Class system in Desi people UK

Big_Tera

We all know there is a caste system in Asian people in UK.

But is there also a class system  in Desi people? Ie You get them trashy type desi people with a strong regional accent. Such as Brummie or cockney. That act and speak in a Bengali type accent. In East London and up north. 

I have always thought of myself as middle class. They way I talk is like a typical Oxford graduate or close to it. I also tend to spend more time with other so called 'middle class asians'

Do Asians fall into class categories and what class do you belong to?

6 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

Your presumption about me is wrong. Is mine about you accurate though? 

You can give it the large, but I'm still educated, and I'm deeply rooted in my heritage - even if I don't talk like some poncey tw@t. 

Are you a genteel physical coward? 

Not sure what your on. But I would take less of it if I was you. 

This is the topic about class not for Loonies like you to come on and spew your nonsense. 

Just because I don't talk like a ragga muffin like you. That makes me poncy. You sound like one of those hood rats that despises middle class people as you feel inferior to them. 

Your obviously lower class and can't speak to upper class people like me. 

Lol

2 hours ago, Big_Tera said:

Not sure what your on. But I would take less of it if I was you. 

This is the topic about class not for Loonies like you to come on and spew your nonsense. 

Just because I don't talk like a ragga muffin like you. That makes me poncy. You sound like one of those hood rats that despises middle class people as you feel inferior to them. 

Your obviously lower class and can't speak to upper class people like me. 

Lol

I bet you my English is better than yours, as well as my Panjabi. Just because you talk like you've got Boris Johnson's tuttay in your mouth, doesn't give you any class. lol

And face it, you're a giddarh hiding behind some poncey persona. 

I'm a Postgraduate, so I'm probably more educated than you too. 

Clown. 

10 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

I bet you my English is better than yours, as well as my Panjabi. Just because you talk like you've got Boris Johnson's tuttay in your mouth, doesn't give you any class. lol

And face it, you're a giddarh hiding behind some poncey persona. 

I'm a Postgraduate, so I'm probably more educated than you too. 

Clown. 

These days class can be different than education level. Since education is so freely available. Most of the time though, education correlates to class.

There are educated ppl who follow illogical religions and cultural rituals like not letting their daughters study, female genital mutilation, racism. Or are beset by vices of gambling, alcohol, greed, drug addictions, shopping addictions, harming the environment to make a few more bucks, oppressing people.

You know the wealthy ppl in most undeveloping countries who educate their kids in UK US but are robbing their countries like dictators. 

I think class is how well you can speak, having a large vocabulary, fitting in with any type of person and environment. And raising ur family well so ur children avoid drugs etc without coercion. Having knowledge of history, arts, of one's lineage, of the world. 

But most importantly not being a sheep. Not following popular culture. 

And not being manipulated by other ppl to become angry and start fighting. 

Most ppl who think they are not cowards are classless because they can be easily provoked and start needless fights. A person with class should be able to diffuse most situations, retreat with dignity and fight to death when no choice. 

10 hours ago, Not2Cool2Argue said:

These days class can be different than education level. Since education is so freely available. Most of the time though, education correlates to class.

There are educated ppl who follow illogical religions and cultural rituals like not letting their daughters study, female genital mutilation, racism. Or are beset by vices of gambling, alcohol, greed, drug addictions, shopping addictions, harming the environment to make a few more bucks, oppressing people.

You know the wealthy ppl in most undeveloping countries who educate their kids in UK US but are robbing their countries like dictators. 

I think class is how well you can speak, having a large vocabulary, fitting in with any type of person and environment. And raising ur family well so ur children avoid drugs etc without coercion. Having knowledge of history, arts, of one's lineage, of the world. 

But most importantly not being a sheep. Not following popular culture. 

And not being manipulated by other ppl to become angry and start fighting. 

Most ppl who think they are not cowards are classless because they can be easily provoked and start needless fights. A person with class should be able to diffuse most situations, retreat with dignity and fight to death when no choice. 

I think you're making a lot of presumptions here. 

I don't like this thread because it forces borderline egoic responses but I feel I have to get the alternative perspective out. If linguistic abilities are a marker of class as well as having the ability to communicate across social levels, then your accent doesn't really come into it. I remember at uni when I was around proper middle class white people, their vocabulary wasn't any better than mine, often worse, even if they did speak with 'oxford accents'. People might sound different to that but that doesn't mean they are any less intelligent. You talk about not giving in to popular culture, but making yourself talk in a certain way to fit in with people you perceive to have 'high class' isn't any different to any other sheeplike compromise, even if the utilitarian logic behind it is to give yourself more opportunities by fitting in with power holders.  

If you go by the logic above then Sant Jarnail Singh Ji was 'low class' because they spoke in rustic, common language, in a very common Panjabi man's accent. 

You talk about drugs and class - do you seriously have no idea about how much drugs the middle class and upper class youngsters take??? Coke and stuff. 

I might be as 'common as muck' but do you get the impression that I don't have knowledge of my lineage, my people's history and don't have an interest in art and history in general (as well as many other subjects)?

Face it, many people confuse acting and speaking in a pretentious, supercilious manner as some sort of 'class' marker. That's not class in my books, and the ability to see through this and not fall in line with the oft-repeated thinking demonstrated by Big Tera (and others) is testimony to the ability to not accept such notions like a sheep. 

On 11/23/2019 at 1:07 PM, dallysingh101 said:

I think you're making a lot of presumptions here. 

I don't like this thread because it forces borderline egoic responses but I feel I have to get the alternative perspective out. If linguistic abilities are a marker of class as well as having the ability to communicate across social levels, then your accent doesn't really come into it. I remember at uni when I was around proper middle class white people, their vocabulary wasn't any better than mine, often worse, even if they did speak with 'oxford accents'. People might sound different to that but that doesn't mean they are any less intelligent. You talk about not giving in to popular culture, but making yourself talk in a certain way to fit in with people you perceive to have 'high class' isn't any different to any other sheeplike compromise, even if the utilitarian logic behind it is to give yourself more opportunities by fitting in with power holders.  

If you go by the logic above then Sant Jarnail Singh Ji was 'low class' because they spoke in rustic, common language, in a very common Panjabi man's accent. 

You talk about drugs and class - do you seriously have no idea about how much drugs the middle class and upper class youngsters take??? Coke and stuff. 

I might be as 'common as muck' but do you get the impression that I don't have knowledge of my lineage, my people's history and don't have an interest in art and history in general (as well as many other subjects)?

Face it, many people confuse acting and speaking in a pretentious, supercilious manner as some sort of 'class' marker. That's not class in my books, and the ability to see through this and not fall in line with the oft-repeated thinking demonstrated by Big Tera (and others) is testimony to the ability to not accept such notions like a sheep. 

Excellent post.  Brilliantly put together!

My personal view based upon my own interactions with people who live up to these man made classes are as follows:

Upper Class - People born into a system that generally favours them in all walks of life.  They do appreciate people who work hard and generally enjoy breaking free once in while to let off some steam to escape the pressures which they have been groomed for.  Their worst traits are generally ingrained into them as they have very little interaction outside their own class.  Money isn’t really an issue and neither is the need to flash it with these people.

Middle Class - People trying so hard to please the upper class for acceptance.  These people mould into this class over time, generally as the wealth increases.  They distance themselves from their beginnings and start to sound very different.  They think very carefully before stringing a sentence together, just to insure it is made up of big words and more of them to explain what could be said in just a few.  Not much different from Politicians really.  Every purchase these people make is based upon what the Joneses are doing and for how they are perceived in society.  They are not generally rich but have disposable incomes which allows them to mimic the upper classes.  They are probably the most judgemental and possess the worst traits out of all the classes.

Working Class - People of the soil who are generally ‘what you see is what you get’.  Not much mystery with these people, blunt and completely in touch with the ground.  These people can also be the most charitable as well as they understand struggle.  They don’t sound very eloquent but that is not a measure of intelligence, so don’t be fooled by this.