Punjabi

Dsinghd

49 minutes ago, Ranjeet01 said:

Punjab gets pretty cold in the winter. It gets much foggier than the UK.

They don't have heating over there and those marble floors don't help either. 

However, you are still guaranteed sunshine.

Northern region is freezing cold in December!  I walk around with a coat and a massive brown shawl thingy everywhere.  Once it was so cold when we were going to fategarh sahib in December and I took my duvet with me in the car and then we stopped at a restaurant and i walked into the restaurant with the duvet wrapped around me    but no one cares there what you look like.

One yr our flight back to the uk was from delhi and in the early morning, so we had to travel from punjab at night and it was the most horrifying journey ever!  Pitch black and fog everywhere.  Driver couldn't drive and more than 20mph! All you could see was about 1 meter of the road infront, fog everywhere   just driving into fog.   Now and then there were street lights and all you could see was truck accidents.   We got off at a restaurant in haryana and we had to hold hands and form a chain otherwise you would of got lost in the fog while walking towards the restaurant. 

Was so scary   never seen anything like that    the night didnt help either    wish I recorded it. 

Iv been to hazur sahib banded in december and it was 30 hot there    boiling. 

On 11/25/2019 at 3:32 AM, dallysingh101 said:

This widespread cultural phenomena of having no respect for improving one's gian for the sake of gian really keeps us undeveloped as a quom. 

Agreed.

Though I do want to mention that

On 11/25/2019 at 3:32 AM, dallysingh101 said:

Because I went through a phase of reading and translating Panjabi stuff I learnt words that I never heard growing up, the problem I found with that was that when I used these more 'advanced' words in convos with other (especially desi) Panjabis, they didn't have a clue about them. 

True. Though (and I don't necessary claim that it applies to you here), sometimes people start reading "book" Punjabi which for some reason our intellectuals have heavily Sanskritized, and that's partially why it's unrecognizable to the average Punjabi.

For example, taking the example given in the post above, "world". Instead of saying "vishav", you'd be better off saying "dunia", probably the most common word an average Punjabi would use for "world."

There are other examples, like using vigiapan instead of the very common and understood ishtihar (poster, advertisement).

On 12/8/2019 at 11:34 AM, Ranjeet01 said:

Punjab gets pretty cold in the winter. It gets much foggier than the UK.

They don't have heating over there and those marble floors don't help either. 

That's not true. You can buy all the heaters you want:
https://www.amazon.in/s?k=room+heaters

If you're talking about central heating, if it's in your own house, you can pay to have installed.

https://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/central-heating-system.html

Or even in your relative's house, if find it useful enough to pay to have them install central heating in the house you'll be staying in.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, puzzled said:

Northern region is freezing cold in December!  I walk around with a coat and a massive brown shawl thingy everywhere.  Once it was so cold when we were going to fategarh sahib in December and I took my duvet with me in the car and then we stopped at a restaurant and i walked into the restaurant with the duvet wrapped around me

Don't scare people off from visiting our homeland, bro. It's not that cold. 

Were people around you wearing rajai's? Just wear thermal underwear.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:23 PM, puzzled said:

One yr our flight back to the uk was from delhi and in the early morning, so we had to travel from punjab at night

Actually you didn't have to. Your family chose to. You should have gone during the day before.

Also, this shows the problem we continue to have in not having enough flights out from Amritsar, which is all the fault of the government.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

We say zero in india they say ziffer 

We say chitta in india they say safaid 

I agree with some of what you said above, but not this.

I don't quite know what you mean by"we", but people use "zero" in Punjab, too. What you write as "ziffer" is actually "siffer". That's what you would say in Punjabi if you don't want to use the English word "zero".

Everybody uses "chitta" in Punjab. It's just that some people used the word "safaid", too. Just like sometimes you would say "sir" (head) and sometimes "sees" (head).

On 11/25/2019 at 6:31 AM, sikhni777 said:

There are enough lonely old people that youngsters can chat to in the guradwara. This can solve 2 problems. Loneliness and pass on the language. It can also help develop social skills. 

Guradwara should try to promote this mix somehow. This will ensure our younger generation will be able to handle the guradwara in the future too. 

Good point. 

Though you'd have to ensure that certain old men don't take advantage of the situation with young girls.

On 11/25/2019 at 2:31 PM, Ranjeet01 said:

It will much safer than hanging out with the bibian who will be on your case as to why you are still not married yet.

Kudos to them!

Only the kaums which encourage their young people to marry early last. The ones that don't are doomed for destruction. I.e., white people who have a negative growth rate.

They marry far too late. Have 0 or 1 children.

So it's good the bibian are telling young people to get married.