Z in Punjabi

Dsinghd

On 10/3/2019 at 10:17 PM, MrDoaba said:

It's very important to know how to pronounce zazza (and where and which Bani's), but I have heard many people who don't have shudh uchaaran decide to put it where they think it goes, where it most definitely does not. For example:

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜ਼ਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥

ਰਾਗੁ ਗੂਰੀ

Not only is this irritating but it's also wrong. Santhiya is jaroori; don't make up your own rules.

Your first example is correct. It means ਰਜ਼ਾ, hukam de razza vich chalna. While it isn't needed as the meaning still stands, but it's nice to use the original pronunciation of the word.

Second example is odd, there is santhiya that teaches where to pronounce pair bindi and not to.

For example in Jaap Sahib:

ਨਮੋ ਰਾਜਸੰ ਤਾਮਸੰ ਸ਼ਾਤ ਰੂਪੇ ॥

This is wrong, because it a reference to Rajo, Tamo, and Sato gun, correct pronunciation is: ਸਾਤ. (Notice there is no Bindi on Kanna Either)

But later on in the Chand, we have:

ਨਮੋ ਕਲਹ ਕਰਤਾ ਨਮੋ ਸ਼ਾਂਤ ਰੂਪੇ ॥

This is correct, because it refers to ਸ਼ਾਂਤੀ (Peace).

I am a firm believer to have correct Arth you need Santhyia, if you do wrong ucharan you are unknowingly (or some are knowingly) changing arths.

I'll admit my bias is more toward Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh's book Gurbani Lagamatra di Vilakhanta and Bhai Joginder Singh Ji's Shudh Uchaaran book (who researched Sampardaiye and Modern missionary pronunciation and spent decades doing Khoj on puratan birhs.)

Their work is book form, hopefully it can taught as well.

4 minutes ago, FreshMind13 said:

Your first example is correct. It means ਰਜ਼ਾ, hukam de razza vich chalna. While it isn't needed as the meaning still stands, but it's nice to use the original pronunciation of the word.

Yes, the root word may use a 'z' sound, but the Gurmukhi does not. Therefore it is incorrect to pronounce it as such.

15 minutes ago, FreshMind13 said:

ਸਾਤ. (Notice there is no Bindi on Kanna Either)

I've only ever seen it with kanna-bindi.

But there is some variation in Sri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji Saroops - Hazoori pronunciation is also different. Personally I will stick with Sant Gyani Mohan SIngh Ji's (Bhindrawale) Gutka on the matter.

I've made reasonably clear that I believe Taksals Santhiya is correct. If you have some other system then tuhadi marji.

4 minutes ago, MrDoaba said:

Personally I will stick with Sant 've made reasonably clear that I believe Taksals Santhiya is correct. If you have some other system then tuhadi marji.

Which is why I mentioned where I base my knowledge from.

Most ucharan is 95% similar anyway, its just the 5% that is higher/advanced/scholarly level. For the average person starting out, they should learn Muharni and the Lagamatras and not put too much dubdha in their minds.

2 minutes ago, FreshMind13 said:

Which is why I mentioned where I base my knowledge from.

Most ucharan is 95% similar anyway, its just the 5% that is higher level. For the average person starting out, they should learn Muharni and the Lagamatras.

Apologies, I had the page open from before you made the edit.

Yeah most Uchaaran is similar. In one post I said even within Taksal there are differences so I understand what you mean.

Generally speaking though, the only major difference that would arise I suspect is the use of pairi akhars where there are none; Taksal doesn't do this...they tend to read it as is with the exception of adhak.