Wearing a Sari

Guest Guest Kaur

20 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

Frankly speaking, what makes you stand out from the crowd if you dress like Draupadi ? We all know how quick it was for her to be unable to fight because her covering was being ripped from her body. A sikh woman should be able to be identifiable as Guru Gobind Singh ji's DAUGHTER in a crowd of millions . Dressing like the masses will not achieve that, we are not meant to wear the clothing of the brahmins , no dhoti or sareeas theseare dictated by their scriptures.

Jesus Christ, you really have some serious mental issues. I'm actually at a loss for words because of your sheer idiocy and ineptitude regarding Dharmik ithiaas. If that - and I mean the fact you have taken a Dharmik story and derived one of the most ridiculous messages from it....."don't wear a saari because Draupadi DUH" - is the level your buddhi works at then I'm wondering if you're putting something other than karele up your jagsaw. Maharaaj samatt bakshan.

Again I repeat if saaris are the clothing of Brahmins then why do non-Brahmin women wear it? I urge you to take a trip to Hazoor Sahib and try to lecture one of the women there, actually I dare you. Say to them what you have typed here and see what kinda uttar you get. ਬਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਛਾਪਾ ਦਿਖਾਈਂ......

If, as you say, "saaris and dhotis are dictated by their scriptures" is your reasoning why we shouldn't wear them (which personally I think is a bogus claim and is something else you have a tendency to do; make baseless claims, you should show us evidence of this claim btw), then why don't you read in my last post where I stated that wearing a turban is considered Sunnah in Islam. Do you know what sunnah means? "Sunnah means the way of the prophet". So, I ask, shall we stop wearing turbans too?

Didn't you say some of your male relatives wore a chaadra? Huh interesting, it's very closely linked with the dhoti don't you think? Sounds like Bhamanvaad to me.

Running around in skirts on the battlefield is cumbersome. Our history shows our women dressed differently from muslim and hindu women because of our need to be able to defend our own honour. and to Not do display of our bodies to entice kaam in others. We are not expected to be the playthings of men butvalued as people in our own right , with responsibility forourown lives and actiins , Do you honestly think Guru ki maatavan and bhaina were dressed like hindus in solaan shingar? Our job is to dress well but not to keep our focus on our bodies but our souls.

Yeah because I'm sure you sit around all day battle-ready lol. Anyway, okay please do tell....what did Sikh women wear?

Who said anything about displaying bodies for the purposes of kaam or being playthings of men? Calm down with the dramatics. The OP clearly said she doesn't tie a sari which shows any part of her body. In any case, it's only your delusion which makes you imply that the singular purpose of a saari is kaam. A saari can be just as modest as....wait you haven't actually made a clear contrasting argument with regards to any garment have you, odd. Wonder what exactly you're referring to? Punjabi suit? Ghagra? Are these exclusive Sikh garments? Are these the ones Sikh women wore to stand out from the masses as you say?

As usual nothing but hyperbole from you, now mixing in western feminism. Your tactic of trying to make things sound scandalous to appeal to peoples moral sensitivities is laughable.

most sarees rely on tight revealing blouses, with plunging necklines , A sikh woman would not be comfortable with skmilar cuts on their kameez for a reason becauseit is not the type of modesty level required to go in front of Guru Sahiban . BTW I'm a woman too .

No they don't lol. Many kameez are tight too which is exactly why women wear their chunni or hazooria in a particular fashion.

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

Gurbar Akaal!

3 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Jesus Christ, you really have some serious mental issues. I'm actually at a loss for words because of your sheer idiocy and ineptitude regarding Dharmik ithiaas. If that - and I mean the fact you have taken a Dharmik story and derived one of the most ridiculous messages from it....."don't wear a saari because Draupadi DUH" - is the level your buddhi works at then I'm wondering if you're putting something other than karele up your jagsaw. Maharaaj samatt bakshan.

Again I repeat if saaris are the clothing of Brahmins then why do non-Brahmin women wear it? I urge you to take a trip to Hazoor Sahib and try to lecture one of the women there, actually I dare you. Say to them what you have typed here and see what kinda uttar you get. ਬਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਛਾਪਾ ਦਿਖਾਈਂ......

If, as you say, "saaris and dhotis are dictated by their scriptures" is your reasoning why we shouldn't wear them (which personally I think is a bogus claim and is something else you have a tendency to do; make baseless claims, you should show us evidence of this claim btw), then why don't you read in my last post where I stated that wearing a turban is considered Sunnah in Islam. Do you know what sunnah means? "Sunnah means the way of the prophet". So, I ask, shall we stop wearing turbans too?

Didn't you say some of your male relatives wore a chaadra? Huh interesting, it's very closely linked with the dhoti don't you think? Sounds like Bhamanvaad to me.

Yeah because I'm sure you sit around all day battle-ready lol. Anyway, okay please do tell....what did Sikh women wear?

Who said anything about displaying bodies for the purposes of kaam or being playthings of men? Calm down with the dramatics. The OP clearly said she doesn't tie a sari which shows any part of her body. In any case, it's only your delusion which makes you imply that the singular purpose of a saari is kaam. A saari can be just as modest as....wait you haven't actually made a clear contrasting argument with regards to any garment have you, odd. Wonder what exactly you're referring to? Punjabi suit? Ghagra? Are these exclusive Sikh garments? Are these the ones Sikh women wore to stand out from the masses as you say?

As usual nothing but hyperbole from you, now mixing in western feminism. Your tactic of trying to make things sound scandalous to appeal to peoples moral sensitivities is laughable.

No they don't lol. Many kameez are tight too which is exactly why women wear their chunni or hazooria in a particular fashion.

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

Gurbar Akaal!

Vaheguru ji ga Khalsa Vehguru ji ki fateh!

Veerji, how are you?

It is so nice to "see" you and your salotar again. 

Guest Guest Singh
10 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Hi person. Your entire post was painful to read because of the kind of condescending language you used. It was spewing so much hatred and negativity. If you think you have a valid point, good, you should RESPOND TO THE OTHER PERSON WITH RESPECT. It's my request to you.

Btw it's very odd to see a Sikh defending the saree with so much heart. Hmm..

Guest Guest Kaur
13 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

Gurbar Akaal!

Absolutely spot on BhaiJi!! I don’t get what the biggie is with not wearing a sari when so many of our Sikh women wear them in Nanded to be exact. 

jkvlondon people like you give it large but have no sustenance in your argument. You sound exactly like that Singh who approached me dictating a load of crap but had nothing to back it up. Maybe you should try wearing a sari and let me know how you feel! If you need any tips on how to tie please do not hesitate to ask, I’ll ensure you’re covered well enough.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, GuestSingh said:

bruv how can it be baseless wen guru ji says wear bana? its a valid point.

imo any amritdhari sikh of the guru should always wear it wen able to since its confirmation of who u r but it seems sum still want the 'best of both worlds'.

anyway if a bibi is attacked on the street then wudnt the chunni be in her face n sari wrapped around her legs n ankles etc?

AH! Yes. You're referring to thiaar bur thiaar Singhnia here. TBH am not tbt myself. If I was I would've learned Shaster Vidiya. So every morning going to work, few men may decide to attack me but I will have a good chance. But if that happened tomorrow??? I'll b flat on my back in 0.5 sec! Why? I haven't learned Shastar Vidiya (or any form of Martial Arts) as according to Guru Sahib, we should!

Guest Charlie Chapathi

I thought lust was a sin in Sikhism? Doesnt wearing a dress displaying your stomach and boobs promote lust?

Lets be honest its a dress which identifies with Hindus and thats a fact. Honestly its a stupid dress. I feel sorry for the Hindu women who are forced to wear it. It looks uncomfortable and not suited for work. 

On 8/3/2019 at 9:21 AM, Guest Guest Kaur said:

Before I took Amrit I used to love to wear Saris to family and work functions. As an Amritdhari now I still wear them, I can’t get enough of them. I attended a friends wedding and wore a sari. A Singh came up to me randomly and said Sikh women shouldn’t wear saris. I asked him why and he said it’s not equipped for battle.This is the first time I’ve heard of this. I told him to mind his own business and told him where to go. I’m not going to battle at a wedding but even so a sari is equipped and easy to manoeuvre in. 

As an Amritdhari I am comfortable wearing a sari and must say they’re comfortable. Before anyone says your lower back and stomach is exposed-that’s not always the case, there’s more than one way to tie a sari. 

I think many things in sikhi are a reccomendation and most wise ppl will follow that reccomendation. 

Sikhs need to learn to stop policing other sikhs esp on things that are not mandatory. 

My opinion about your sari:

Its only smart to do extracurricular activities when ones main activities are done well. Learning another cultures language when u dont know ur own is foolish. But if u know ur own, its very good to learn other ones. I have learned to read hindi, even though my pare ts thought it was a waste of time. But it would be stupid for a sikh to learn hindi if they were not fluent in panjabi. 

Same way, if you are fluent/totally comfortable with ur own panjabi clothing, is it smart for you to move onto another cultures clothing. Heres why:

1. There is such a thing as cultural appropriation.

2. In this world of globalization, many cultures are disappearing. So we must do our best to preservr cultures. And its common sense to preserve one own before lesrning clothes, language of another. Since most ppl wear western clothing at work, weddings are one of few places to wear cultural clothing and so preserve it. And so each time u r making a choice on what to save and continue on for prosterity. And u r showing that u dont prefer ur own cultural clothing so it must be lacking.

3. Your children are likely to get confused about what is sikh identity. They will have a mix of identities unless you clearly show which parts are from different cultures. Also then they will ask, then why are we doing things from other cultures

4. By wearing something, u r showing solidierty to what it symbolizes. And for some sikhs, a sari symbolizes terrible things like indira gandhi, the panjabi suba movement, panjab turning into haryana, the replacement of panjabi by hindi in all private schools and cities and panjabi being seen as rural backwards. Im not condemning u, but saying that u should view things from other sikhs point of view.

5. Sari or makeup or any too feminizing thing sort of looks bizaare with a distaar. Unless u wear a colorful, very african style turban that has ur joora way in the back of ur head. My opinion ofc. 

My reccomendation would be for u to not stop wearing the sari, but

1. Make sure u learn everything about ur own cultural clothing. Like lehnga, ghagra, salwaar, pajami, chola Many different types. Maybe even learn to sew

2. Make sure u r decent and not showing skin in a sari so that

3. If anyone approaches u to condemn for ur sari, u can politely and humerously say i understand ur concern, but i am experimenting with all cultural clothing. I already have tried or know about lehnga ..panjabi clothibg. And there is nothing wrong with trying out different clothes. I mean we wear pant shirts all day. If they say its not battle ready. Say, yes it is if im going as a spy. You know our current enemy is the indian state. And we must know all abt tbem to infiltrate them. 

ALSO, please be nice to people who tell you off for wearing a sari. They have legitimate concerns and its not easy confronting strangers. As sikhs we must learn not to police each other, but also we must also learn not to be offended too easily and not speak too harshly. Most situations can be resolved with humor and respect. Lets not lose our ability to take criticism and respect the elderly. Lets not become like gore, with their political correctness, being offended all the time, and the feminazis destroying all culture because of their belief that they have the right to do anything. 

My favorite response woukd be:

If sari is soo anti-sikh i must remove it at once. Help me take it off right now. 

They hastly back off with wide eyes..