Jump to content
Big_Tera

Sikh missionary society

Recommended Posts

www.sikhmissionarysociety.org

Just came across this group. Are they doing good at parchaar and what they do. I picked up some leaflets and they are quite good with providing info on Sikhi. 

Not sure about their name though. As Sikhism is not a missionary faith. So sounds a bit stange they would call their group or organisation this. 

 

Edited by Big_Tera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for earlier spelling. Just been using an old phone and keyboard is not working properly. 

Edited by Big_Tera

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

www.sikhmissionarysociety.org

Just came across this group. Are they doing good at parchaar and what they do. I picked up some leaflets and they are quite good with providing info on Sikhi. 

Not sure about their name though. As Sikhism is not a missionary faith. So sounds a bit stange they would call their group or organisation this. 

 

this organisation is a small Uk based group which has been running since I was a little girl 1970s  they are definitely not allied with dusht 'missionary' college in Ludhiana . They have a shop in Southall and used to have main office in Gravesend (not sure if still there) . i think they literally translated parchaarik to missionary and we do , do parchaar. Mum and Dad introduced us to sakhian via their booklets

Edited by jkvlondon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think they produce any new material? The booklets which iv got seem to be from the 80s and 90s     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 3:11 PM, jkvlondon said:

this organisation is a small Uk based group which has been running since I was a little girl 1970s  they are definitely not allied with dusht 'missionary' college in Ludhiana . They have a shop in Southall and used to have main office in Gravesend (not sure if still there) . i think they literally translated parchaarik to missionary and we do , do parchaar. Mum and Dad introduced us to sakhian via their booklets

I forgot the name of the bhaji but the main sewadar of that organization used to share his knowledge here a lot. This is a good organization but seems to be in a dormant stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, S1ngh said:

I forgot the name of the bhaji but the main sewadar of that organization used to share his knowledge here a lot. This is a good organization but seems to be in a dormant stage.

maybe they can do a pair up with youth sewadars such remeber 1984 , BOS,  and add to their brilliant free booklet sewa .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 6:51 AM, Big_Tera said:

 

Not sure about their name though. As Sikhism is not a missionary faith. So sounds a bit stange they would call their group or organisation this. 

Think of it this way: They have a mission and the mission is to tell young Sikhs about their faith.

Does that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2019 at 12:00 PM, puzzled said:

I dont think they produce any new material? The booklets which iv got seem to be from the 80s and 90s     

Yeah, I grew up with their books too, they need to be updated now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BhForce said:

Think of it this way: They have a mission and the mission is to tell young Sikhs about their faith.

Does that make sense?

What about teaching non Sikhs. Also people maybe put off by that name. 

Just as I would be put of by Christian missionary society. 

They should be called Sikh global educational or something like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Big_Tera said:

What about teaching non Sikhs. Also people maybe put off by that name. 

Just as I would be put of by Christian missionary society. 

They should be called Sikh global educational or something like that. 

They would probably benefit enormously from such a 'rebranding' (sorry to use that word but can't think of any better one right now), but you know our 'uncles' are a bit slow on these things. 

Plus, as useful as it was at the time, it's obvious some of their material (for which I am grateful) has been superseded by massive amount of subsequent research that has taken place since their original publication. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use