City Sikhs Network - London

Big_Tera

On 8/5/2019 at 12:27 PM, Big_Tera said:

What are these guys all about? Apart from looking like a smug funny bunch. 

British_Asian_professionals_at_a_networking_event_in_the_City_of_London.jpg

On 8/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, ipledgeblue said:

On 2/25/2021 at 8:11 AM, ChardikalaUK said:

I'm shocked at the level of ignorant comments here. Dildos up their backsides? Kusrey? City people?

First of all the reason they're called City Sikhs is because they work in the City of London, a financial district in Central London, it's got nothing to do with living in cities vs living in villages. 99% of Sikhs in the UK live in urban areas. That really went over the head of many people here.

Do you expect them to look like UFC fighters? 

Puzzled - can you tell me your level of education and what you do for a living?

Proper Bezhti....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64496456

Jasvir Singh: 'I'm a devout Sikh - and married to a man'

• Published
    8 hours ago

Jasvir and Nick on their wedding day Image caption,

Jasvir and Nick on their wedding day
By Aleem Maqbool
Religion editor, BBC News

Jasvir Singh is one of the most prominent Sikh voices in British public life. He is also gay - a fact that he has kept mostly private until now. It's put him at odds with some members of his own community, but he says he now wants to speak up about his sexuality.

Jasvir Singh lays out some photographs on the table in front of him and takes a deep breath. They are pictures of joyful moments from the day last summer when he married his husband, Nick.

"I know that speaking about this is going to be highly controversial," he says. "I'm sure there will be lots of people out there who will be upset, annoyed, even angry at me.

"But I've got nothing to hide and I know that I have got Waheguru [God] with me, as I have had Waheguru with me all the way."

Jasvir is a family law barrister and the main Sikh contributor to Radio 4's Thought For The Day. He has just been awarded a CBE for his work bringing faith communities together and advocating for vulnerable groups.

But through it all, he has lived with a swirl of speculation about his private life - often spilling over into attempts at intimidation - that he now wants to address head-on.

"There is a very small element of the British Sikh community that makes itself loudly heard. From them I have received death threats for being gay, I have been accused on a TV station of being an infidel and I have even had individuals call me up and threaten to expose me."

Though Jasvir says he has not tried to hide his sexual orientation, it is not something he has talked about publicly.

Recently, however, Jasvir says he has been confronted by an unsurmountable obstacle that meant he could not live out his faith in the way in which he wanted and in the way others can.

"My husband is white, British, and was not born into a Sikh family. But he understands my Sikhi (Sikhism) and he has respected and embraced that part of my life. We have said we want to have a family and want to bring our children up Sikh.

"We spoke about the kind of wedding we wanted in great detail, but sadly there was no way of getting married in a gurdwara, even though in my interpretation of the Anand Karaj (the Sikh marriage ceremony), there is no reason for this."

Jasvir and Nick have just returned from their honeymoon, during which they visited gurdwaras in Punjab and in other parts of India.

On 2/7/2023 at 5:09 AM, californiasardar1 said:

"I'm a devout Sikh -- and married to a man."

What an absurd statement.

I'm glad that Jasvir Singh has a trimmed beard, as it helps make it obvious how inaccurate his claim of being a "devout Sikh" is for people who may not know that same sex marriage is not compatible with a gurmat lifestyle.

The funny thing is, just observing the organization from its online presence, I would have guessed that it was created primarily to help guys like Jasvir Singh and Param Singh (remember how he appeared on a dating game show?) meet women. How wrong I was.

I actually went to one of their early events at Ramgharia Hall Southall Broadway, and exchanging numbers with girls wasn't allowed. Only handing out business cards was allowed.

4 hours ago, californiasardar1 said:

Is that a Gurdwara?

I think it was just a hall, I don't think it was/is a gurdwara. I am unsure if the building is still there or has been bought by someone else...

actually still seems to be there, I just never notice it in Southall recently. It seemed to have been newly refurbished when I went to the city sikhs event.

Ramgarhia Hall - Gurdwara Ramgarhia Sabha

031.j.Ramgarhia Hall
3 hours ago, Premi5 said:

Was exchanging numbers with guys allowed though …

😂

Someone else who attended actually thought that Param Singh is a khusra....! 
To me he just seems nutrient deficient, like Rishi Sunak!

2 hours ago, ipledgeblue said:

I think it was just a hall, I don't think it was/is a gurdwara. I am unsure if the building is still there or has been bought by someone else...

actually still seems to be there, I just never notice it in Southall recently. It seemed to have been newly refurbished when I went to the city sikhs event.

Ramgarhia Hall - Gurdwara Ramgarhia Sabha

031.j.Ramgarhia Hall

😂

Someone else who attended actually thought that Param Singh is a khusra....! 
To me he just seems nutrient deficient, like Rishi Sunak!

I thought he might have been a vegan?