I like the usage of Sanskrit words used in Jaap Sahib.

This ancient language from India would have disappeared from earth.

Sanskrit was spoken by the Brahmins (priestly caste).

Now Hindi has taken over.

There is Sanskrit Saloks in Guru Granth Sahib.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Yh I wonder why brahmins gave up sanskrit and started speaking other regional languages.    

I'm all for reviving old languages  as long as they don't force them onto people who don't want to learn it

Punjabi has its roots in sanskrit. 

Early punjabi was adopted by the nath yogis and they used it to write spiritual poetry,  soon after that the sufis adopted punjabi.   

I wonder if the punjabi poems written by the early nath yogis still exist? 

I know that there are some jain manuscripts written in early punjabi that are preserved.  

sanskrit is only used for prayer as it is considered by brahmins as the language of the gods, in fact they would not teach to anyone who was not born  a brahmin . the fact that anyone of lower castes cannot hear sanskrit or read it means the brahmins had to speak in a 'lower' language for practicalities , for other castes they had to express themselves in 'manmade' languages for all their spiritual needs... Punjabi is so much richer and expressive because of this, a boli borne of the soil and the soul of Punjab

On 9/12/2019 at 7:36 PM, Dsinghdp said:

I like the usage of Sanskrit words used in Jaap Sahib.

This ancient language from India would have disappeared from earth.

Sanskrit was spoken by the Brahmins (priestly caste).

Now Hindi has taken over.

There is Sanskrit Saloks in Guru Granth Sahib.

The roots of words in Japji Sahib aren't just Sanskrit, there are Persian and Arab ones too. 

3 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

The roots of words in Japji Sahib aren't just Sanskrit, there are Persian and Arab ones too. 

I like the Quranic Arabic.

2 minutes ago, Dsinghdp said:

I like the Quranic Arabic.

I was always baffled by the pronunciation of 'saboon' (soap) in Japji Sahib (compared to modern sabun) then I learnt about the etymology of the word.