Advice on keeping kesh for the first time

Guest Rav

I am in my mid 30s and married with 2 boys (aged 7 and 4). Myself, my wife and our kids  cut our hair (I have always been a monah). I have got into sikhi in the last couple of years and am at a stage where I would like to stop cutting my hair and wearing a turban. My wife is supportive. When I discuss with my 7 year old he says he doesn’t want to wear a turban. I know it’s wrong to force anyone to do anything and it wouldn’t feel right to me to do that anyway. Please can anyone give some suggestions on how to approach this? Thanks in advance 

As you develop further into Sikhi, bring your family into it too. Explain what you’re doing and why. I agree about Sakhis. Children can be very rebellious if you try and force them to do something. It’s better if it comes from within to keep their kesh. But they can be very understanding so teach them about Sikhi. Inspire them. 

Guest Khalsa Raj

The more one gets into Sikhi the more asar or affect your words have, they have greater meaning as you say them with conviction and they carry greater weight. When you speak to your wife and children with the love instilled in you first through Shabad Guru and looking at your jeevan it will no doubt impact them for the better.

Keeping Kesh is not a big step at all, we worry more about others think, they get used to the new look really quick and we are not sent here to please others as much as Guru Ji.

Guest GuestSingh

from personal experience, parents can make the mistake of thinkin one size fits all. we all have our own minds n personalities. so wat might work for one may not for the other.

we also live in age where kids attention span is almost hopeless. one of the best ways to approach it from the start imo is to teach em abt their faith/heritage thru visual entertainment i.e. bhai taru singh ji film, chaar sahibzaade etc. theyre not perfect but kids r impressionable. we all take hints in different ways.

n the aim is to attract em to sikhi thru as many positive yet subtle influences i.e. playin kirtan/bani 24/7 in the house n doin veechar if asked abt a particular shabad, ur wife complimentin u on ur new appearance in front of em, start/increase trainin to improve size n strength givin em a positive role model in the household in addition to the warriors/freedom fighters from history etc.