Punjabi

Dsinghd

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think learning to read Panjabi is important too. It's good if kids grow up seeing parents/family doing this. It should be normalised in families. 

i think back in the days people used to send their kids to punjabi classes at the gurdwara,  my cousins who grew up in the 80s  know how to read broken punjabi    but later on i think parents stopped sending their kids to these classes. 

48 minutes ago, puzzled said:

i think back in the days people used to send their kids to punjabi classes at the gurdwara,  my cousins who grew up in the 80s  know how to read broken punjabi    but later on i think parents stopped sending their kids to these classes. 

Punjabi classes are good learning how to read and write but not necessarily for speaking.

That is the problem. People are not as bothered about the reading and writing but more with the speaking.

This Punjabi speaking is a perennial problem going back decades, this is nothing new. 

The best way to learn how to speak is to go back to Punjab for a while and mix in the environment there, you will pick it up quicker and they will judge you less that you may not be that fluent.

Unlike some of those smug arrogant types you get abroad who will put down people who are not that fluent. 

You hear the same old cr*p spouted about how these kids don't speak Punjabi or how these other kids speak beautiful Punjabi.

6 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

I speak in Punjabi with my parents.

I speak in English with my brother and sister.

We need to speak more Punjabi at home especially with the new generation.

Speaking 2 languages is a skill.

Never forget your mother tongue.

Many Kids today can't even speak English properly let alone Punjabi. I alway make an effort to speak Punjabi when I can. But sometimes Hindi words come out by mistake lol

15 hours ago, proactive said:

I think the bigger danger to Punjabi abroad is the fact that even those who are trying to promote Punjabi see nothing wrong in using English words while they are speaking Punjabi even though there are Punjabi words available. For example, my biggest gripe is when you have presenters on Punjabi TV channels like Akaal Channel saying something like 'Saray Waarld (world) vich Akaal channel ….. I don't know why they cannot use words like Sansar or Jag.. that's a case where there are two perfectly appropriate Punjabi words that they can use. I can understand when they need to use English words because there are no equivalent Punjabi words available such as when using technical or scientific terms. But for everyday words they should be making a conscious effort to use Punjabi words. 

We need to take some inspiration from the Jews who took a dead academic language Hebrew and converted it in a few decades into a living spoken language Modern Hebrew. 

Because I went through a phase of reading and translating Panjabi stuff I learnt words that I never heard growing up, the problem I found with that was that when I used these more 'advanced' words in convos with other (especially desi) Panjabis, they didn't have a clue about them. 

There is a big cultural problem with the ahhm apna not being bothered with increasingly their vocabulary to make it more sophisticated/advanced. This I think goes back to a point Ranjeet made a while ago on another thread about apnay not being remotely bothered about learning when it doesn't directly relate to some career/financial progression. This widespread cultural phenomena of having no respect for improving one's gian for the sake of gian really keeps us undeveloped as a quom. 

The other thing I wanted to say is that if we're trying to get closer to our heritage we need to go even beyond Panjabi. The last few years looking at Dasam Granth just starkly highlighted how important knowing Braj Bhasha vocab is for us. 

Punjabi changes every generation tho    our grandparents used words which we dont use anymore   like  jal for water, umber for clouds,  kineeya for rain,  my nani used to call school madrassa which I guess was from the islamic influence.     In the old days they used to call a hole  mori we now say gali.  To look downwards or beneth they used to say poonje dekh

We say zero in india they say ziffer 

We say chitta in india they say safaid 

I think it also depends on the region of punjab    where from doaba and iv read that doabi punjabi has some nearby pahari influence  and that's why it sounds a little rougher.

I dont like sound of punjabi that they speak in cities and places like delhi! No offence!