Don't call yourself a Sikh if you eat meat.

kidsama

8 hours ago, kidsama said:

There are many reasons to NOT eat meat but I will list the most important one; because our gurus said so, and it's in SGGS, over and over again. "Sikhs" who say it's okay to eat meat, even the ones keeping dari kesh, are ones who don't even read SGGS.

Sir, I'm afraid your assertions are incorrect. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj does not comment on such matters. These things are covered by Rehit Maryada. It seems, in fact, that you have not read Gurbani. You've misinterpreted these pangtis in such a way where you have completely missed the point lol. It is not even talking about diet but of course, anything to push an agenda and one that's been beaten to death - and - failed every time.

ਤੁਮ ਕੌਣ ਹੋ ਯਹ ਬਤਾਨੇ ਕੇ ਲੀਏ ਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਹੂੰ ਯਹ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੂੰ? ਐਸਾ ਲਗਤਾ ਹੈ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਤੂ ਖੁਦ ਗੁਰੂਵਾਣੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੜਤਾ

ਚੁਪਚਾਪ ਬੈਠ ਔਰ ਸ੍ਰਵਣ ਕਰ ਛੋਰਾ.... ਯਾਦ ਰੱਖੀ..ਤੂ ਕਿਸੇ ਦਾ ਅਫਸਰ ਨੀ ?.....

“Living by neglect and greed, the world eats dead carcasses. Like a goblin or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat. Control your urges, or else you will be thrown into the tortures of hell.” (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 723).

First of all the Uthanka or historical context of the shabad - this shabad is in Raag Tilang which is a Raag often used when a Muslim is being addressed, which is the case here; one will notice the heavy use of Farsi and Arabic:

Sangat from Kabul were on their way to take gifts for Sri Guru Arjan Dev Ji and to have their darshan.

Along the route there was a river once they reached Attock. They came across a man named Aalam who was a boatman. The Sangat approached him and told him they're on the way to see Guru Sahib and that they need him to get them across the river. Aalam said "give me the valuable things you're taking for Guru Sahib and I'll get you across". The Sangat replied "we will not give you anything out of these gifts but whatever your fees are, we are happy to pay". Aalam refused their offer and refused to take them across, and then left to walk back to his house. The Sangat decided to sit down and do Kirtan.

On his way home walking, Aalam began to lose his vision and everything started to go black. At this point he panicked and turned back towards the Sangat. With his hands folded he asked for forgiveness and admitted he had made a big mistake. The Sangat said "we are not the ones who can redeem you, the only bakshanhaar is Guru Sahib!". After doing a benti his vision began to return and he lovingly took the Sangat across the river. He accompanied the Sangat to Amritsar to see Guru Sahib. In order to keep Aalam's hankaar - ego at bay Maharaaj Ji did ucharan of a shabad (which you have pasted terribly out of context):

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਖਾਕ ਨੂਰ ਕਰਦੰ ਆਲਮ ਦੁਨੀਆਇ ॥ ਅਸਮਾਨ ਜਿਮੀ ਦਰਖਤ ਆਬ ਪੈਦਾਇਸਿ ਖੁਦਾਇ ॥੧॥
The Lord infused His Light into the dust, and created the world, the universe. The sky, the earth, the trees, and the water - all are the Creation of the Lord. ||1||

Here Guru Sahib is saying: O Aalam! Akaal Purkh has created this whole universe through his noor/jyot/light and power of Maya, through the five elements.

ਬੰਦੇ ਚਸਮ ਦੀਦੰ ਫਨਾਇ ॥ ਦੁਨੀਆ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਖੁਰਦਨੀ ਗਾਫਲ ਹਵਾਇ ॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
O human being, whatever you can see with your eyes, shall perish. The world eats dead carcasses, living by neglect and greed. ||Pause||

Here Guru Sahib is saying: O man, Aalam! Whatever you can see with your eyes will perish. The world, by speaking and living in falsehood is consuming unpure things i.e. they're metaphorically eating carcasses, carrion - rubbish which certain animals eat. Their greed and desire is making them careless and ignorant - they have a lack of sentience.

ਗੈਬਾਨ ਹੈਵਾਨ ਹਰਾਮ ਕੁਸਤਨੀ ਮੁਰਦਾਰ ਬਖੋਰਾਇ ॥
Like a goblin, or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat.

Here Guru Sahib is saying: [taking the above into account] humans have become like unseen beings such as ghosts, and like animals; they have begun to metaphorically kill and eat living beings. They're consuming forbidden things - thing which are haraam because of their ego, desire, greed etc.

ਦਿਲ ਕਬਜ ਕਬਜਾ ਕਾਦਰੋ ਦੋਜਕ ਸਜਾਇ ॥੨॥
So control your urges, or else you will be seized by the Lord, and thrown into the tortures of hell. ||2||

Here Guru Sahib is saying: The heart, the soul has been seized by Maya (the greed, desire, lust etc) and it is keeping the heart away from the all powerful Akaal Purkh. Because of which one will have to reap their punishment in hell.

Now read the whole (there's more pangtis) shabad with the Uthanka in mind. Posting one pangti out of context is ridiculous.

Gurbar Akaal!

15 hours ago, MrDoaba said:

ਤੁਮ ਕੌਣ ਹੋ ਯਹ ਬਤਾਨੇ ਕੇ ਲੀਏ ਕੇ ਮੈਂ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਹੂੰ ਯਹ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੂੰ? ਐਸਾ ਲਗਤਾ ਹੈ ਕ੍ਯਾ ਤੂ ਖੁਦ ਗੁਰੂਵਾਣੀ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੜਤਾ

I dunno if you are writing Hindi in Gurmukhi for jokes, but lol

They eat flesh of all  dead animals because they are walking, talking, blood -sucking, egoistic, greedy evil vampires of the kalyuga. They have no interest in Sikhi or the Sikh Gurus. They are all totally loopy and a danger to us genuine Sikhs! We love everything about Sikhi and no one dare ape us! We are the true Sikhs!

The present day rakshash/vampires are full of poisonous vibes with god given gift to bad mouth everyone/anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path!  Sikhi teaches love, forgiveness and compassion. We mustn’t hate anyone. We must love everyone.

I have come across numerous goofy Sikhs who misinterpret the Gurbani to justify their huge appetites for flesh, alcohol, tobacco and lust. I am still not over the shock I feel towards their ignorance and lack of respect/regard towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji! Shame on them! They are all going to be punished in hell.

1 hour ago, CHaamCHrick said:

They eat flesh of all  dead animals because they are walking, talking, blood -sucking, egoistic, greedy evil vampires of the kalyuga. They have no interest in Sikhi or the Sikh Gurus. They are all totally loopy and a danger to us genuine Sikhs! We love everything about Sikhi and no one dare ape us! We are the true Sikhs!

The present day rakshash/vampires are full of poisonous vibes with god given gift to bad mouth everyone/anyone unfortunate enough to cross their path!  Sikhi teaches love, forgiveness and compassion. We mustn’t hate anyone. We must love everyone.

I have come across numerous goofy Sikhs who misinterpret the Gurbani to justify their huge appetites for flesh, alcohol, tobacco and lust. I am still not over the shock I feel towards their ignorance and lack of respect/regard towards Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji! Shame on them! They are all going to be punished in hell.

Fully support your feeling good about your vegetarianism. Always be careful condemning a group to hell...not sure whos in it...could be a Saint...could be someone Greater. 

On 11/29/2019 at 7:36 PM, kidsama said:

Sikhi nowadays has just become an identity for most people. They feel proud they are sikh, which is good, but that's really where their sikhi ends. They drink alcohol, eat meat, practice in lust, and still call themselves a sikh. You maybe a "sikh" but not a sikh of the gurus. 

There are many reasons to NOT eat meat but I will list the most important one; because our gurus said so, and it's in SGGS, over and over again. "Sikhs" who say it's okay to eat meat, even the ones keeping dari kesh, are ones who don't even read SGGS.

“You keep your fasts to please Allah, while you murder other beings for pleasure. You look after your own interests, and so not see the interests of others. What good is your word? O Qazi, the One Lord is within you, but you do not think or contemplation on Him. You do not care for others, you are mad about religion, this is why your life is wasting away.” (Kabir, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 483) 

That's what sikhi is becoming today. People are focused on the religion side than the spiritual side, what really matters.. Katha people, instead of doing actual katha are saying stuff like,  "ladies should do kirtan in Harmandir Sahib" or "Stop using milk to clean the gold in Harmandir Sahib and use chemical sprays." And people listen to these guys, cuz they seem to be "modern" and just add on to their ego. I am straying a bit off topic, but this is important, we must not forget our roots. We are sikhs. And a sikh simply does what the guru says. Don't listen to these manmukhs. Read Gurbani yourself.

“Living by neglect and greed, the world eats dead carcasses. Like a goblin or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat. Control your urges, or else you will be thrown into the tortures of hell.” (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 723).

You're right. 

On 11/29/2019 at 7:45 PM, MrDoaba said:

Sir, I'm afraid your assertions are incorrect. Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji Maharaaj does not comment on such matters. These things are covered by Rehit Maryada. It seems, in fact, that you have not read Gurbani. You've misinterpreted these pangtis in such a way where you have completely missed the point lol. It is not even talking about diet but of course, anything to push an agenda and one that's been beaten to death - and - failed every time.

brother, you have proven my point that people are attached to the Identity of being a "sikh" rather than actually practicing it. And brother, you are also wrong about SGGS not talking about such topics. Gurbani talks about lust, meat, etc many times: 

“To take what rightfully belongs to another, is like a Muslim eating pork, or a Hindu eating beef. Our Guru, our Spiritual Guide, stands by us if we do not eat those carcasses. By mere talk, people do not earn Liberation. Salvation only comes from the practice of truth. By adding spices to forbidden foods, they are not made acceptable. O Nanak, from false talk, only falsehood is obtained”. (Guru Nanak Dev Ji, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 141)

And this is just from SGGS. Also, not to mention the karmic effects of eating meat. A normal meat eater eats 7000 animals in his lifetime. IF you think this has no consequence you are stupid. Also not to mention the effect of meat and such food on your own mind, body and soul. How are you supposed to battle Kaam, Krodh, if you can't even control your tongue? 

“Kabeer says, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent when flavored with salt. Who would cut throats to have meat with his bread?” (Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 1374)

I could go on brother.. Please think about this. 

“Do not cause pain to any creature, Go back to your Home with honour.” (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, pg 322)

I don't know why you are beating a dead horse. The maas argument has been argued since olden times, just re-using arguments that have been used for ages. Who are you trying to change? Focus on your own kamai and jeevan.

PS: I am a vegetarian myself.