Fasting

Guest CarrotCake123

Guest CarrotCake123

My bibi got a letter saying that 12 hours prior to her hospital appointment at Ealing Hospital she has to fast.

I know Sikhs are not allowed to fast so I was abit confused, is fasting allowed for these occasions or no?

2 hours ago, Guest CarrotCake123 said:

My bibi got a letter saying that 12 hours prior to her hospital appointment at Ealing Hospital she has to fast.

I know Sikhs are not allowed to fast so I was abit confused, is fasting allowed for these occasions or no?

There's no problem at all. Did the letter say to not eat or to "fast"?

If you have to not eat, for whatever legitimate reason, that's not  a problem.

The problem would be if you were "fasting" on a religious basis, like showing off how "pure" you are, like some Hindus and Muslims do. We're not supposed to do that.

This is not fasting. Its common medical practice, for certain treatments or tests the doctor requires you to have empty stomach.

fasting is something different like our Muslim brothers and sisters observe for ramadan

Fasting for health or weight issues is fine. Fasting in order to believe it provides spiritual benefit is pointless. 

Besides, if she doesn’t fast prior to surgery, there is a risk the stomach contents will end up in the throat and cause your bibiji to choke and possibly die. Remember she is likely being anaesthetised and would be unable to protect her own airway.