• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• There's a Pirthiya (Guru Arjan Dev Ji's dodgy brother) in every family, lol.
    • 100% correct. Everyone I know wears a so-called Kenyan style pagh. It's really British Indian Army style, but let's put aside semantics. Most people, the youth included, actually wear the Kenyan style. A few do wear the gol style but it's no where in comparison to the Kenyan style. Ratio would be 1:10 if not more.  Aside from a few elderly individuals*, UK Jatt's are effectively non-turbaned - just ask Jassi Sidhu why he wears a Kenyan turban even though his parents descend from Punjab. His neighbour was Kenyan, his father didn't wear a turban, so he took upon the style of the Kenyans. The gol pagh has taken root to some degree but given the shear numbers of Kenyan style turbans, and their descendants, there's mathematically zero chance of a takeover. The Kenyan pagh is not a phase but the same can't be said the gol pagh. Only time will tell. The Patiala shahi or the "Indian style" has no precedence in the UK - jatt's had/have no interest. They're nearly all clean-shaven by default. Aside from a few of their progeny who've been taken in by various Sikh camps, they have no interest. Walk into any British educational establishment - from Aberdeen to Southampton, it's mostly Kenyan turbans - if any. If you do see a chap wearing an Indian style, he's recently arrived from India. Chances are his children will discard the pagh or, adopt the Kenyan style. Kenyan turbans are 4th generation now. It's no surprise that all the major legal turban battles in the UK were fought by non-jatt's. Motorcycle helmet in Manchester (Giani Sundar Singh Sagar), caps as part of the bus driver's uniform in Wolverhampton (Tarsem Singh Sandhu - my uncle) or a Brummie school kid being asked to wear a cap as part of the school uniform (Sewa S Mandla).  Legislation affecting headgear never affects jatt's  -why would it? Jatt's can mock the Kenyan turban all day long, but it doesn't take away away from the legal fact that today, British Sikhs wear turbans in the High Court or operating theatres or to school or drive buses because non-jatt's decided to not cut their hair and conform.   Conflict of interest: I wear a British Indian Army style aka Kenyan style pagh. However, my father wear's an Indian/Patiala shahi style. *many of these individuals were non-turbanned throughout their lives but adopted the pagh upon retirement, maybe born-again-Sikhs or more likely, embarrassing bald patches.  California Sardar is more informed about the UK pagh than the Sikhs living in the UK. How utterly bizarre.
    • Sunny although the elder brother is quite envious of his younger brother and is desperate to get out of his shadow.  Must be quite hard for him to accept that Jagraj was the alpha male who got all the girls in his pre-amritdhari days. Jagraj was the charismatic one and Sunny was the creepy one.
    • Some singhs "vandalized" the giddha bhangra statues at the amritsar heritage street leading to jallianwala Bagh and harmandir sahib.  Those statues shouldn't be there in the first place.  Every time I been there the statues really annoyed me and looked very out of place.  They have a huge statue of maharaja ranjit singh which is fine. Its further down anyway.  Sadly from what iv read the singhs have been arrested.   
    • Things are changing here man  you can see lots of young singhs in the uk these days.  Older generation knew very little about sikhi themselves and knew more about superstions. Its thanks to people like bhai jagraj singh that so many people got into sikhi  As for paghs, older generations mostly wear the patiala style pagh while younger singhs wear dhumalla, which these days is the most popular style here. Boys from families that are from Kenya still wear Kenyan style mostly, but majority of then trim their dharis  in fact it's rare to see one with a full dhari, which defeats the whole purpose! 

Important Information

Terms of Use