value

Guest jot_singh96.000

To value sikhi you need to live by sikh values and for that you need to be raised with traditional sikh values.

Sikhi is also about love   to have love for sikhi you need to feel something towards it     if you dont have love for sikhi then you won't value it     it comes down to how your parents bring sikhi into your life from a young age.  

I completely agree that it comes down to parents instilling Sikh values into their children. There are apne in their 30s who can’t name all 10 Gurus, the Panj Pyare or the Char Sahibzadi. They are raising children now who are also clueless about Sikhi.

Little effort is done to teach Sikhi in Gurdwaras. Most kids don’t understand Punjabi at all or not at a level to understand what’s being taught in the Gurdwaras. 

Things are slowly changing and I hope improving with modern technology, social media. They are tools to spread Maya but can also be used to spread Guru Ji’s teachings. 

Everything one might need is there in Sikh history. But one needs to have the desire to take a look and learn. 

5 hours ago, Wicked Warrior said:

They are raising children now who are also clueless about Sikhi.

I was once leaving the Gurdwara, was Gurpurab or Baisakhi maybe....anyway, this family was leaving at the same time and I was walking past them. The mother, forgive me for saying, looked typically like a baandri. And her kid, was probably about 7-8, he goes "Mum why don't they give wine here? In Churches they give wine" - in reference to communion, wondering why prasad wasn't like that. His mother told him to be quiet and carry on walking. Now I know kids are inquisitive and ask all manner of questions - and either way I'm not blaming the kid, it's not his fault - but come on man, querying "where da wine at?" in the Gurdwara goes to show how devoid of Sikhi some of these folks are. Not only that but even something as simple as what a Gurdwara is or what it stands for? When people take their kids anywhere else, they tend to explain what it is. For some reason the Gurdwara doesn't count.

I'm no one to suggest who should or shouldn't bother going; even a maha paapi who matha teks in front of Maharaajs wipes much of their karam away but I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't occur to me as to why such people actually do bother going.

1 hour ago, MrDoaba said:

I was once leaving the Gurdwara, was Gurpurab or Baisakhi maybe....anyway, this family was leaving at the same time and I was walking past them. The mother, forgive me for saying, looked typically like a baandri. And her kid, was probably about 7-8, he goes "Mum why don't they give wine here? In Churches they give wine" - in reference to communion, wondering why prasad wasn't like that. His mother told him to be quiet and carry on walking. Now I know kids are inquisitive and ask all manner of questions - and either way I'm not blaming the kid, it's not his fault - but come on man, querying "where da wine at?" in the Gurdwara goes to show how devoid of Sikhi some of these folks are. Not only that but even something as simple as what a Gurdwara is or what it stands for? When people take their kids anywhere else, they tend to explain what it is. For some reason the Gurdwara doesn't count.

I'm no one to suggest who should or shouldn't bother going; even a maha paapi who matha teks in front of Maharaajs wipes much of their karam away but I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't occur to me as to why such people actually do bother going.

the actual fact they got a chance to remember and go is a blessing /kirpa from Akal Purakh from their past good karams , all their current happiness, wealth , health , position is the kamai from past lives which they are frittering away clueless as to the source , in fact some even think it's down to their own efforts in this life ... what a joke . They need to wake up and lock down that kamai and build on top of it .

Hey, my first time on here so hopefully I won’t make too may mistakes.

Having the knowledge that this is all down to Kamai is a great step, rightly so you ‘jkvlondon’ have suggested waking up - as did our 9th Guru (Tegh Bahadur). As in the matrix this is a bitter sweet pill, but one that when fully digested will give us an incomparable power with which to help one another and really build something. From my own experience I can only say that the limitless power of naam simran will really bring us to realise our true selves. The light is not far - it is within.

6 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

"Mum why don't they give wine here? In Churches they give wine"

as shocking as it will sound but  few weeks back i was at the gurdwara reading the hukhamnama and i saw a granny walking past with her grandson who looked around 6 yrs old and as they walked past i heard the boy say "where are my fcking shoes"    i swear down! i was shocked and actually turned around while i was reading the hukhamnama to see who said it. his granny got really embarrassed and saw me looking and kept on saying shhhh to him and he repeated it again a few times.    horrifying!  

all the granny said was shhh     if that was me my mum would have given me the hardest slap in front of everyone 

i actually really appreciate all the slaps i got from my mum as a kid    i really do 

@puzzled Honestly in that situation it's our farj to say something. Nowadays people are overly sensitive but we should still say something...have to remain cool though and say it pyaar de naal.

13 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

@puzzled Honestly in that situation it's our farj to say something. Nowadays people are overly sensitive but we should still say something...have to remain cool though and say it pyaar de naal.

But people get really offended these days   we dont have that in our community anymore when you can tell another person or correct them   these days people turn around and answer back      

On 10/22/2019 at 10:41 PM, puzzled said:

To value sikhi you need to live by sikh values and for that you need to be raised with traditional sikh values.

Sikhi is also about love   to have love for sikhi you need to feel something towards it     if you dont have love for sikhi then you won't value it     it comes down to how your parents bring sikhi into your life from a young age.  

On 10/23/2019 at 8:00 AM, Wicked Warrior said:

I completely agree that it comes down to parents instilling Sikh values into their children. There are apne in their 30s who can’t name all 10 Gurus, the Panj Pyare or the Char Sahibzadi. They are raising children now who are also clueless about Sikhi.

Little effort is done to teach Sikhi in Gurdwaras. Most kids don’t understand Punjabi at all or not at a level to understand what’s being taught in the Gurdwaras. 

Things are slowly changing and I hope improving with modern technology, social media. They are tools to spread Maya but can also be used to spread Guru Ji’s teachings. 

Everything one might need is there in Sikh history. But one needs to have the desire to take a look and learn. 

I know this is common thinking but from what I've seen it isn't as cut and dry as that. Some of the people I've met from really conservative, pillar of the community families who've made serious attempts to educate their kids about Sikhi, have turned out with really spoiled, indifferent worldly children who've lived scandalous secret lives behind their families backs.