the symbology that is employed on the original Khalsa standard significant? Did Guru ji chose what was on there carefully with implied symbolic meaning - or was it just a simple selection of weaponry of the time?  Essentially, does the standard have deeper implied meanings? - to put it concisely and bluntly. 

To be honest they are real weapons used by Guru Hargobind Ji and Sikhs going forward,  I do not think there was any symbolic meaning to it, but obviously I could be wrong. Symbolism is usually repeating motifs such as eye of horus,  dawn of a new day, a cross etc etc etc. 

4 minutes ago, Redoptics said:

To be honest they are real weapons used by Guru Hargobind Ji and Sikhs going forward,  I do not think there was any symbolic meaning to it, but obviously I could be wrong. Symbolism is usually repeating motifs such as eye of horus,  dawn of a new day, a cross etc etc etc. 

See I disagree there. When we start looking at the writings of Guru ji as in the Dasam Granth and Zafarnama, we see symbolism and subtle allusion used heavily therein. I mean one of the most blatant examples is the use of the Chandi narrative. Look at the whole Khalsa culture - it is ram packed with symbolism too (as well as heavily practical aspects!) 

It seems out of character for Guru ji not to give deep thought to these things from what I can gather???? 

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

See I disagree there. When we start looking at the writings of Guru ji as in the Dasam Granth and Zafarnama, we see symbolism and subtle allusion used heavily therein. I mean one of the most blatant examples is the use of the Chandi narrative. Look at the whole Khalsa culture - it is ram packed with symbolism too (as well as heavily practical aspects!) 

It seems out of character for Guru ji not to give deep thought to these things from what I can gather???? 

You might be spot on but like I said I am not sure on this one, maybe some research is needed?

• 4 weeks later...