Upanishads

puzzled

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have felt fascinated with them since about 2-3 years now. I have a pdf of 10 mukhya upanishads. I read it sometimes. Its english translation because I don't know sanskrit.

Upanishads are basically vedant (ved + ant(ending)) .They're the conclusion portions of the vedas . As vedas were revealed over a span of hundreds of years, the initial mantras mostly focused on worship of the natural forces and phenomenon like Fire, Earth, Wind, Skies, etc , but over the span as the society developed, rishis realized the god underlying all these forces is one. They called it Parbrahm . Its the only god we sikhs worship as 'waheguru' . 

Anyways, the point is yes they're riddlesome books of fine wisdom and philosophy. The one you're reading Isha Upanishad is still simpler to understand for layman. If you were to pick up Brihadaranyaka (great forest) Upanishad, it will surely give you a headspin, because it has so many riddlish allegories in it. Although commentaries are available of the same. 

I'm reading the one with yamraj/dharamraj and the boy who ends up in yamrajs abode while yamraj is away for 3 days.   Yamraj then apologizes for not serving his guest for 3 days.  Some parts of this katha are very haunting     its basically a convo with death.   Yamraj offers the boy women, wealth, land  as a gift for  not being able to serve the boy while he was away from his abode  and the boy says what use are these things when I'm standing here looking at death in the face.   

13 hours ago, puzzled said:

I'm reading the one with yamraj/dharamraj and the boy who ends up in yamrajs abode while yamraj is away for 3 days.   Yamraj then apologizes for not serving his guest for 3 days.  Some parts of this katha are very haunting     its basically a convo with death.   Yamraj offers the boy women, wealth, land  as a gift for  not being able to serve the boy while he was away from his abode  and the boy says what use are these things when I'm standing here looking at death in the face.   

The story of nachiketa and Yam. 

3 hours ago, AjeetSingh2019 said:

You should. 

Also read Quran. I found it mostly beautiful message of God, just like upanishads

I read the Koran years ago. I didn't see it remotely like you. Having nice verses, which are then followed by blindly violent commands against kafirs, jews and whatnot doesn't cut it in my eyes. Also all that stuff about sex slaves - which explains a lot about the perversions we see in their diasporic communities. 

I like their attitudes towards gays though.......

1 hour ago, dallysingh101 said:

I read the Koran years ago. I didn't see it remotely like you. Having nice verses, which are then followed by blindly violent commands against kafirs, jews and whatnot doesn't cut it in my eyes. Also all that stuff about sex slaves - which explains a lot about the perversions we see in their diasporic communities. 

I like their attitudes towards gays though.......

The problem is you started with typical Islam and Muslim hatred that runs in Sikh families.

You didn't like Quran because you read it shallow, not much different than how isis or fanatic mullahs read it.

It doesn't hv violent verses. It originated at a time of chaos and fighting in Arabia . So waheguru told prophet that he should wage a war against the violent disbelievers who hurt prophet. 

Overtime however ppl like u only saw violence in it. 

Remember Quran and Sggs and Vedas have same author, that one almighty.

You like fanatic mullahs opinion on gays ? Dude ur sick.