GURMAT SANGEET / RAAG KIRTAN / DILRUBA - JORI = LESSONS HELP

Guest Sunny Singh

Guest sunny singh

I thak everyone for the replies and time taken for there in put.

raj academy is un practical imo, as they charge and the model that is in place for a beginner needs to have a disposable flow of funding to be taught.

I am just becoming upset and disheartened in all honesty as the search for how to learn, play and for free authentic instrumental kirtan is basically non existent .

I will keep on trying but I just fear that eventually if I don't find anything then I will just have to be forced to but walk away from the whole wish and desire, until I have a disposable income to pay a teacher.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Not in this day and age. It's either pay top dollar for tuition or receive subpar instruction that's reflected in the lower price. The so-called premier ustaads aren't interested in pro-bono or discount prices. The arts have become the plaything of a wealthy elite and well-connected minority even in our community. If you manage to find an old-school teacher who isn't eyeing you up for how much cash he can wring out of you, you'll be very lucky.

I can't help but say that this may be the case, but how can any of us honestly begrudge accomplished masters their due?

I mean, we all (or our parents) are engineers, doctors, lawyers, shopkeepers, businessowners, etc., earning a lot of money.

If someone among us takes the time to learn dozens of raags and the fine points of playing stringed instruments, how can we expect them to spend their time on us for free? After all, ustad work doesn't have a retirement plan.

3 hours ago, Guest sunny singh said:

I am just becoming upset and disheartened in all honesty as the search for how to learn, play and for free authentic instrumental kirtan is basically non existent .

I think it is extremely naive of you to think that someone should spend their time giving you individual instruction for free.

What line of work are you in or are planning to go into?

Would you do accounting work for free?

4 hours ago, BhForce said:

I think it is extremely naive of you to think that someone should spend their time giving you individual instruction for free.

Yes. I would. I would because I want to keep the legacy of the Raag tradition for the next generation of Sikhs. I do know some people that teach classical raag and instruments like Rabab but that's in Australia

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
On 7/13/2019 at 1:45 AM, Guest Sunny Singh said:

Vahiguru Ji Ka Khalsa Vahiguru Ji ki Fateh,

I am based in central London, and I have always been drawn to Drupad / original raag gurmat sangeet kirtan but I have never had the confidence to pursue further.

I am totally lost in terms of knowing where to go to seek help for learning and I would really want to become a student of a Ustaad / teacher and dedicate myself to being a loyal student.

The other major fact and element is that I am financially not secure currently and do not have enough finances to fund private expensive lessons and would humbly ask to be taught for free or at a very reduced amount of price of funds if need be.

So I have a humble Benti if anyone can help.

Dear Sunny Singh, 

My children have Dilruba and Santhya lessons via face-time video calls from really good chardi kala singhs and kaurs from India. They have an hours lesson (both combined) 5 days a week and in pound sterling it costs us as little as £30 a month. Once the older one gets just a little more advanced on the dilruba we will get him some lessons from a namdhari to get to the highest level (which will have a financial impact) but for now these lessons are perfect. Not gonna give you the name / number etc because I am a human being and like all human being I am selfish - i.e. it is to my benefit that the teachers don't have too many students on their book....thus able to devote more time to my kids. There's plenty of them out there though....you just need to ask around. 

On 7/14/2019 at 7:42 PM, AkalkiFauj said:

True

I learnt tabla from Ustad Matlashi Ji for 15 years, he's an amazing font of knowledge when it comes to classical Indian music and instruments.

As already mentioned, this is a livelihood for those who teach it, they've spent years learning themselves, we need to respect that, I think you can probably learn the basics for free but then to push it further you'd end up paying because it takes up more of the Ustads time (which is how i learnt).

Guest GuestSingh
7 hours ago, BhForce said:

wat if tht person learnt for free themselves as a kid from elders who werent thinking about any profit but then later decides to make profit from it? dnt they automatically forfeit the ryt to charge anyone wishing to learn?

but then teachers do need to cover their expenses i.e. fuel for travel so it does cost em somethin if they hold a class every weekend.

imo as long as the prices are fair n reasonable, the investment is worth it.