Why do we cremate?

puzzled

On 7/28/2019 at 10:57 AM, puzzled said:

Why do we cremate?  A Christian girl asked me that and i didn't know the answer!   in Christianity fire represents Hell.

I said we cremate so we become dust and part of earth     mitti  ਮਿੱਟੀ ?   thats what we are made of after all?     and she said Ok that makes sense 

I once read that Hindus cremate because that releases the soul,  that dont make sense to me   some even smash the skull with the club! 

Can you imagine the land issues if we had cemeteries? What with land prices so high, everyone would turn to cremation. I think it was France where they were running out of places to bury ppl and they have found catacombs with hundreds of skeletons. 

Also they say burning the body, helps the soul move on. Otherwise it likes to linger close to its familiar body. 

20 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

we indians don't live off govt paychecks unlike u lazy slob westerners. 

We work harder then you lot. Any progress in Punjab has been mainly because of NRIs   especially in the pinds. 

Indians are too corrupt to make any progress   that's why most Indians are poor and still poop in fields and streets 

Sikhs have nosuperstitions over disposal of the bodies, we are told our body will revert to its elemental state and be reused. Asa di war points out the falsity of thinking burial protects the body for kayamat or thinking dying by fire means you go to narak (muslim beliefsystem). The hindus do cremation as a purification rite , we don't , we just do what it practical , do not waste land for the living by burying the dead also avoiding  opening the chance of fixating on certain people (possible khabar worshipping). In disease deaths it is wiser to dispose by cremation but thereis nothing against sikhs being buried at sea or jaal parwan  It is easier to accept hukam if there is no constant place reminding you that person's body is there .

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:17 AM, MisterrSingh said:

Some Mahapurash use to request a sea "burial", i.e. releasing the body to the elements and allowing wildlife in the water to devour it. I'm not sure whether that's still happening.

Sant Baba Herkhowal.

All I kno is burying may take up land but thanks to human remains we have a better understanding of Human/ animal history. Recovery of buried artefacts/ old stuff gives us understanding of historical culture.