Academic culture in Punjab

Guest Guest Singh

2 hours ago, dallysingh101 said:

So the 'kingpins' that Juts repeatedly vote in in Panjab are responsible for its appalling state in terms of economic progress.  That's a self-inflicted problem. 

And it doesn't do much to counter the impression that that section of the community are backwards either. 

Yes and No.

They are not that backwards in certain ways not in others. 

The Jut community have more brains than other communities in certain things.

What I have begun to realise is that there is more than one type of intelligence. We put too much emphasis on traditional academic learning.

It does not suit everyone.

The Jut is very much more hands on. The traditional Jut would probably more suited to an apprenticeship route.

This is my opinion.

On 12/15/2019 at 8:37 AM, dallysingh101 said:

There is an anti--intellectual culture back home. There is little to no culture of appreciating/developing gian for gian's sake - and it explains a lot of what we see. 

I think it would be  short-sighted to not appreciate the wider context, which is the entire political and economic environment we find ourselves in, in Punjab.

The fact is that if a pro-Punjab government would ever be elected, it would be extremely difficult for it to accomplish its program.

The very fact that Punjabis are fairly successful abroad and they do obtain degrees in all sorts of subjects seems to demonstrate that there's nothing inherent in us that holds us back, rather it's just the environment.

So basically, we're in a vicious cycle: 1) we're uneducated, so we don't elect a pro-Punjab government

2) we need to elect a pro-Punjab government to allow for education and economic opportunities so that we can become educated.

And by education I don't just mean "chemical engineering" or something. I also mean Sikh values and what we as a Panth should aspire to.

The dalit vote is actually more valuable and bigger gain for politicians because dalits make the majority. That's why around that time of the year the local MLAs give bikes to chamar children and enroll the chamar girls onto sewing courses and give the boys jobs in the city areas. A lot of pinds now have chamar sirpenchs  it's a law now     it's all for the dalit vote.   In our pind the governments have made the dalits concrete roads while everyone else still has brick roads. 

In my dads pind the sirpench is a chamar and the government gave him money to repair the roads in the pind   he repaired like 4 streets and the rest of the money he put in his pocket     

Dalit vote counts more because they are the majority.  

The whole thing is far more complex than people think. 

47 minutes ago, puzzled said:

The dalit vote is actually more valuable and bigger gain for politicians because dalits make the majority. That's why around that time of the year the local MLAs give bikes to chamar children and enroll the chamar girls onto sewing courses and give the boys jobs in the city areas. A lot of pinds now have chamar sirpenchs  it's a law now     it's all for the dalit vote.   In our pind the governments have made the dalits concrete roads while everyone else still has brick roads. 

In my dads pind the sirpench is a chamar and the government gave him money to repair the roads in the pind   he repaired like 4 streets and the rest of the money he put in his pocket     

Dalit vote counts more because they are the majority.  

The whole thing is far more complex than people think. 

No matter what social background they belong to they are all crooks. 

They are all as bad as each other

18 hours ago, Ranjeet01 said:

No matter what social background they belong to they are all crooks. 

They are all as bad as each other

Yh they are    that man has left the pind looking like an absolute mess    just heaps of sand on every street but  no material to finish it off because there is no money left because he hogged it all    it's been like that for the last 3 yrs  just heaps of sand everywhere in the pind and unfinished roads. 

Guest Guest Singh
On 12/15/2019 at 11:59 PM, Guest jigsaw_puzzled_singh said:

? Love the way our 'guest guest' friend here sees a thread of mine about the decline of intellectual academia among Punjabis and, instead of posting on it, decides to start a brand new one in which he says "he's been thinking recently about academic culture". Well played brother. Well played. 

Your thread was also a part of my recent experience and thinking ji. It's anyways all good as long as we discuss the problems in the panth, right? Although there have been more observations than solutions in this thread so far but I feel like we're building towards something.

If we look at the Bengalis, they have had 2 Nobel prize winners in the last 21 years only. What is it really that they're doing right? Can Punjab learn from them?

Guest Jigsaw_Puzzled_Singh
21 hours ago, puzzled said:

that man has left the pind looking like an absolute mess    

^ Maybe it's just me but everytime I read that I read it as him getting into a taxi to get out of the pend but with his hair disheveled, shirt not tucked in and a roll of toilet paper stuck to the sole of his shoe. 

On 12/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, puzzled said:

My cousin in india always skipped school and failed his exams so his dad  my mama basically used  to pay the teachers to pass his exams and enter him into the next yr  lol   my mama is has a lot of connections in the local area and got away with it lol   

It's really bad isn't it

Honestly I think that's how a lot of people in india make it to the top    not just Punjab but all over the country 

My mama even used to get his sons out of jail  because he knew the police officers. 

Corruption is the fast path  in that country.   

The whole country is a mess   absolute mess   

Once  I witnessed a gentleman in the middle of a corrupt transaction with someone I knew.  I came and told my dad and he told me not to tell anyone else. It happened on my way to school and suddenly I stopped to speak to the this person but he just kept ignoring me as I was waiting for him to finish dealing with this other guy i more or less heard and understood everything they were on about. I couldn't wait to go home that day so I could tell my pappa  ji everything. Did your mama wear dark glasses and short trousers by any chance? I am just trying to find out if it is the same man I saw when I was on  my way to school that day.  My school was roughly 3 miles away from our home, my pappa ji had bought me a young donkey so I could travel to school everyday. The kids in our village made a laughing stock of my means of transport, this made me feel very sorry for the donkey. One day I decided to walk along with the donkey instead of riding on his back.  It was not very uncommon to see young boys wearing very short shorts with no sandals or shoes in my village. You could say that it was considered very trendy to be dressed like that in fact,  dishevelled look was the 'in' thing in those days.  Everyone tried to look as dishevelled as possible so that no one will pick on them or bullied.  Once I saw a woman in her forties bribing a man with some cash. As I was a typical nosy parker in those days, I pretended not to be looking in her direction or listening to what she was saying to this other guy, when I was evesdropping like no one's ever done it before. I heard every single word she said.  Apparently she was caught having fun with three very dashing toy boys one evening by this man and he was demanding money to keep his mouth shut. She was literally begging him not to go and tell her othe half.  She even promised to cook currhie choll with pakoras to appease this filthy man, but he will not have any of it.  He just wanted her money and the poor woman was crying like hell, but he won't listen.  So, in the end, she just took some money out of her diamond studded bra and gave it to him. So shocking to see all this.

Guest chess_champ
On 12/17/2019 at 7:50 PM, Guest Guest Singh said:

Your thread was also a part of my recent experience and thinking ji. It's anyways all good as long as we discuss the problems in the panth, right? Although there have been more observations than solutions in this thread so far but I feel like we're building towards something.

If we look at the Bengalis, they have had 2 Nobel prize winners in the last 21 years only. What is it really that they're doing right? Can Punjab learn from them?

If you think you can compete with Bengalis, you are joking bro! No one can beat them when it comes to being innovative, they are the visionaries of india, Subash Chandra Bose! Rabindra Nath Tagore is said to have turned down the knighthood offered to him just before the independance.  Satyajit Ray was famous all over the world. Bengalis are very sophisticated people, they are proud of their culture and take education very seriously.