How to do paath, where to start?

Guest kaur0810

Guest kaur0810

SSA to all.

Recently ive been wanting to do paath and include it in my daily routine but im not sure where to start? I am a university student and im very depressed, i also cant read or write in the punjabi language which is making it even more difficult for me to do paath. As of right now, i just play the live kirtan from youtube to help relax myself during the day and before bed. I understand that it is important not only to recite paath but to fully understand it too. Can you please help me, where should i start? how often should i do paath? what should i listen to, try reciting and remembering?

Hi,

I recently started learning Punjabi, through Basics of Sikhi youtube channel.

its very easy it just takes a few hours to memorize the letters and vowels.

id start at learning punjabi first then reciting kirtan sohila in punjabi at night as its the shortest prayer.

Start off by listening to japji sahib, go on YouTube and search japji sahib by Bhai Jarnail Singh that’s the shud uchaaran, DON’T JUST LISTEN TO IT, the video has the gurmukhi on the screen and go through each word with Bhai sahib. Look at the screen to remain alert and if you want to at another time read the English translation which is under the gurmukhi script on the same video. But when you want to listen to paath, go through each word with Bhai sahib on the video. 

The optimum and most beneficial time to receive the most fruits from bani is at amritvela 2am to 6am. Start off by getting up a little later such as 5, have a shower and listen to paath, after listen or recite the Ardas, and pray to maharaj from your heart to bless you with the ability to wake up amritvela again. 

GO AND LEARN SANTHIYA at a gurdwara. Don’t  learn Punjabi at a school or something, learn Gurmukhi santhiya from a gurdwara, are you from the uk? I can send you Gurdwaras where Damdami taksal teach santhiya. 

When you feel depressed listen to chaupai sahib, this is a very powerful bani, and it’s only 5-7 mins long. Listen to the bani and remember the words, you’ll soon remember them however you must pay attention to the paath and look at the shabads on screen. Whenever depressed, lonely, low on sikhi or in times of happiness recite this beautiful bani. 

I would suggest to listen to japji sahib and chaupai sahib in the morning. Japji sahib is a long bani for any beginner so don’t feel let down if you can’t listen to all of it, however do an Ardas to maharaj that they give you the strength to complete the paath. Start to listen to the paath with the intention to complete it all. 

Smaller banis to listen to if you can’t listen to japji sahib or banis you can add to once listening to japji sahib (even better):

- Chaupai Sahib

- Shabad Hajaare

- Shabad Hajaare P10

- twai prasaad svaiye (sraavag sudh)

- twai prasaad svaiye (dinan ki pratipal) 

And many more!!! 

The most powerful thing you can do is a Ardas. Either in english or Punjabi pray to maharaj to help you and give protection. 

Dukh Daaru Sukh rogh bheyaa (Pain is a medicine which will ultimately give you peace). You are in pain, but now you are receiving your medicine (bani/naam) and you will ultimately have peace. 

Don’t give up on maharaj, they will never give up on you. 
when you take one step towards guru ji, he will run a thousand steps towards you. The first is listening to bani, then learning bani, then reciting bani daily and ultimately becoming bani (implementing all of the gurus teaching within your life). 

Begin your spiritual journey to guru ji, this is why you were given this human life. 

bhul chuk maafi 

Gurfateh ji.