Privately-educated student doctor, 20, fell to her death from first floor balcony inside John Lewis store after suffering from anorexia and exam stress

• Medical student Hannah Bharaj, 20, died after falling from a balcony 
  • Her inquest heard she developed anorexia as a result of being highly stressed
  • She was rushed to hospital after the fall but was pronounced dead the day after
  • Her inquest is due to continue for five days  in Stockport, Greater Manchester

15532068-0-image-a-9_1562074702751.jpg

Medical student Hannah Bharaj, pictured with her father Harry, right, fell to her death on July 12 last year having completed her second year of medical studies

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7205149/Student-doctor-suffering-anorexia-fell-death.html

5 hours ago, MisterrSingh said:

Does anorexia lead to this brand of suicide? I thought anorexia is, in part, a condition that serves to prolong the mental anguish of the afflicted through a cycle of self destructive behaviour without really making that final step into oblivion? There's something more going on here.

Ultimately starving oneself deranges the chemical balance of the brain , so depression, anxiety and panic attacks are fairly common and hard to resolve as pharmaceuticals cannot address this underlying problem. Had a colleague with a daughter affected by this , it takes it out of every family member even if help is obtained. Possibly she felt inadequate to complete her studies, to tell her folks so many possibilities...no way to end a life.

1 hour ago, jkvlondon said:

Ultimately starving oneself deranges the chemical balance of the brain , so depression, anxiety and panic attacks are fairly common and hard to resolve as pharmaceuticals cannot address this underlying problem. Had a colleague with a daughter affected by this , it takes it out of every family member even if help is obtained. Possibly she felt inadequate to complete her studies, to tell her folks so many possibilities...no way to end a life.

Poor kid. Occasionally, all it takes is an outside opinion to shine a light or alter the victim's viewpoint to shift their mindset to one of a little positivity. It's obviously not always that simple because the problem might be deep seated, but some young folks dig themselves into a rut that, to them, seems like an inescapable hole.

1 minute ago, MisterrSingh said:

Poor kid. Occasionally, all it takes is an outside opinion to shine a light or alter the victim's viewpoint to shift their mindset to one of a little positivity. It's obviously not always that simple because the problem might be deep seated, but some young folks dig themselves into a rut that, to them, seems like an inescapable hole.

Plus uni services are cr4p for helping distressed youngsters.

4 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

Plus uni services are cr4p for helping distressed youngsters.

What about family?

Does putting serious pressure over achievements on youngsters play a part?

Why do these youngsters not feel like they can approach their families about the pressure and stress? 

I would understand if the parents were unparh pendus, but the parents seem to be high achieving, educated people in these cases? 

9 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

What about family?

Why do these youngsters not feel like they can approach their families about the pressure and stress? 

I would understand if the parents were unparh pendus, but the parents seem to be high achieving, educated people in these cases? 

I'm not suggesting this might be the case in the example of what's being discussed here, but high achieving, so-called educated people are cold, if you know what I mean. I've noticed no matter the level of educational attainment in our community, there's a certain dullness of spirit and detachment that's ever present. You get a kid who just wants an occasional arm around their shoulder, and when they don't get it, it's tough to deal with. Some kids don't play up and rebel like most; they just straight-up end it, no ifs, no buts.

1 minute ago, dallysingh101 said:

What about family?

In the story parents we made aware at a very late stage after it was found necessary to commit her to psych ward(unnecessarily harsh and damaging) then transferring her to a rehab unit in the Priory known for drug addiction rehab so my question is was it suitable for her xondition given her unstable mental state? Parents were trusting of the 'system' and thought it would fix her like many Indians think doctor is God... But the poor thing needed more personal time and attention from her family and counselling from special eating disorders experts. She needed reassurance that she was enough in herself , the studies and career was a far second.

2 minutes ago, MisterrSingh said:

I'm not suggesting this might be the case in the example of what's being discussed here, but high achieving, so-called educated people are cold, if you know what I mean. I've noticed no matter the level of educational attainment in our community, there's a certain dullness of spirit and detachment that's ever present. You get a kid who just wants an occasional arm around their shoulder, and when they don't get it, it's tough to deal with. Some kids don't play up and rebel like most; they just straight-up end it, no ifs, no buts.

I hear you there.

I think many of the parents (of this type) define themselves by their success to such a degree that the children not meeting their standards is some inconceivable/intolerable/unimaginable thing. 

If you've got a child with a sensitive disposition who is struggling under this - the consequences can be heavy. 

I've also heard that some pampered, rich children (not saying this was the case here),  can seriously over react when they hit a wall later on in life - and do this. 

What is surprising though (to me) is that she didn't do 'a cry for help' type suicide attempt like most girls do - but just jumped straight to it.  Poor thing.