Jump to content
Guest Guest Kaur

Wearing a Sari

Recommended Posts

Guest Guest Kaur

Before I took Amrit I used to love to wear Saris to family and work functions. As an Amritdhari now I still wear them, I can’t get enough of them. I attended a friends wedding and wore a sari. A Singh came up to me randomly and said Sikh women shouldn’t wear saris. I asked him why and he said it’s not equipped for battle.This is the first time I’ve heard of this. I told him to mind his own business and told him where to go. I’m not going to battle at a wedding but even so a sari is equipped and easy to manoeuvre in. 

As an Amritdhari I am comfortable wearing a sari and must say they’re comfortable. Before anyone says your lower back and stomach is exposed-that’s not always the case, there’s more than one way to tie a sari. 

I would like a females perspective on this rather than a male one because I think it would interesting to see what Sikh women think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

JUST ADDING am a male... Congrats on telling the guy off! We need more strong minded Gursikhs as such.

This don't mean tell off people that criticise you. NO! But when they thaup their baseless ideology on you FIREY AA! Bhenji here asked "Why" heard the baseless comment n told him how it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Singh1989 said:

JUST ADDING am a male... Congrats on telling the guy off! We need more strong minded Gursikhs as such.

This don't mean tell off people that criticise you. NO! But when they thaup their baseless ideology on you FIREY AA! Bhenji here asked "Why" heard the baseless comment n told him how it is.

bruv how can it be baseless wen guru ji says wear bana? its a valid point.

imo any amritdhari sikh of the guru shud always wear it wen able to since its confirmation of who u r but it seems sum still want the 'best of both worlds'.

anyway if a bibi is attacked on the street then wudnt the chunni be in her face n sari wrapped around her legs n ankles etc?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saree is an element of Hindu Brahminical culture  . It's male equivalent is dhoti. 

Hindus have already destroyed our sovereignty in 1947 , infact long before that, and destroying Sikh identity is large part of their plan. You're helping them succeed in this.

Why don't you go ahead and also wear a mangal sutr, sindhoor, do Sati when your husband dies. In high probability you're a Hindu nationalist here with ur agenda of subsuming sikhi into hinduism

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About a century ago punjabi women used to wear ghagra and choli   you can see it in the old photos of harmandir sahib. It doesn't matter I think  as long as its modest and your body is covered it's fine.

 

full68917 (1).jpg

Edited by puzzled

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

bruv how can it be baseless wen guru ji says wear bana? its a valid point.

Bana doesn't always necesarily include a Chola if that's what you're alluding to.

Bana is essentially Panj Kakkar, Dastaar, Kamarkassa, Shastar.

9 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

imo any amritdhari sikh of the guru shud always wear it wen able to since its confirmation of who u r but it seems sum still want the 'best of both worlds'. 

anyway if a bibi is attacked on the street then wudnt the chunni be in her face n sari wrapped around her legs n ankles etc?

By some I think you mean the majority. Most Amritdharis don't wear Bana on every single occasion they're able. Although I agree perhaps more of an effort should be made ideally speaking.

And most Amritdhari Sikh women also wear a chunni including many of those who wear a Keski/Dastaar. Many millions of women seem to do plenty of demanding physically laborious tasks just fine in saris too.

9 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

Saree is an element of Hindu Brahminical culture  . It's male equivalent is dhoti. 

Hindus have already destroyed our sovereignty in 1947 , infact long before that, and destroying Sikh identity is large part of their plan. You're helping them succeed in this.

Why don't you go ahead and also wear a mangal sutr, sindhoor, do Sati when your husband dies. In high probability you're a Hindu nationalist here with ur agenda of subsuming sikhi into hinduism 

Exaggeration as usual. If a sari is part of Brahminical culture then why do non-Brahmin women wear saris? Why would Brahmins want, or, even let non-Brahmin women to wear their clothes?

Saris are nothing more than the predominant garment for females in a geographical region. Same way a Chola is not exclusively a Sikh garment. And also the same as how thobe/jubba isn't actually an Islamic garment.

If you recall in the ridiculous 'coconuts are Brahminvaad' thread, the many instances of overlap were pointed out. But let's conveniently forget that shall we and instead make overly-dramatised, sarcastic (and lame) suggestions.

Krishan Bhagwan is known as the one who wears a pagdi so should we stop wearing them?! In Islam a turban is considered Sunnah so should we stop wearing them?!

Get a grip.

13 hours ago, puzzled said:

Im a guy but iv seen women wearing sarees and Kirpan at hazoor sahib. 

And so they should; given that most Amritdhari females don't wear a chola*, that leaves the option of a Punjabi suit and there's absolute no reason Hazoori women should be expected to wear clothing of another cultural group. As long as it's modest, there should be no issue.

*There's some differences in belief on whether women even wore a chola/are even supposed to wear one. And before someone breaks out with the modern day picture of Mai Bhago...that's not evidence lol. Either way I have no opinion on this particular matter itself.

 

Gurbar Akaal!

Edited by MrDoaba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frankly speaking, what makes you stand out from the crowd if you dress like Draupadi ? We all know how quick it was for her to be unable to fight because her covering was being ripped from her body. A sikh woman should be able to be identifiable as Guru Gobind Singh ji's DAUGHTER in a crowd of millions . Dressing like the masses will not achieve that, we are not meant to wear the clothing of the brahmins , no dhoti or sareeas theseare dictated by their scriptures.

Asfor preet's dodgy assertion that women wore their sari like someone going down rhe market on the battlefield she is wrong ,(such a bogus picture she wouldn't be able ride a horse wearing a sarilike that it wouldhave to be hoistedup) many wore men's attire or their sari like dhoti style try looking at depiction of durga/kali . Running around in skirts on the battlefield is cumbersome. Our history shows our women dressed differently from muslim and hindu women because of our need to be able to defend our own honour. and to Not do display of our bodies to entice kaam in others. We are not expected to be the playthings of men butvalued as people in our own right , with responsibility forourown lives and actiins , Do you honestly think Guru ki maatavan and bhaina were dressed like hindus in solaan shingar? Our job is to dress well but not to keep our focus on our bodies but our souls.

most sarees rely on tight revealing blouses, with plunging necklines , A sikh woman would not be comfortable with skmilar cuts on their kameez for a reason becauseit is not the type of modesty level required to go in front of Guru Sahiban . BTW I'm a woman too .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 12:58 PM, puzzled said:

Im a guy but iv seen women wearing sarees and Kirpan at hazoor sahib. 

Naale osne kiha k guys na post karn- nahi hate na tusi 😂🕺🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Frankly speaking, what makes you stand out from the crowd if you dress like Draupadi ? We all know how quick it was for her to be unable to fight because her covering was being ripped from her body. A sikh woman should be able to be identifiable as Guru Gobind Singh ji's DAUGHTER in a crowd of millions . Dressing like the masses will not achieve that, we are not meant to wear the clothing of the brahmins , no dhoti or sareeas theseare dictated by their scriptures.

Jesus Christ, you really have some serious mental issues. I'm actually at a loss for words because of your sheer idiocy and ineptitude regarding Dharmik ithiaas. If that - and I mean the fact you have taken a Dharmik story and derived one of the most ridiculous messages from it....."don't wear a saari because Draupadi DUH" - is the level your buddhi works at then I'm wondering if you're putting something other than karele up your jagsaw. Maharaaj samatt bakshan.

Again I repeat if saaris are the clothing of Brahmins then why do non-Brahmin women wear it? I urge you to take a trip to Hazoor Sahib and try to lecture one of the women there, actually I dare you. Say to them what you have typed here and see what kinda uttar you get. ਬਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਛਾਪਾ ਦਿਖਾਈਂ......

If, as you say, "saaris and dhotis are dictated by their scriptures" is your reasoning why we shouldn't wear them (which personally I think is a bogus claim and is something else you have a tendency to do; make baseless claims, you should show us evidence of this claim btw), then why don't you read in my last post where I stated that wearing a turban is considered Sunnah in Islam. Do you know what sunnah means? "Sunnah means the way of the prophet". So, I ask, shall we stop wearing turbans too?

Didn't you say some of your male relatives wore a chaadra? Huh interesting, it's very closely linked with the dhoti don't you think? Sounds like Bhamanvaad to me.

20 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Running around in skirts on the battlefield is cumbersome. Our history shows our women dressed differently from muslim and hindu women because of our need to be able to defend our own honour. and to Not do display of our bodies to entice kaam in others. We are not expected to be the playthings of men butvalued as people in our own right , with responsibility forourown lives and actiins , Do you honestly think Guru ki maatavan and bhaina were dressed like hindus in solaan shingar? Our job is to dress well but not to keep our focus on our bodies but our souls.

Yeah because I'm sure you sit around all day battle-ready lol. Anyway, okay please do tell....what did Sikh women wear?

Who said anything about displaying bodies for the purposes of kaam or being playthings of men? Calm down with the dramatics. The OP clearly said she doesn't tie a sari which shows any part of her body. In any case, it's only your delusion which makes you imply that the singular purpose of a saari is kaam. A saari can be just as modest as....wait you haven't actually made a clear contrasting argument with regards to any garment have you, odd. Wonder what exactly you're referring to? Punjabi suit? Ghagra? Are these exclusive Sikh garments? Are these the ones Sikh women wore to stand out from the masses as you say?

As usual nothing but hyperbole from you, now mixing in western feminism. Your tactic of trying to make things sound scandalous to appeal to peoples moral sensitivities is laughable.

20 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

most sarees rely on tight revealing blouses, with plunging necklines , A sikh woman would not be comfortable with skmilar cuts on their kameez for a reason becauseit is not the type of modesty level required to go in front of Guru Sahiban . BTW I'm a woman too .

No they don't lol. Many kameez are tight too which is exactly why women wear their chunni or hazooria in a particular fashion.

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

 

Gurbar Akaal!

Edited by MrDoaba

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Jesus Christ, you really have some serious mental issues. I'm actually at a loss for words because of your sheer idiocy and ineptitude regarding Dharmik ithiaas. If that - and I mean the fact you have taken a Dharmik story and derived one of the most ridiculous messages from it....."don't wear a saari because Draupadi DUH" - is the level your buddhi works at then I'm wondering if you're putting something other than karele up your jagsaw. Maharaaj samatt bakshan.

Again I repeat if saaris are the clothing of Brahmins then why do non-Brahmin women wear it? I urge you to take a trip to Hazoor Sahib and try to lecture one of the women there, actually I dare you. Say to them what you have typed here and see what kinda uttar you get. ਬਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਛਾਪਾ ਦਿਖਾਈਂ......

If, as you say, "saaris and dhotis are dictated by their scriptures" is your reasoning why we shouldn't wear them (which personally I think is a bogus claim and is something else you have a tendency to do; make baseless claims, you should show us evidence of this claim btw), then why don't you read in my last post where I stated that wearing a turban is considered Sunnah in Islam. Do you know what sunnah means? "Sunnah means the way of the prophet". So, I ask, shall we stop wearing turbans too?

Didn't you say some of your male relatives wore a chaadra? Huh interesting, it's very closely linked with the dhoti don't you think? Sounds like Bhamanvaad to me.

Yeah because I'm sure you sit around all day battle-ready lol. Anyway, okay please do tell....what did Sikh women wear?

Who said anything about displaying bodies for the purposes of kaam or being playthings of men? Calm down with the dramatics. The OP clearly said she doesn't tie a sari which shows any part of her body. In any case, it's only your delusion which makes you imply that the singular purpose of a saari is kaam. A saari can be just as modest as....wait you haven't actually made a clear contrasting argument with regards to any garment have you, odd. Wonder what exactly you're referring to? Punjabi suit? Ghagra? Are these exclusive Sikh garments? Are these the ones Sikh women wore to stand out from the masses as you say?

As usual nothing but hyperbole from you, now mixing in western feminism. Your tactic of trying to make things sound scandalous to appeal to peoples moral sensitivities is laughable.

No they don't lol. Many kameez are tight too which is exactly why women wear their chunni or hazooria in a particular fashion.

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

 

Gurbar Akaal!

Vaheguru ji ga Khalsa Vehguru ji ki fateh!

Veerji, how are you?

It is so nice to "see" you and your salotar again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest Singh
10 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

Hi person. Your entire post was painful to read because of the kind of condescending language you used. It was spewing so much hatred and negativity. If you think you have a valid point, good, you should RESPOND TO THE OTHER PERSON WITH RESPECT. It's my request to you.

Btw it's very odd to see a Sikh defending the saree with so much heart. Hmm..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Guest Kaur
13 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Jesus Christ, you really have some serious mental issues. I'm actually at a loss for words because of your sheer idiocy and ineptitude regarding Dharmik ithiaas. If that - and I mean the fact you have taken a Dharmik story and derived one of the most ridiculous messages from it....."don't wear a saari because Draupadi DUH" - is the level your buddhi works at then I'm wondering if you're putting something other than karele up your jagsaw. Maharaaj samatt bakshan.

Again I repeat if saaris are the clothing of Brahmins then why do non-Brahmin women wear it? I urge you to take a trip to Hazoor Sahib and try to lecture one of the women there, actually I dare you. Say to them what you have typed here and see what kinda uttar you get. ਬਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਛਾਪਾ ਦਿਖਾਈਂ......

If, as you say, "saaris and dhotis are dictated by their scriptures" is your reasoning why we shouldn't wear them (which personally I think is a bogus claim and is something else you have a tendency to do; make baseless claims, you should show us evidence of this claim btw), then why don't you read in my last post where I stated that wearing a turban is considered Sunnah in Islam. Do you know what sunnah means? "Sunnah means the way of the prophet". So, I ask, shall we stop wearing turbans too?

Didn't you say some of your male relatives wore a chaadra? Huh interesting, it's very closely linked with the dhoti don't you think? Sounds like Bhamanvaad to me.

Yeah because I'm sure you sit around all day battle-ready lol. Anyway, okay please do tell....what did Sikh women wear?

Who said anything about displaying bodies for the purposes of kaam or being playthings of men? Calm down with the dramatics. The OP clearly said she doesn't tie a sari which shows any part of her body. In any case, it's only your delusion which makes you imply that the singular purpose of a saari is kaam. A saari can be just as modest as....wait you haven't actually made a clear contrasting argument with regards to any garment have you, odd. Wonder what exactly you're referring to? Punjabi suit? Ghagra? Are these exclusive Sikh garments? Are these the ones Sikh women wore to stand out from the masses as you say?

As usual nothing but hyperbole from you, now mixing in western feminism. Your tactic of trying to make things sound scandalous to appeal to peoples moral sensitivities is laughable.

No they don't lol. Many kameez are tight too which is exactly why women wear their chunni or hazooria in a particular fashion.

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

 

Gurbar Akaal!

Absolutely spot on BhaiJi!! I don’t get what the biggie is with not wearing a sari when so many of our Sikh women wear them in Nanded to be exact. 

jkvlondon people like you give it large but have no sustenance in your argument. You sound exactly like that Singh who approached me dictating a load of crap but had nothing to back it up. Maybe you should try wearing a sari and let me know how you feel! If you need any tips on how to tie please do not hesitate to ask, I’ll ensure you’re covered well enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



  • Topics

  • Posts

    • YES! valid points. Life is a thing which can pull people into good / bad stuff. Religion, friends, fam and society can be factors. I too went down a "Make a quick buck" routine a few years back as I considered myself in a "Hard" life. Of course no one was hurt, injured or robbed in the process.
    • Iv listened to it before  I think it's real     he starts reciting the Quran as well 
    • @mods I'm not sure if this violates the forum rules. Please feel free to remove/alter if required. This is not a promotional post and I'm not affiliated with stack exchange. I've just submitted a proposal to them. Satsriakal people! I've created a proposal at stack exchange( the largest question/answer website on the web, similar to quora) to start a sub site devoted to Sikhism where people can post questions and receive answers from others. I request everyone to please follow the site to keep it active so that it can be pushed to the next stage(beta)and isn't deleted.
      Please click "follow" at the below link: https://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/122932/sikhism Once the number of followers meet the minimum criteria, there will be a sub section on stack exchange devoted only to Sikhism, which I think will be a great thing. Let's give our best to make this proposal count. Since this is a new proposal, it also lacks sample questions. Please feel free to upvote the existing questions or add new ones related to Sikhism.
    • shes from a different community n anotha part of town. abt 15 yrs younger than the female elder as well. so y wud she be keepin their company? seems like she was either abandoned by her own for wateva reason n lost her way. maybe livin rough n desperate before bein targeted. or she knew the place well as a worker or regular customer n wanted a piece of the prize from wat wudve seemed a simple 'transaction'?
    • Sidh Gohst is a Sikh Prayer... (i hope u weren't being sarcastic)? Prayer came about when Guru Nanak Ji had an assembly (gohst) with Sidhs, hence the name Sidh Gohst. The prayer is like a Q&A session where Sidhs ask n Guru Ji answers... NOW! Who been telling me to stick t learning about Sidh Gohst?? 😔
×

Important Information

Terms of Use