Doli spectacle

Guest Miss K

How have weddings become a specatcle rather than a nice celebration of anand karaj. Are we lookinig at more and more ways of ridiculing sikhism with our youth. Video of amritadhari male climbing in through the window at the doli - i don't get it. Is this funny

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, Guest Miss K said:

How have weddings become a specatcle rather than a nice celebration of anand karaj. Are we lookinig at more and more ways of ridiculing sikhism with our youth. Video of amritadhari male climbing in through the window at the doli - i don't get it. Is this funny

it is besharami di hudd , you have married your wife in Front of Guru ji not eloped so have no need to sneak into your saurighar like a thief , it is also a beashti of his new Mum and Dad as  he is not respecting their ghar di izzat by creating a spectacle of climbing into the bedroom in front of the extended families, friends, neighbours. The girls outside the house are ridiculosly greedy was there no bazurg to tell them to pack it in , or were they standing there indulging this BS laughing like idiots?

The point is to tease the new bro and perhaps laugh and break tensions of impending doli leaving not score paise  and embarass him and his folks .

It is worse in Canada and India , in India you have people who don't even go to the gurdwara but stay at the 'wedding palaces' there were over 200 guests at my bro's wedding but only twenty went to the gurdwara for the actual Anand Karaj that was over 19 years back so I'm guessing that it is only worse now , hiring dancing girls and people toting guns like losers. Mum went for a Canadian do , and she failed to see any love for Guru ji expressed by anyone it was all about self-image and outdoing the other people for bling.

46 minutes ago, jkvlondon said:

it is besharami di hudd , you have married your wife in Front of Guru ji not eloped so have no need to sneak into your saurighar like a thief , it is also a beashti of his new Mum and Dad as  he is not respecting their ghar di izzat by creating a spectacle of climbing into the bedroom in front of the extended families, friends, neighbours. The girls outside the house are ridiculosly greedy was there no bazurg to tell them to pack it in , or were they standing there indulging this BS laughing like idiots?

The point is to tease the new bro and perhaps laugh and break tensions of impending doli leaving not score paise  and embarass him and his folks .

It is worse in Canada and India , in India you have people who don't even go to the gurdwara but stay at the 'wedding palaces' there were over 200 guests at my bro's wedding but only twenty went to the gurdwara for the actual Anand Karaj that was over 19 years back so I'm guessing that it is only worse now , hiring dancing girls and people toting guns like losers. Mum went for a Canadian do , and she failed to see any love for Guru ji expressed by anyone it was all about self-image and outdoing the other people for bling.

It has come to the point where I think people should have registry marriage and then just go matha tek and have ardas.

At least that way they don't make a mockery of the Anand Karaj. 

I am coming to the conclusion that the Anand Karaj should be for Amritdharis only. 

If the gurdwarae start a lose a bit of their income, then good! 

People objected to this? I suppose on second thoughts it is a little besharam. During Doli time there is often a lot of nonsense, perhaps this one was step too far but I still do not see how this makes a mockery of Anand Kaaraj itself?

On one hand as I said I can see how it may be construed as besharmi. But on the other I would say it's a good thing there isn't such strict formality between soreh - soreh, and kurm - kurm relationship - makes life a lot easier for the girls side who have to often endure bullsh!t from munde wale. Less formal the better I say - and I say this having sisters of my own. Previously I too was all about the sidha saada old school rishta between families.

Although I agree that climbing through an upstairs window maybe wasn't the best expression of less formality lol. Harmless nonetheless. Especially compared to other things we have seen recently and otherwise in the past.

Guest pretentious

u can dress like a king wiv a plume in ur turban but a monkey is still a monkey.

fakes n snakes doin behzti of real sikhs everywhere they go. again.

weak panjabis, shameless panjabis, stupid panjabis

4 hours ago, jkvlondon said:

yh in india they have dancing girls on stage doing suggestive moves with men throwing money over them    this is mughal mujra culture   the very culture our gurus rebelled against and now we are adopting this very culture!   next punjabi weddings will have hookahs/sheesha 

yh canada is just as bad!  my canadian cousin is getting married nxt yr and iv already told my mum im not gnna go   

Real men walk through the front door to take their wife     why is he climbing through the window as if the relationship is a cheap fling    if that was my sisters husband i would make him climb back out of the window (dont care if he breaks his legs)and make him walk through the front door, hopefully without loosing my cool.        its a marriage not a hooker and customer. 

my cousins girlfriend used to sneak in through the backdoor into his room to get layed because they weren't married   

8 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

People objected to this? I suppose on second thoughts it is a little besharam. During Doli time there is often a lot of nonsense, perhaps this one was step too far but I still do not see how this makes a mockery of Anand Kaaraj itself?

On one hand as I said I can see how it may be construed as besharmi. But on the other I would say it's a good thing there isn't such strict formality between soreh - soreh, and kurm - kurm relationship - makes life a lot easier for the girls side who have to often endure bullsh!t from munde wale. Less formal the better I say - and I say this having sisters of my own. Previously I too was all about the sidha saada old school rishta between families.

Although I agree that climbing through an upstairs window maybe wasn't the best expression of less formality lol. Harmless nonetheless. Especially compared to other things we have seen recently and otherwise in the past.

people will ask kurdiwale koi hor  munda nahin labba eh lafunga kiton mileya si ? plus if  there are younger sisters in the house it could create wrong impression in people's mind about how much bad behaviour they as a family will put up with from mundevale just to get their daughters married i.e. put them on the back foot. This is the first time this 'son' is visiting his new parents didn't Guru ji say to respect them as much as possible in fact more than one's own since they are giving you their most treasured child?

There is formality of manners which is actually showing compassion and consideration to others' feelings, we are not meant to spoil another's chances or life through our words and actions that is antigurmat. the guy/girl who tries show up their inlaws is NOT following sikhiya of Guru ji but doing their own manmat to feed their egoes. What is wrong with him standing and negotiating or do as my kid bro did and say 'hold on Mum Dad; I'm coming , look Guys her folks are calling me '... and just shove the few notes he had in his pocket into their hands ...and go in the front door?

would you honestly have been happy if that had happened to your sis , Mum and Dad? If the guy can't show respect to his bride's mother and father in front of their whole family when is he ever going to?

@jkvlondon point taken. I can imagine that tbh. I've already conceded that in hindsight it was a silly thing to do, and I concede again that if I was there actually witnessing it, it most likely would be a different story.

Tbh I have seen some cringe or super cheesy sh!t at Amritdhari Doli's. Though not like this.

There is formality of manners which is actually showing compassion and consideration to others' feelings, we are not meant to spoil another's chances or life through our words and actions that is antigurmat. the guy/girl who tries show up their inlaws is NOT following sikhiya of Guru ji but doing their own manmat to feed their egoes. What is wrong with him standing and negotiating or do as my kid bro did and say 'hold on Mum Dad; I'm coming , look Guys her folks are calling me '... and just shove the few notes he had in his pocket into their hands ...and go in the front door?

There will always remain a formality between them. I was referring particularly to the fake@ss things - the munde wale taking advantage of the girls side which still goes on albeit not as it did in the days of old. Even the seemingly strong minded folks back down when it comes to their kurms highly unreasonable behaviour. All I'm saying is that ik duje naal pyaar naal milna chaida, jidha bhen bharavan naal mili da. No side should act like the others aafsar and should have the right to speak out.

Come to think of it, I was once at a wedding where the munde wale actually literally threw the women at the door out the way and barged in - I was there too because I was a little kid. It was not pleasant and dangerous af. Needless to say we demanded maafi and payment later.

My goodness! It was only a joke. I doubt they actually had relations - everyone was watching. Why not blame the girl in the first place for opening the window to her husband? 

Let's address the real spectacle of the doli- the fact that the woman is treated like an object owned by men to be transferred from her father to her husband. All the ritual crying when modern technology and transport means she'll see her parents all the time after marriage. Not to mention the superstitious rice throwing. 

What does gurbani say about that?