Don't call yourself a Sikh if you eat meat.

kidsama

On 11/29/2019 at 11:36 AM, kidsama said:

Sikhi nowadays has just become an identity for most people. They feel proud they are sikh, which is good, but that's really where their sikhi ends. They drink alcohol, eat meat, practice in lust, and still call themselves a sikh. You maybe a "sikh" but not a sikh of the gurus. 

There are many reasons to NOT eat meat but I will list the most important one; because our gurus said so, and it's in SGGS, over and over again. "Sikhs" who say it's okay to eat meat, even the ones keeping dari kesh, are ones who don't even read SGGS.

“You keep your fasts to please Allah, while you murder other beings for pleasure. You look after your own interests, and so not see the interests of others. What good is your word? O Qazi, the One Lord is within you, but you do not think or contemplation on Him. You do not care for others, you are mad about religion, this is why your life is wasting away.” (Kabir, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 483) 

That's what sikhi is becoming today. People are focused on the religion side than the spiritual side, what really matters.. Katha people, instead of doing actual katha are saying stuff like,  "ladies should do kirtan in Harmandir Sahib" or "Stop using milk to clean the gold in Harmandir Sahib and use chemical sprays." And people listen to these guys, cuz they seem to be "modern" and just add on to their ego. I am straying a bit off topic, but this is important, we must not forget our roots. We are sikhs. And a sikh simply does what the guru says. Don't listen to these manmukhs. Read Gurbani yourself.

“Living by neglect and greed, the world eats dead carcasses. Like a goblin or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat. Control your urges, or else you will be thrown into the tortures of hell.” (Guru Arjan Dev, Guru Granth Sahib Ji, 723).

You should read prof. Sahib Singh teeka. Don't rely on English translation of Gurbani.   They mislead the reader.  Muslims say certain things are haram/forbidden to eat according to Islam Law.  Yet the real thing that is forbidden,  greed.  Is being eaten by the world and they due this by forgetting the whole world is perishable. 

The current groups that are promoting meat, like nihang Singhs have no right eating animals.  They have become greedy and ritualistic like anointing weapons with goats blood after killing the innocent animal. Weapons were given to the Khalsa for defense of the poor, weak, and innocent and not because the weapons NEED blood.  These rituals are no different than throwing water at the sun hoping your dead ancestors would receive it.  Same goes for the Sikhs that eat meat from anywhere and think its permissible.   If you want to say meat is formed from water just like vegetables.   Than your dead relative should not be cremated or buried.   His flesh is no different than an animal.  The soul has left the body and the body is only flesh. Extreme example??? No at all.  You think its extreme because you are emotionally attached to the dead relative.   Even though hes dead, you still will not let anyone harm the carcass.   You see the good the carcass did when God had kept the carcass alive.  It served a purpose that you valued.  That same life exists in the animal you have killed for food.  But you don't value that life for the same reason you will not hesitate to take from someone you don't know or care about. 

21 hours ago, kidsama said:

brother, you have proven my point that people are attached to the Identity of being a "sikh" rather than actually practicing it. And brother, you are also wrong about SGGS not talking about such topics. Gurbani talks about lust, meat, etc many times:

I think you have proven your own point, because you seem to think diet maketh the Sikh. Your Sikhi Jeevan seems to consist of what is on others plates. You have no idea how anyone practises Sikhi or not. All you've done is make another garbage post and ignored what I shared with you.

First of all you can't even be bothered to post the Gurmukhi, the actual Gurbani. Relying on translations is a folly; it's clear from your interpretations you have no idea what the pangtis are talking about. It's laughable. Second of all, even from the crappy English translations one can tell they're not talking about diet lmao - from which I can deduce even your Angrezi needs work.

21 hours ago, kidsama said:

And this is just from SGGS. Also, not to mention the karmic effects of eating meat. A normal meat eater eats 7000 animals in his lifetime. IF you think this has no consequence you are stupid. Also not to mention the effect of meat and such food on your own mind, body and soul. How are you supposed to battle Kaam, Krodh, if you can't even control your tongue? 

Oh nice, in one line "brother" the next "stupid". ਬੜਾ ਚੰਗਾ ਭਾਈ ਨਿਕਲਿਆ ਤੂੰ ??

What concern of yours is mine or anyone else's karma? Are you an Evangelical Christian who wants to save the Sangatan?

If you're such an ucha sucha vegetarian I assume you adhere to a Sattvik diet??? I'm sure you only eat pure veg which is unflavoured and the simplest of the simple. If not then how do you battle kaam and krodh? Majority of your shakahaari bros eat whatever the hell they eat for taste too so tu es gal te boht fail ho gaya. #VegiFail

ਸਿਰ ਜਾਵੇ ਤਾ ਜਾਵੇ, ਮੇਰਾ ਪਨੀਰ ਪਕੌੜਾ ਨਾ ਜਾਵੇ ?

I could go on brother.. Please think about this. 

ਬੱਡਾ ਆਇਆ....ਬੋਲੀ ਜਾ ਜੋ ਬੋਲਣਾ ਆਹ...ਕਮਲ ਕੁੱਟੀ ਜਾ. ਮੇਰਾ ਖੇੜਾ ਛੱਡ

ਦੂਜਿਆਂ ਦੇ ਲਈ ਇਕ ਚੇਤਾਵਨੀ: ਬਾਕੀਆਂ ਦੀ ਗੱਲ ਛੱਡੋ ਆਪ ਨਾ ਜਹੰਨਮ ਵਿਚ ਡੁੱਬ ਜਾਇਓ ?

Bhul Chuk Maaf
Gurbar Akaal!

1 hour ago, Big_Tera said:

Eating veg be won't make you a saint. You may eat veg. But how did that veg come about. Through the blood and sweat of some orphan in a third world country? 

Then you think you can lecture meat eaters?

you are right. eating veg doesn't make you a saint. 

As for your other point, I am not even gonna bother. You guys will just come up with one nonsense justification after another. 

17 hours ago, Akalifauj said:

You should read prof. Sahib Singh teeka. Don't rely on English translation of Gurbani.   They mislead the reader.  Muslims say certain things are haram/forbidden to eat according to Islam Law.  Yet the real thing that is forbidden,  greed.  Is being eaten by the world and they due this by forgetting the whole world is perishable. 

fo sho. I am only writing the english translations here to get the point across. Cuz most sikhs who actually read gurbani don't eat meat. So this post is for people who do eat meat and aren't familiar with Gurbani much, maybe new sikhs.. like me, or younger audience, etc. 

18 hours ago, FreshMind13 said:

I don't know why you are beating a dead horse. The maas argument has been argued since olden times, just re-using arguments that have been used for ages. Who are you trying to change? Focus on your own kamai and jeevan.

PS: I am a vegetarian myself.

what's the point of this whole sikh forum platform if we don't discuss such topics. And maybe not everybody is old and experienced as you. There are many new/young sikhs, and there is a lot of bad info on the web. Maybe this post will get one meat eater to start thinking about this..that's pretty good for me.