Did my amritvela count this morning?

Guest Amritvela

Guest Amritvela

I’ve started to wake up at amritvela again with maharajs Kirpa, it’s been almost a month now and I’ve added extra bani to my nitnem as my Panj baniyan are fluent now. 

I normally get up at 2:30 or 3 and then go back to sleep at around 5:30, however as someone was going to come round the house yesterday morning  at around 8am I had to get up at around 7:30 instead of getting up at my normal time around 10:30. This made me incredibly tired as I only had 3 hours sleep prior to amritvela. 

This meant that when my alarm went off this morning at 2:30 I was so tired that I just couldn’t get up. I was about to go back to sleep but then I just picked up my phone and started my nitnem. 

As I didn’t even have a shower or wash my face, does this count? Feel really guilty 

This is called life. Things won’t always be perfect. The ideal scenarios won’t always play out, where we wake up do ishnaan and start nitnem. Sounds like you did the best you could do(being very tired), you still got the nitnem done. You’re already ahead of so many people who don’t use amrit vela. 

Guest GuestSingh

449228891_Screenshot_20190902-1553192.png.e7c4c27f375ffa17474fbb94cbd66e90.png

ask guruji for forgiveness then learn from it.

we must always treat gurbani the same regardless of medium.

cleanin the phone, never puttin it on the floor, takin full shower before touchin n readin from it etc is the protocol for gurbani n any gurmukhi letter on mobile devices. since each one was created n used by maharaaj themselves.

many wont knw or even think abt this n thts an issue. then theres laziness/indifference. but at least ull c wat u can do to not feel guilty again.

On 8/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, Guest Amritvela said:

I’ve started to wake up at amritvela again with maharajs Kirpa, it’s been almost a month now and I’ve added extra bani to my nitnem as my Panj baniyan are fluent now. 

I normally get up at 2:30 or 3 and then go back to sleep at around 5:30, however as someone was going to come round the house yesterday morning  at around 8am I had to get up at around 7:30 instead of getting up at my normal time around 10:30. This made me incredibly tired as I only had 3 hours sleep prior to amritvela. 

This meant that when my alarm went off this morning at 2:30 I was so tired that I just couldn’t get up. I was about to go back to sleep but then I just picked up my phone and started my nitnem. 

As I didn’t even have a shower or wash my face, does this count? Feel really guilty 

From half past midnight to 4am are the most fruitful times for amritvela Naam Jaap.

Do it from half past midnight and experience and reap the rewards for yourself. 

Relax and listen to the ringing noise you may hear (anhaad naad, primal sound). Let go and let the samadhi take you. You can go deep into it. Take what u learn in your samadhi and remain grounded and apply the gyan you experience to your everyday life. 

Begin to walk the path of the bhagat seriously and you will discover the Truth of who you really are.

On 9/2/2019 at 8:45 AM, GuestSingh said:

cleanin the phone, never puttin it on the floor, takin full shower before touchin n readin from it etc is the protocol for gurbani n any gurmukhi letter on mobile devices. since each one was created n used by maharaaj themselves.

many wont knw or even think abt this n thts an issue. then theres laziness/indifference. but at least ull c wat u can do to not feel guilty again.

I disagree completely. This hardcore thinking that we need to shower before touching our phones to read Bani is actually making us read less Bani. If we're always paranoid of "making a mistake" and making things more difficult for us, we're actually causing more anxiety and disturbance to our minds, which is counter productive to living spiritually. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect Bani, but we also shouldn't get carried away and borderline OCD. 

On 9/2/2019 at 8:45 AM, GuestSingh said:

Your last line sums up a problem with so many people practicing Sikhi, especially youth. Are we actually making spiritual progress, or doing whatever it takes to not feel guilty? Its a vicious cycle to get caught in. Living a guilt ridden and anxiety filled life will get a person nowhere, spiritually. 

Guest GuestSingh
5 hours ago, Akal Warrior said:

I disagree completely. This hardcore thinking that we need to shower before touching our phones to read Bani is actually making us read less Bani. If we're always paranoid of "making a mistake" and making things more difficult for us, we're actually causing more anxiety and disturbance to our minds, which is counter productive to living spiritually. I'm not saying we shouldn't respect Bani, but we also shouldn't get carried away and borderline OCD. 

theres nothin paranoid, hardcore, borderline ocd, wateva else u wanna say abt it.

its logical. we wudnt touch a pothi sahib wivout doin the above so y shud it be different for a phone? gurbani is gurbani. how much love, respect n fear do we really have for them?

my info was actually taken from nihung santhiya. they teach a lot of students across the world n they dnt look like they worry abt followin a couple of generally accepted rules tht r simple n easy to put into practice. their main concern is gna be pronouncin gurbani correctly. the lack of shudh ucharan among apne is another issue but thts for another time.

if u contact one of the ustaads there they may give u a better explanation.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:37 AM, GuestSingh said:

theres nothin paranoid, hardcore, borderline ocd, wateva else u wanna say abt it.

its logical. we wudnt touch a pothi sahib wivout doin the above so y shud it be different for a phone? gurbani is gurbani. how much love, respect n fear do we really have for them?

my info was actually taken from nihung santhiya. they teach a lot of students across the world n they dnt look like they worry abt followin a couple of generally accepted rules tht r simple n easy to put into practice. their main concern is gna be pronouncin gurbani correctly. the lack of shudh ucharan among apne is another issue but thts for another time.

if u contact one of the ustaads there they may give u a better explanation.

If that's the case, then would you wrap your phone in a rumalla like you would to a Pothi Sahib? If not, why? Would that be considered "too hardcore"? 

Guest GuestSingh
11 minutes ago, Akal Warrior said:

If that's the case, then would you wrap your phone in a rumalla like you would to a Pothi Sahib? If not, why? Would that be considered "too hardcore"?

thts actually not a bad idea.

one phone for personal/work use n another thts very basic n cheap for gurbani/sikhi n wrapped in a rumalla wud be the best way to go imo. no accidental dirty hands then. but then most apne work in sedantry office type jobs so they wudnt need to worry abt accidentally droppin/breakin/losin it either unlike fast movin jobs e.g. construction work. a bit of awareness n thought n its actually possible.

obvious problems r the 'incovenience' of washing hands or keepin em clean before usin the phone. or carryin two phones all the time if work requires it. n then if we think abt how it was put together by cheap manual labour n child exploitation in africa for materials then theres always gna be a lack of hygiene/spiritual thought/compassion within the phone.

anyway my point is we shud try to keep this bachan of guru sahib in mind n resist laziness. cuz keepin a rumalla on our phone aint hardcore but not impossible either.