Our sikh youth

Guest Sukh singh

Guest Sukh singh

WGJKK WGJKF

Whilst going through college and university, I have noticed a huge divide in our Sikh youth. I've seen many young Sikh men either go full cultural or full Sikhi. Women on the other hand, I rarely see any that truly follow Sikhi. I know one woman, 21 now who is dating an amrit shuk man in his 20s. She got personal and told me that they've had intimate relations and that it only took 4 days of them speaking for her to give him that intimacy (intercourse.. ). 

And she really shows interest in Sikhi but didn't truly see how wrong this was. And for the man, he said he was forced to shuk amrit, so that's pretty bad in itself as he has had various gfs and other stuff whilst amritdhari. 

Now if this woman is someone who goes gurdwara every weekend and shows genuine interest in Sikhi but still does panga like this, I am losing faith in humanity. The rest of the sikh women that i have met in my life, 95% of them are fully cultural with a drinking, clubbing and sexual lifestyle. Smoking, getting many tattoo's etc. Why aren't women going towards sikhi? Many men that I've met, although there's a lot of messed ones out there, I've met quite a few that took deep steps towards guruji and sikhi. Can't say the same about women. What can be done as a Panth? A lot of women don't even care or have any respect if you point things out like them posting stuff like smoking weed but having a khanda in their bio. Etc.

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh

Whilst going through college and university, I have noticed a huge divide in our Sikh youth. I've seen many young Sikh men either go full cultural or full Sikhi. Women on the other hand, I rarely see any that truly follow Sikhi

Your eyes see what they wanna see. I'm sure if you re-conditioned the way you view things you'll start to see things more closely resembling reality, i.e. the fact that there seems to be more girls going to the Gurdwara, into Sikhi etc whilst the males are out in pubs, clubs and generally up to no good.

On 7/23/2019 at 11:25 AM, Guest Sukh singh said:

WGJKK WGJKF

Whilst going through college and university, I have noticed a huge divide in our Sikh youth. I've seen many young Sikh men either go full cultural or full Sikhi. Women on the other hand, I rarely see any that truly follow Sikhi. I know one woman, 21 now who is dating an amrit shuk man in his 20s. She got personal and told me that they've had intimate relations and that it only took 4 days of them speaking for her to give him that intimacy (intercourse.. ). 

And she really shows interest in Sikhi but didn't truly see how wrong this was. And for the man, he said he was forced to shuk amrit, so that's pretty bad in itself as he has had various gfs and other stuff whilst amritdhari. 

Now if this woman is someone who goes gurdwara every weekend and shows genuine interest in Sikhi but still does panga like this, I am losing faith in humanity. The rest of the sikh women that i have met in my life, 95% of them are fully cultural with a drinking, clubbing and sexual lifestyle. Smoking, getting many tattoo's etc. Why aren't women going towards sikhi? Many men that I've met, although there's a lot of messed ones out there, I've met quite a few that took deep steps towards guruji and sikhi. Can't say the same about women. What can be done as a Panth? A lot of women don't even care or have any respect if you point things out like them posting stuff like smoking weed but having a khanda in their bio. Etc.

Its a 2 part problem. 

One is statistically, as a male you are more likely to know more males personally and can know if they are good and not. And of the women you do know, they will be the more outgoing 'bad ones' as they are hanging out or talking to males. The good girls dont really talk to random guys. 

Secondly, i noticed in India, people had really low opinion about sikhs born in the west. I thought it was just jeolousy. But I realized they were right. Most sikhs born in the West live in comfort and dont do any hard labor nor have any  problems like court cases against their family etc. And this makes it easier for them to let go of sikhi when times become hard. And they are used to having their cake and eating it too. Like sikhi camps in the west are about fun and doing activities and not making it too boring.  And theres fake meat options. Also most panjabi sikhs born in the west wear beautiful dumallas and chollas but their knowledge of sikhi is lacking, can barely speak panjabi. Or if they do know panjabi, they lack cultural, dharmi values. Like sharam.

In gurudwaras, boys and girls hang out together, talking and laughing. This would be seen as obscene in india. Most ppl including sikh kids, get their worldviews from society. So the LGBTQ stuff, love marriages, havin relations before marriage is all seen as ok by western sikh kids. 

Basically ppl in the west treat sikhi as christians treat their religion. Only matters on Sunday, thats when u dress up in bana and learn to be a good person. But the rest of the week, no restrictions on pleasure. 

Plus lets be honest, temptation is hard. And in the west, negative consequences that keep us from giving into temptation, are non existent. There will be no village gossip, no damage to reputation, no shittar from parents, no being kicked out of the house. Its easy to keep secrets. 

As for solutions: it all begins in the family. Be strict with your children esp girls. But explain to them why as well. Dont be dictator. Explain to them that girls have lots of responsibility because they have power. In california, there was a case of a 14 year old dastaar wearing girl. She became pregnant and as her mom helped her kill it or abort it. Its unclear. The girl let it slip to her teacher 2 years later. The police was called, body of baby was found in backyard. And whole family arrested. Dad ended up comitting suicide, mom is in jail and the girl and her little brother in foster care. Because of the girl, whole family was destroyed. 

I guess we have to use fear as a motivator when temptation abounds. 

Guest Sukh singh
On 7/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Its a 2 part problem. 

One is statistically, as a male you are more likely to know more males personally and can know if they are good and not. And of the women you do know, they will be the more outgoing 'bad ones' as they are hanging out or talking to males. The good girls dont really talk to random guys. 

Secondly, i noticed in India, people had really low opinion about sikhs born in the west. I thought it was just jeolousy. But I realized they were right. Most sikhs born in the West live in comfort and dont do any hard labor nor have any  problems like court cases against their family etc. And this makes it easier for them to let go of sikhi when times become hard. And they are used to having their cake and eating it too. Like sikhi camps in the west are about fun and doing activities and not making it too boring.  And theres fake meat options. Also most panjabi sikhs born in the west wear beautiful dumallas and chollas but their knowledge of sikhi is lacking, can barely speak panjabi. Or if they do know panjabi, they lack cultural, dharmi values. Like sharam.

In gurudwaras, boys and girls hang out together, talking and laughing. This would be seen as obscene in india. Most ppl including sikh kids, get their worldviews from society. So the LGBTQ stuff, love marriages, havin relations before marriage is all seen as ok by western sikh kids. 

Basically ppl in the west treat sikhi as christians treat their religion. Only matters on Sunday, thats when u dress up in bana and learn to be a good person. But the rest of the week, no restrictions on pleasure. 

Plus lets be honest, temptation is hard. And in the west, negative consequences that keep us from giving into temptation, are non existent. There will be no village gossip, no damage to reputation, no shittar from parents, no being kicked out of the house. Its easy to keep secrets. 

As for solutions: it all begins in the family. Be strict with your children esp girls. But explain to them why as well. Dont be dictator. Explain to them that girls have lots of responsibility because they have power. In california, there was a case of a 14 year old dastaar wearing girl. She became pregnant and as her mom helped her kill it or abort it. Its unclear. The girl let it slip to her teacher 2 years later. The police was called, body of baby was found in backyard. And whole family arrested. Dad ended up comitting suicide, mom is in jail and the girl and her little brother in foster care. Because of the girl, whole family was destroyed. 

Very well written response.

One thing I've noticed in the west is that with islamic communities, their kids generally do their daily prayers and are a lot more focused on god than our current sikh western youth. I cannot say they're all good though because I also see a lot of the girls go clubbing and get in relationships and the men getting in wrong crowds or associating with various nasheh etc. But at least they can read the Qur'an. Western sikh parents can either not even read in gurmukhi these days, or do not pass it down to kids so kids are unable to read our gurus baanis.

Guest Jatti preet
On 7/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, puzzled said:

Punjabi women are dirty and trashy, it's embarasing to be associated with them, I don't talk to any,  it's embarasing to even be seen talking to them sometimes, the trashyness  is too much.  

No offense to anyone ... 

I completely agree. They're losing their virginity as teens these days, go around drinking smoking clubbing and wearing the most revealing clothing. Our media doesn't help either because of all the sexualisation that's hitting the industry and the amount of tolerance of daru in our music industry. I have little cousins , 6 years old and 4 and they sing songs like jaismine sandalas "sip sip" and consume the visuals in the music videos. Rabb knows how they may turn out from all of this. I really wish not like a majority of the women in our current punjabi community. I want to say good things about our women but honestly when everyones sleeping around from young ages and getting drunk with strangers all the time, its so rare to see a punjabi woman  these dayswith enough self respect to not consume intoxicants and that doesnt show their body off as sex symbols. Men are not angels either, many messed up punjabi men in our communities. But im willing to point out the women are more in numbers due to the huge divide thats clearly visible in society of the punjabi women living overly western and the Punjabi men having someone interest in preserving their roots. (to an extent.) Unfortunately most Punjabis in general only wish to preserve cultural aspects if their roots rather than the religious related ones. Even religious duties are becoming cultural tasks such as a sikh wedding ceremony before a huge party containing intoxicants. Only doing the anand kaaraj for cultural tradition reasons. List goes on when it comes to these things. I just wished parents taught punjabi women (as well as men!) Some more self respect and to not be living like total sk*ts in modern society. And i wished punjabi men would stop fueling this too

Guest guest
On 7/23/2019 at 7:25 PM, Guest Sukh singh said:

WGJKK WGJKF

the French have a saying "the clothes do not the monk make".  don't think just because someone is outwardly in religious appearance that that means they are good people (and vice versa).

alot of guys who keep kesh or who are "amritdhari" do alot of immoral stuff.  you even mentioned one such guy.  so why are you only focusing on women?

how was the man "forced" to shuck amrit?  it's just lies.  as for her "not knowing it was wrong"- so why doesnt she go tell her family about her relationship then?  see?  more lies.

also women are generally more sheepish and conformist.  hence the fashion industry mainly aimed at women.  they always imitate their friends and look to them for approval.  guys are less like this.  i don't know why.

also women gossip more, so their friends tell other people when they do bad stuff and it gets know.  but guys don't gossip so much, hence the bad stuff they do is lesser known.

Guest guest
On 7/24/2019 at 8:32 PM, Not2Cool2Argue said:

Its a 2 part problem. 

uh you may have not have noticed that sikhs in west have a low opinion of sikhs in india.  gold diggers, devious, deceitful.

sikhs in India dont seem particularly clued up on sikhism either.  and all these college kids are dating with gf/bf.  even these village kids.

i've noticed that girls are perceived as having a lot of power, and it shouldn't be that way.  they're not worthy of it and alot of them abuse it on purpose.  women should neither be respected or disrespected (same with men).

as for that family you mention.  the mother is in jail because she murdered the baby rather than have the family shamed.  and the father committed suicide due to the shame.  so i don't think you can blame the (albeit very stupid) daughter.

sikh community should move past that "shame" mentality and concentrate on honesty and compassion for others.

• 2 months later...
Guest GuruKirpaKarn

These are some of the most sexist posts I have ever read. Some of you “singhs” are discussing in your misogynistic  mentalities. May Guru Sahib Jee protect the women and girls in your lives. 

Also - regarding the comments on the situation in California of the teen pregnancy:

It is not the daughter’s fault one bit - she is and was a child during all these events. She was raped and abused by her maternal uncle and her parents chose to protect their worthless honor and ego instead of protecting their innocent child. The daughter is a victim of her uncle AND parents. The adults in her life deserve worse than just jail and death, but Guru Sahib Jee will take care of that.