Why do Sikhs use family names?

Big_Tera

We were instructed by Guru Gobind Singh Ji to only use Singh and Kaur. Yet about 70% of Sikhs still use their family names. 

As someone who has always had Singh in my name I find it odd that people still cling onto their family name like some kind of badge of honour and false pride. Wherever I go people  instantly know what faith I am by my surname and even respect me more when they see my surname as SINGH they know I have ditched any kind of castists backward name. That is the response I have got from many non sikhs. Who admire that name. Which is probably the best and well known name there is in India and abroad. Not some silly name like channa or bedi ect.  

Yet people still love to flaunt their caste names on twitter and facebook. 

Singh and Kaur is meant to create unity in the panth. Yet people would rather have some silly names that dont mean jack. 

Why do people have no pride in Singh or Kaur? having your silly pendu name just creates division. 

Having a surname can help differentiate individuals. Look at how many bhai sahibs are introduced or named as bhai [forename] singh [location] wale. Even though there’s no surname, a location has to be added to avoid confusion and differentiate from others with the same name. 

On the other hand, look at the many singhs and kaurs on instagram who have no other surname but openly flaunt their anti-Sikh behaviour. I would much rather they didn’t keep Singh/Kaur. It should be a name bestowed when one has taken Khande de Pahul, not used because one grew up in a Sikh family or “identify” as a Sikh. 

Yh  I think historically people took singh when they took amrit   the rest kept their family names and that's how its continued to this day.

Growing up i identified with my family name more because i wasn't religious or interested so I never really identified with singh    maybe that's the case with other people too  

10 hours ago, puzzled said:

Yh  I think historically people took singh when they took amrit   the rest kept their family names and that's how its continued to this day.

Growing up i identified with my family name more because i wasn't religious or interested so I never really identified with singh    maybe that's the case with other people too  

That is a pretty feeble and strange excuse. 

I know many Sikhs who are not Amritdhari but have the name Singh or Kaur as their only last name. Are you saying these people and thousands more should go back to having their family name instead of Singh or Kaur as they are not Amritdhari?

Having Singh or Kaur actually promotes the faith in many ways instead of a family name like sidhu or bedi. I find people also respect Singh and Kaur more then family names. I always feels proud when I am called Mr Singh. 

Seems like your still hung up on caste and more proud of that instead of taking up the name .

Look at some people who have made Singh and Sikhs ell known

Manmohan Singh

Vijay Singh

Having Singh shows unity and being proud of our unique identity and allegence to the Gurus.

You dodnt need to be baptised to have singh as your name thousands use it without it. 

When I see sikhs with silly caste names it really degrades our identity. 

15 hours ago, GuestSingh said:

also theres the chance that no person in that family has ever taken amrit.

so theres no need to call urself a singh/kaur.

Thousands use the name singh and kaur without being baptised. Not sure with this notion has come from that you need to be baptised. 

17 hours ago, Wicked Warrior said:

Having a surname can help differentiate individuals. Look at how many bhai sahibs are introduced or named as bhai [forename] singh [location] wale. Even though there’s no surname, a location has to be added to avoid confusion and differentiate from others with the same name. 

On the other hand, look at the many singhs and kaurs on instagram who have no other surname but openly flaunt their anti-Sikh behaviour. I would much rather they didn’t keep Singh/Kaur. It should be a name bestowed when one has taken Khande de Pahul, not used because one grew up in a Sikh family or “identify” as a Sikh. 

Using family names only promotes caste nonsence. That is why Gurus gave us a singular name for all to use to eradicate this. So many people have complimented me for my surename over the years and instantly know I m Sikh because of it. There is no better pleasure then that my friend. 

It means lion. Not sure what your family name means but it cant be better then the great name Singh or Kaur. 

1 hour ago, Redoptics said:

It's the only way you know not to get jiggy with people in your blood line.

Yuk lol  never thought of that   imagine getting married to a kaur and then you realize she the same name as you lol  

In Punjab people don't even get their daughters married off into the neighbouring pinds let alone the same pind lol