Wearing a Sari

Guest Guest Kaur

One question of bibi ji

Whereexactly do you carry your shri sahib

Inside blouse  area ?

Outside blouse but coveredby pala?

Tucked into waistband of petticoat ?

I would have thought that would interfere with its accessibility and ease of use in an emergency , something practical to consider unless you are just wearing a tiny replacement one , which is another whole different issue.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:43 PM, Guest Guest Kaur said:

Absolutely spot on BhaiJi!! I don’t get what the biggie is with not wearing a sari when so many of our Sikh women wear them in Nanded to be exact. 

jkvlondon people like you give it large but have no sustenance in your argument. You sound exactly like that Singh who approached me dictating a load of crap but had nothing to back it up. Maybe you should try wearing a sari and let me know how you feel! If you need any tips on how to tie please do not hesitate to ask, I’ll ensure you’re covered well enough.

You may think you have it sussed but until you are in a situation where you have to defend yourself you wont see the benefit  of wearing a shirt trousers combo rather than a sari. I have , when I was mugged by multiple assailants at night on the way home from work , if I had been wearing a sari the   palla would have been  in the way, and if it had dropped it would have wrapped around me and run the risk of tripping me in the struggle, due to it being attached to the rest of the sari . Thankfully, I could let my dupatta fall and just concentrate on the attackers and prevent myself being beaten .

The point of bana and rehit is to be in the habit of being prepared for that one time when it could make a big difference, ultimately it's your life but then why come here and ask anything if you genuinely didn't want to hear anything different from your own thoughts least of all from a female? Good luck  what ever you choose , and try learning to curb your kadvi words not every out there is as forgiving.

Guest London jwaan
On 8/7/2019 at 5:14 AM, MrDoaba said:

Jesus Christ, you really have some serious mental issues. I'm actually at a loss for words because of your sheer idiocy and ineptitude regarding Dharmik ithiaas. If that - and I mean the fact you have taken a Dharmik story and derived one of the most ridiculous messages from it....."don't wear a saari because Draupadi DUH" - is the level your buddhi works at then I'm wondering if you're putting something other than karele up your jagsaw. Maharaaj samatt bakshan.

Again I repeat if saaris are the clothing of Brahmins then why do non-Brahmin women wear it? I urge you to take a trip to Hazoor Sahib and try to lecture one of the women there, actually I dare you. Say to them what you have typed here and see what kinda uttar you get. ਬਾਦ ਵਿਚ ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤ ਨੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਛਾਪਾ ਦਿਖਾਈਂ......

If, as you say, "saaris and dhotis are dictated by their scriptures" is your reasoning why we shouldn't wear them (which personally I think is a bogus claim and is something else you have a tendency to do; make baseless claims, you should show us evidence of this claim btw), then why don't you read in my last post where I stated that wearing a turban is considered Sunnah in Islam. Do you know what sunnah means? "Sunnah means the way of the prophet". So, I ask, shall we stop wearing turbans too?

Didn't you say some of your male relatives wore a chaadra? Huh interesting, it's very closely linked with the dhoti don't you think? Sounds like Bhamanvaad to me.

Yeah because I'm sure you sit around all day battle-ready lol. Anyway, okay please do tell....what did Sikh women wear?

Who said anything about displaying bodies for the purposes of kaam or being playthings of men? Calm down with the dramatics. The OP clearly said she doesn't tie a sari which shows any part of her body. In any case, it's only your delusion which makes you imply that the singular purpose of a saari is kaam. A saari can be just as modest as....wait you haven't actually made a clear contrasting argument with regards to any garment have you, odd. Wonder what exactly you're referring to? Punjabi suit? Ghagra? Are these exclusive Sikh garments? Are these the ones Sikh women wore to stand out from the masses as you say?

As usual nothing but hyperbole from you, now mixing in western feminism. Your tactic of trying to make things sound scandalous to appeal to peoples moral sensitivities is laughable.

No they don't lol. Many kameez are tight too which is exactly why women wear their chunni or hazooria in a particular fashion.

BTW you're a hysterical woman. Get down off your soap box and give the karela-fuelled rants a rest.

Gurbar Akaal!

Hear hear. If the issue is that sari is brahminic, feel free to wear a niqab, as frankly this is the type of extremism jkv is aspiring to.......

• 7 months later...

Receiving criticism is never a pleasant experience, so I understand that you were not happy about his comment. As a Sikh woman, I must say that I'm quite impressed by this Singh's attitude. It is rare to encounter a man who treats women as their equal. 

Saris usually show a lot of skin, and many people might think that it is indecent. However, he made no such remark. He did not look at you like a woman who was not dressed decently. Instead, he looked at you like a warrior who was not well prepared. I think this man was informing you of your duties towards the Panth, and he wanted you to be better equipped to undertake those duties. I know that you were attending a wedding and not fighting in a battle, but it is a matter of principle. 

Guest daas guest singh

On 8/8/2019 at 7:08 PM, Guest Guest Singh said:

Why don't I see my comment here? Like others' just got updated? ? Is the mod biased?

yes they r they do this to so many of my posts and topics

Sikh women at hazur sahib and sikligar sikh women and countless other sikh communities outside of punjab where sarees,  are you gnna tell them that they can not wear sarees now? It's their culture and they can wear it. You cant tell people from non punjabi sikh backgrounds to stop following their culture.  If you want sikhi to spread then expect diversity.

In some parts of India for a married woman to wear salwar kameej is considered socially not acceptable 

4 hours ago, DailyMail said:

It's part of the long-term agenda by many Panjabi Sikhs to Panjabify Sikhi. 

This could be language, dress, whatever. 

How many of the original Panj Pyare were from Punjab?

Exactly, I can see some of these singhs telling non Punjabi sikh jananis that they shouldn't wear sarees because it's not a sikh dress, then what about their own british amritdhari wives that wear Jean's and t shirts? Is that a sikh dress?  Double standards.

If their aadmis dont have a problem with their women wearing sarees and if it's part of their culture then there is not wrong with it. 

Salwar kameej has got nothing to do with sikhi, it was given to us while the muslims were invading and raping punjabis 

I know a gujrati girl married to a punjabi guy and she went punjab for the first time and she hated it   her in laws were trying to control her, they said they dont like how she dresses and that she dresses like a bhaiya rani. Dumb fvcks .  Poor girl was texting me the whole time telling me stuff and asking me what shes doing wrong.