Sign in to follow this  
Dsinghdp

Punjabi

I speak in Punjabi with my parents.

I speak in English with my brother and sister.

We need to speak more Punjabi at home especially with the new generation.

Speaking 2 languages is a skill.

Never forget your mother tongue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dsinghdp said:

Are you from Canada?

1 minute ago, Dsinghdp said:

Yes. 

How good is their English?

Do they speak fluently or is it broken English?

Sorry for these questions, but I will explain.

Just now, Ranjeet01 said:

How good is their English?

Do they speak fluently or is it broken English?

Sorry for these questions, but I will explain.

Only my dad can speak broken English. 

Excellent Job Dsingh. However, try to speak punjabi with your brothers and sisters as well regardless of how hard it is. The reason is because you will get married in future (if not yet) and you will speak in english with your partner and punjabi will take the 2nd step and soon it will be gone in your upcoming generation unless lot of speaking practice. I have seen the trend where parents speak punjabi to their kids and kid's reply is always in english.

I try to keep my home 100% punjabi speaking. Respect all language but punjabi is dharamic language ! 

3 minutes ago, Dsinghdp said:

Only my dad can speak broken English. 

Thanks.

In my experience if your parents are from Punjab and their English is not that good, there is going to be a better chance that you will speak Punjabi.

The other scenario is learning Punjabi from grand parents. 

It is going to be increasingly problematic because the baby boomer generation Punjabis that grew up in the UK in the 60's speak English with their kids. These kids now have their own kids and they all speak English.

Every generation that comes after the next is going to be more English.

I speak Punjabi at home as well   with my parents, but with my sister i speak english.  My Punjabi is proper rustic Punjabi lol   Iv been asked a few times if i grew up in Punjab because of my punjabi lol    but people in general tell me my Punjabi is really gd for someone born and raised abroad. All my cousins can speak Punjabi but with a few minor wrong pronunciations here and there    but my Punjabi is on point.   I can read it as well now. 

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I think learning to read Panjabi is important too. It's good if kids grow up seeing parents/family doing this. It should be normalised in families. 

i think back in the days people used to send their kids to punjabi classes at the gurdwara,  my cousins who grew up in the 80s  know how to read broken punjabi    but later on i think parents stopped sending their kids to these classes. 

48 minutes ago, puzzled said:

i think back in the days people used to send their kids to punjabi classes at the gurdwara,  my cousins who grew up in the 80s  know how to read broken punjabi    but later on i think parents stopped sending their kids to these classes. 

Punjabi classes are good learning how to read and write but not necessarily for speaking.

That is the problem. People are not as bothered about the reading and writing but more with the speaking.

This Punjabi speaking is a perennial problem going back decades, this is nothing new. 

The best way to learn how to speak is to go back to Punjab for a while and mix in the environment there, you will pick it up quicker and they will judge you less that you may not be that fluent.

Unlike some of those smug arrogant types you get abroad who will put down people who are not that fluent. 

You hear the same old cr*p spouted about how these kids don't speak Punjabi or how these other kids speak beautiful Punjabi.

6 hours ago, Dsinghdp said:

Many Kids today can't even speak English properly let alone Punjabi. I alway make an effort to speak Punjabi when I can. But sometimes Hindi words come out by mistake lol

I actually think some Pakistani Punjabis can speak better then some indian Punjabis.

Some Apne struggle and barely make sense with their Punjabi.I can barely make out what they are saying. With so much stuttering and unclear speech.