Two weeks...

Singh1989

9 minutes ago, Singh1989 said:

Been two weeks and read first 100 verses of Charitrpakyaan. 

It's poetic. It's also interesting and will make one thing "Damn! did women / men really fool the opposite gender like that?" we're talking unbelievable lies, women lying at point blank range and their husbands fall for it, how women used charitrs (mainly words) to get out of sticky situations. And... the husband (mainly kings) fall for it! Makes one think "OH! COME ON! U just caught her in that position- what u mean u believe her?" 

HOWEVER! Grasping this Bani makes one think... are we following in these steps? how many times have we used Charitrs? (lie, deceit and make a flimsy excuse), then who falls for it? we ourselves or the person we told the flimsy? Are we like that one eyed person? where we turnaway from the blindspot?  do we let women close our eyes and let her get away with anything? how many times have we seen a lie / deceit but ignored it at point blank range? How many times have we been traitors and money laundered from our own loved ones?

Some of the verses seem unbelievable to be true. But there are a total of two endings to one who deceits n lies in kaam, krodh, lobh... 1) The person falling for it is foolish. 2) The person dies in the process... and ends in hell (according to the Baani). 

For me this Baani has been moving. Despite its contents the Baani is enjoyable. So is any Baani if done with a full concentration. Do one Japji Sahib with pure concentration the feeling is phenomenal. But the feeling is different; Charitrpakyaan moves me in such a way that I have to think, am I following in the footsteps of these historical people? 

Have you been reading translations?

By the way not all characters are historical. Some of them are adapted from folklore and Indic mythology. 

2 minutes ago, Singh1989 said:

Yes... Left out the masaledaar details though. 

We've been looking at the English and Panjabi translations on SA. I'm glad they are available but I don't think they are all that.  I think hardcore literal translations miss subtle nuances. 

We need Braj Bhasha experts to translate it I reckon. 

7 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

We've been looking at the English and Panjabi translations on SA. I'm glad they are available but I don't think they are all that.  I think hardcore literal translations miss subtle nuances. 

We need Braj Bhasha experts to translate it I reckon. 

IDK as long as u get the gist of what is being translated?? 

I read it a few years ago  but I was a bit immature then lol!  Think I might read it again

The theme is the same really  

I remember the story of ahlya and indra and then the story of the beheaded singh who jahangirs daughter wanted but even in death his head moved back when she reached out to touch it. 

You would be surprised people do all sorts these days    this punjabi guy I used to know, his gf used to tell him to come around to have sex whenever her parents used to be out. When the parents came back she probabaly sat there like a sati savitri.   As for the guy he dumped her and was telling me hes planning to settle down with a innocent girl he knows who has never been around,  guys have their fun and then look for the decent females to marry. 

1 hour ago, Singh1989 said:

IDK as long as u get the gist of what is being translated?? 

37 minutes ago, puzzled said:

I read it a few years ago  but I was a bit immature then lol!  Think I might read it again

The theme is the same really  

I remember the story of ahlya and indra and then the story of the beheaded singh who jahangirs daughter wanted but even in death his head moved back when she reached out to touch it. 

You would be surprised people do all sorts these days    this punjabi guy I used to know, his gf used to tell him to come around to have sex whenever her parents used to be out. When the parents came back she probabaly sat there like a sati savitri.   As for the guy he dumped her and was telling me hes planning to settle down with a innocent girl he knows who has never been around,  guys have their fun and then look for the decent females to marry. 

If you ever get the inclination, pop over to SA and add your insights to the chariter discussions.